Tropical storm (now hurricane) Florence - head's up for next week!

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: Tropical storm Florence - head's up for next week!

I used to really love the weather underground site. But weather.com bought them a couple of years ago and now their site is junk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Florence's projected path is getting a little too close to Ocean City for comfort. :eek:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I used to really love the weather underground site. But weather.com bought them a couple of years ago and now their site is junk
Weather channel was bought by IBM back in 2015, didn't know they bought the weather underground too. But I am surprised you use a service named after a famous leftist terrorist organization

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Weather channel was bought by IBM back in 2015, didn't know they bought the weather underground too. But I am surprised you use a service named after a famous leftist terrorist organization
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

Selfishly, I'd like Florence to go a little more south so that we can get the rain in north Alabama. But, hopefully anyone that ends up in the path of Florence are safe wherever they choose to go.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Looks like we're heading NE tomorrow or Wednesday. Expected to be gone for a while, 140mph at landfall is going to be pretty dang serious. Between catastrophic wind and it stalling over North Carolina, it's going to be a serious disaster.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Looks like we're heading NE tomorrow or Wednesday. Expected to be gone for a while, 140mph at landfall is going to be pretty dang serious. Between catastrophic wind and it stalling over North Carolina, it's going to be a serious disaster.
they sending you to the Outer Banks?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

my wife and daughter are scheduled to go to hilton head next monday for the week (i am flying down later in the week). it looks like the storm is trending more northward. godspeed to all in its path, looks like it is going to be a bad one.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Thank you for your service, Barehand...and please be safe!

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

We live in the Chesapeake/Norfolk area of Virginia and are hunkering down. The org I work for is prepping for a disaster response as soon as the storm clears. Teams will be on the ground to provide safe water, hot meals, hot showers via our brand new shower trailer developed in tandem with Kohler, and then eventually moving on to gutting houses, clearing debris from roads and on houses with our chainsaw and heavy machinery crews, helping residents sort through belongings and eventually to rebuilding some of these houses for families who are really in need.

We will likely be partnering with local churches to et up distribution sites as well as shelter sites. The goal initially is to make sure affected residents have access to the essentials: food and water. Showers make people feel human again. Then get the roads clear and help people get their homes in order for FEMA to come through and make an assessment. The ones who fall though the cracks are the ones we try to rebuild homes for...depending on what sort of funds we have available.

Anybody who doesn't have a local charity they trust and who wants to help should consider us. You can either give OR, after the storm clears we will certainly be needing volunteers. I don't know what the housing arrangements would look like, sometimes we can provide through a rec center or church, sometimes not.

Obviously there are plenty of great charities doing great work so if you feel led to help, do so wherever. This one looks like it's going to be a real doozy and the first week is going to be VERY crucial.

https://www.ob.org/disaster-relief/

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

We live in the Chesapeake/Norfolk area of Virginia and are hunkering down. The org I work for is prepping for a disaster response as soon as the storm clears. Teams will be on the ground to provide safe water, hot meals, hot showers via our brand new shower trailer developed in tandem with Kohler, and then eventually moving on to gutting houses, clearing debris from roads and on houses with our chainsaw and heavy machinery crews, helping residents sort through belongings and eventually to rebuilding some of these houses for families who are really in need.

We will likely be partnering with local churches to et up distribution sites as well as shelter sites. The goal initially is to make sure affected residents have access to the essentials: food and water. Showers make people feel human again. Then get the roads clear and help people get their homes in order for FEMA to come through and make an assessment. The ones who fall though the cracks are the ones we try to rebuild homes for...depending on what sort of funds we have available.

Anybody who doesn't have a local charity they trust and who wants to help should consider us. You can either give OR, after the storm clears we will certainly be needing volunteers. I don't know what the housing arrangements would look like, sometimes we can provide through a rec center or church, sometimes not.

Obviously there are plenty of great charities doing great work so if you feel led to help, do so wherever. This one looks like it's going to be a real doozy and the first week is going to be VERY crucial.

https://www.ob.org/disaster-relief/
Thanks for providing this informative post as well as your website address. Very impressive and gives me a sense pride that there are organizations in place to supplement whatever FEMA cannot address .

The good part about this storm is people have a lot of time to prepare - in whatever way makes the most sense for their particular situation.

I have an older brother who lives in Portsmouth and will be calling him shortly just to touch base and let him know I'm thinking of him.

This looks like a very nasty storm.....Lord help those in it's path......

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Thanks for providing this informative post as well as your website address. Very impressive and gives me a sense pride that there are organizations in place to supplement whatever FEMA cannot address .

The good part about this storm is people have a lot of time to prepare - in whatever way makes the most sense for their particular situation.

I have an older brother who lives in Portsmouth and will be calling him shortly just to touch base and let him know I'm thinking of him.

This looks like a very nasty storm.....Lord help those in it's path......
Portsmouth is basically underwater so I hope he stays safe. Very glad I don't live in downtown Norfolk anymore. We should be fine in Chesapeake.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

138 mph winds and expected to strengthen to near Cat 5 now. I hope people take this one seriously and get out.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT1+shtml/102055.shtml?

A NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft foundpeak SFMR winds of about 120 kt, with flight-level winds and
dropsonde measurements also supporting that value for the initial
wind speed estimate. Notably, the aircraft data also show the size
of the hurricane-force winds has doubled in the past 12 hours.

None of the guidance suggest that Florence has peaked in intensity,
and this is supported by a continuation of a low-shear environment,
and even warmer waters over the next 36 hours. Thus, the intensity
forecast is raised from the previous one, bringing Florence close
to category 5 strength tomorrow. Near landfall, the vertical wind
shear could increase, along with the increasing likelihood of
eyewall cycles. While the intensity forecast shows some weakening
of the maximum winds near landfall, the wind field is expected to
grow with time, which increases the storm surge and inland wind
threats. The bottom line is that there is high confidence that
Florence will be a large and extremely dangerous hurricane,
regardless of its exact intensity.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.