JessN: Arkansas State Wrap-up: Bama Wins Big, But Questions Remain

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
The counterpoint to that is it was their backups, too. Backup QB, RB and WRs.

Also, that backup running back looked like my neighbor's 12-year-old running around out there. 5'5" and 150. I would hope that the talent difference at Alabama is enough that when you line up 1s and 1s, there's as much advantage for Alabama as there is when you line up 2s and 2s. If there's not, then your recruiting hasn't been as good as reported. The other issue is Bama can't bet on making it through another season up front or in the secondary unscathed like it did last year. Buggs has hurt an ankle now in two consecutive weeks, but he can't be rested for Ole Miss. If he gets hurt again, Ray is the starting end. The next guy up appears to be Mathis moving out from nosetackle. I haven't seen much to indicate he's quick enough for that end position yet. Honestly I think they're better moving Q.Williams out and letting Mathis play the middle. Musika played as good or better yesterday than Mathis but Mathis also limped a lot.

This is a one-platoon team in the front seven right now. I give them credit for holding ASU's 2s out of the end zone at the end but there aren't many places Alabama can absorb a loss. As somewhat surprised as I am to see Mack Wilson not take the next step forward, take him out of the middle right now and it borders on disaster. Benton made a lot of tackles yesterday but was slow to get to spots. McMillon knows where to go but lacks the speed of the others. The best thing about Bama's 1s at the moment is the pure speed, as it covers up a lot.

Heck, UA can't even get through warm-ups without significant injury. Jalyn Armour-Davis may have torn up a knee in pregame. It's been crazy the last 2-3 years.
I think that’s why we saw a turnover in staff, our recruiting needed a much needed boost.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My brother and I watched the kickers warm up before the game and #29 was a train wreck before the game ever started. I have no idea what is happening with him, but I was not surprised to see him missing PATs - he was that bad before the game. I am just glad that Saban made the move to #97 after the second miss, because the PAT that #29 made was only through by a whisker.

I thought that Waddle did great as a punt returner since their punter looked like Scott out there, but was disappointed in his effort as a receiver - he had a few really bad drops. FWIW, JJ also takes reps as a punt returner in warm-ups. We have to hope that he is not needed in a game because he is terrible at fielding punts.

O-line - I think that they will be focused and ready for ole miss. I believe that this will be the beginning of great things for that group. No reason for this belief other than the fact that they were forced to play almost the entire game. Saban knows that they need work, made them work continue to work in the game, and will continue to make them work in practice this week.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If Jalen has two more games on his Red Shirt... I wouldn't mind seeing him play some against Auburn. He owes them one.
I would like to see Mac get more time at QB. (Soon)
If we can get him settled in playing QB some, life will be much simpler at Alabama.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
I'd probably say "inconsistent" is a too generous for the OL's play. I'd also probably say we could probably have a good idea who to point to for the "why" on that.

And that's one reason why I really prefer to see Damien Harris carry the ball. He almost doesn't need a hole.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd probably say "inconsistent" is a too generous for the OL's play. I'd also probably say we could probably have a good idea who to point to for the "why" on that.

And that's one reason why I really prefer to see Damien Harris carry the ball. He almost doesn't need a hole.
Who?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Key. But hopefully I'm wrong and he can get it worked out, because he seems to be good for the program otherwise.
Last year, people said Key was the reason the OL was better than it was under Cristobal. After two games with a first time starter at C and two new starters on the right side, you want to say he's the cause of a perceived issue on the OL?

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Last year, people said Key was the reason the OL was better than it was under Cristobal. After two games with a first time starter at C and two new starters on the right side, you want to say he's the cause of a perceived issue on the OL?
I'd imagine the fans that were giving him praise for whatever he did last year probably aren't the ones that are doubting him now? I don't know, I'm not really familiar with the former group and certainly am not one of them. And, as to your question, no, but I think it's starting to look that way. Just so I know, though, just how many times do our runners need to get stonewalled at the LOS or our QBs have to face quick pressure to begin to make the assessment (or maybe that's a percentage thing? Haven't been filled in on the details of your evidentiary standards that are binding on my gut feelings)?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My take on the o-line after watching the Ark St game again - they started out slowly in the game (as they did against Louisville), but adjusted well to what the defense was doing as the game progressed. I know that I expected issues running the ball early in the season because of the new starters and players switching positions. I also expected issues in pass protection, but that really has not been a problem.

Saban kept the first team o-line in the game into the 4th quarter. He knows that they need more snaps together. They are getting the snaps. I expect them to be in contention for the Moore award by the end of the season, and I think that they will be a dominant force by the time you get to LSU. I think that your center could win the Rimington - he is that good. Your LT could win the Outland and will likely be a top 10 draft pick.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My take on the o-line after watching the Ark St game again - they started out slowly in the game (as they did against Louisville), but adjusted well to what the defense was doing as the game progressed. I know that I expected issues running the ball early in the season because of the new starters and players switching positions. I also expected issues in pass protection, but that really has not been a problem.

Saban kept the first team o-line in the game into the 4th quarter. He knows that they need more snaps together. They are getting the snaps. I expect them to be in contention for the Moore award by the end of the season, and I think that they will be a dominant force by the time you get to LSU. I think that your center could win the Rimington - he is that good. Your LT could win the Outland and will likely be a top 10 draft pick.
This. This. This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnockturnalTide

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 8, 2012
A, A
Do you think the injury issue BAMA has is bad luck, or something different with the strength and conditioning? I hope Saban has started to investigate. I know injuries are a part of sports, but it just seems Bama has had too many the past 2 years.
In one of the off-season features Cochran was asked about what he does in his 'down time'. He talked about going different places for speaking gigs, but also said something about how instead of doing what he normally does he had a focus on injury prevention. Something along those lines. Can't remember if it was Training Days, or the Origins podcast, but just remember him talking about it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.