What I see after Week 2

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Clemson would not have won that game if Lawrence would have played the whole game. Yes he’s more talented, but the rush was getting to him. Bryant was able to evade it just enough. In time, Lawrence will be the guy but last night he would have gotten them beat.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Clemson would not have won that game if Lawrence would have played the whole game. Yes he’s more talented, but the rush was getting to him. Bryant was able to evade it just enough. In time, Lawrence will be the guy but last night he would have gotten them beat.
Agreed. The only reason Clemson had any chance was the play and leadership of Bryant. Dont get me wrong TL is super talented. But he would have cost them the game last night if he played the second half in place of KB. He is not yet ready to take the team over yet.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Jalen was a 65.2% passer entering the playoff in 2016, too.

Completion pct is one of the most misleading stats out there since a QB can throw a short out to Ardarius Stewart, watch him do all the work, and then even though he only threw the ball five yards, he gets credit for 30 off of high pct passes.

Bryant's only real problem is that he isn't DeShaun Watson.
I was just saying that he’s a competent passer, made a couple of big throws last night (one to Renfrow :( ) and you’re right he isn’t Watson but just like us and UGA, Clemson QB competition is overrated. Lawrence’s time will come but not yet.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I agree and I'm worried about the OL too. Tua is getting off a lot of passes because he is so shifty in the pocket but pressure is getting to where he's at in the pocket waaaaaaaay to much. If we had a statue QB we would probably have been sacked 10-15 times already.

The Run blocking isn't doing very well either. Like you say we aren't getting much of a push at all. A lot of our better runs is the RB making a cutback and finding a lane that wasn't there by design.

I've said numerous times since 2013-14 that I'd back the Brinks truck up to Jeff Stoutland's house to get him back. Shatter the College pay scale for OL coaches if need be but that guy can Coach an OL up.
I wonder why Saban still has the same OLine coach if he has not done much the past few years. He could have hired someone this year I imagine. I don't understand what the issues are at OLine, especially since most people said they could be one of the best in awhile.

It makes me nervous about most all the SEC games because we really need a good run game and time for Tua to pass without getting hurt.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I wonder why Saban still has the same OLine coach if he has not done much the past few years. He could have hired someone this year I imagine. I don't understand what the issues are at OLine, especially since most people said they could be one of the best in awhile.

It makes me nervous about most all the SEC games because we really need a good run game and time for Tua to pass without getting hurt.
Well after Stoutland the OL coach was Mario Cristobal who I was never fond off TBH.

He's at Oregon now and for the last 3 seasons we've been phasing Brent Key into the job.

I'm not sure if the coaching is the problem or the fact that out of the 5 guys starting only Jonah Williams is in the same spot as last year...... or it could be a little of both.

But we've got to get it fixed because too much pressure is getting through on passing plays and we're not getting much push on running plays.

That's a real bad combination when your OL is struggling with both areas. I hope it gets better soon.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Right now I think the Georgia or Auburn D lines would go through our o-line like a hot knife through butter. Much work to do but I think we can get vast improvement with the personnel we have. Cotton for instance seems, at least to me, to be getting beat regularly but I’m not an expert at grading line play like some of you may be. Is our problem technique or execution? Whatever it is we simply aren’t getting job done up front yet.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I don’t see a challenge to Bama in the west outside of Auburn. With you guys having them at home, if it comes down to that game, I think you will be fine. A$M played above their heads last night. MSU will win games, but they are 6-2 at best in the conference. Bama isn’t losing more than one SEC game, if any. Ole Miss can’t play D and Arky is no threat at all.

As for my Tigers, I’m worried about cashing in my over win total bet (7.5). We played fairly well against Miami. We were awful last night. Our O-line is terrible right now. And it’s not for lack of recruiting. We have the #1 juco OT and he is only playing because we are decimated at tackle. Our 5* OT recruit from last year is just Ok and he too was forced into action. We have a really good Soph LT who served a one game suspension last night. Our RT is out a month. Our best lineman, a guard, is suspended for apparently having relations with a minor, while he was in high school. Riddle me this, why did it take over a year for that to come to light? Anyway, Burrow is an improvement, but his line, receivers, and coaches aren’t doing him any favors. This week will tell a lot.

Book your Atlanta hotel. I say it’s OK. :)

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i've seen our oline struggle at the beginning of the season before..I think they will come around as the season goes. Blocking for 2 different QB's could also cause some issues. Im willing to bet once/if we go with a steady dose of Tua, the chemistry of the oline will get better and execution will as well.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
My take on the oline (and in general, in spite of what the coaches may say) is that they weren't too concerned with Arky State and didn't spend a lot of time game planning for them. Arky St caught us by "surprise" a couple of times on things because of this. I will reserve any judgement until next Saturday when we get into SEC play and it REALLY COUNTS.
Do we have things that need to be worked on? Yes we do. After every game. Without exception. We have the best coaching staff top to bottom and the best talent in the nation top to bottom. Things will get corrected as needed and we will keep rolling forward.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I have just watched the Ala vs Ark St game. O-line didn't look good at all. If they don't improve a lot there will be some major challenges down the road. Also our Defense is not playing on the same page. To many wide open receivers in the routes. But I just am not an expert to judge but that is my very amateur opinion of our team at this point. Roll Tide!!!!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My take on the oline (and in general, in spite of what the coaches may say) is that they weren't too concerned with Arky State and didn't spend a lot of time game planning for them. Arky St caught us by "surprise" a couple of times on things because of this. I will reserve any judgement until next Saturday when we get into SEC play and it REALLY COUNTS.
Do we have things that need to be worked on? Yes we do. After every game. Without exception. We have the best coaching staff top to bottom and the best talent in the nation top to bottom. Things will get corrected as needed and we will keep rolling forward.
I'm just now getting to watch the game. The stadium seemed dead even when we were on defense. Just didn't seem to be much juice and maybe the team played down to the mood.

I know we won going away, but that could explain some of the sloppiness and mental breakdowns.

I suspect OM and TAMU will get our full attention the next couple of games.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I'm just now getting to watch the game. The stadium seemed dead even when we were on defense. Just didn't seem to be much juice and maybe the team played down to the mood.

I know we won going away, but that could explain some of the sloppiness and mental breakdowns.

I suspect OM and TAMU will get our full attention the next couple of games.
I’m sure the weather plus the opponent had something with the crowd. It looked Africa hot Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.