First Shootout?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
We have given up 21 garbage points in 2 games and you use the term "carry"?...:conf2:
Correct. You'll note I said, " As we've speculated pre-season......". There have been those who expressed concern before the season that our losses on D might necessitate help from the O ( AKA " carry " ), especially early. I'm sure we're all happy that's not been the case so far. IMO, though, I don' t think that either of the O's we've played are as good as the one we'll see Saturday night.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Correct. You'll note I said, " As we've speculated pre-season......". There have been those who expressed concern before the season that our losses on D might necessitate help from the O ( AKA " carry " ), especially early. I'm sure we're all happy that's not been the case so far. IMO, though, I don' t think that either of the O's we've played are as good as the one we'll see Saturday night.
I'd say that's quite the understatement. Their national offensive ranking is, I think, #2...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted here. I posted on the score prediction thread last night. It is easy to see that Ta'amu has not faced any type of defense so far this season.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
I think we could beat Ole Miss several ways. Their offense is their strength and their defense is their weakness. Think we could methodically march down the field with the running game and short passes and control the clock keeping their strength off the field. Or we could turn Tua loose and let him amass a large number of points. Think either approach would get us what we want.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
My wife and I are going to the game. We expect fireworks. The Bama defense this year isn't anywhere near as good as the numbers indicate. I think we get a bit exposed on that end. On the other hand, I think the offense will set at least one record tomorrow. Tua may set a couple actually.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
My wife and I are going to the game. We expect fireworks. The Bama defense this year isn't anywhere near as good as the numbers indicate. I think we get a bit exposed on that end. On the other hand, I think the offense will set at least one record tomorrow. Tua may set a couple actually.
We all know that things can go wrong on the road especially if Ole Miss captures some momentum and gets the crowd into it. I expect CNS to come in with a great defensive plan to confuse Ta'amu and put pressure in his face. Ole Miss will move the ball and Ta'amu will hit a couple of throws in the end zone probably but could well end up with some long run backs off interceptions. He will not have time for long throws downfield that Ole Miss has featured in the first two games. On the other side of the ball Bama will have a balanced attack and put up some big yardage and points on the board.

The lack of depth on defense may tell on Bama later on down the road at Baton Rouge and against MSU but I don't see that happening on Saturday night.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
We all know that things can go wrong on the road especially if Ole Miss captures some momentum and gets the crowd into it. I expect CNS to come in with a great defensive plan to confuse Ta'amu and put pressure in his face. Ole Miss will move the ball and Ta'amu will hit a couple of throws in the end zone probably but could well end up with some long run backs off interceptions. He will not have time for long throws downfield that Ole Miss has featured in the first two games. On the other side of the ball Bama will have a balanced attack and put up some big yardage and points on the board.

The lack of depth on defense may tell on Bama later on down the road at Baton Rouge and against MSU but I don't see that happening on Saturday night.
Where's the pressure going to come from? Bama doesn't have a great edge rusher right now.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'd say that's quite the understatement. Their national offensive ranking is, I think, #2...
I`ve been known for that! I just hope it`s not overly prophetic! Again, even keeping their past competition in mind, they could quite possibly be one the more potent O`s we`ll see this year, certainly in the regular season.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Where's the pressure going to come from? Bama doesn't have a great edge rusher right now.
I see that and am not sure if Anoma is ready on third and long situations. If the DL can't force the pocket and he has time to throw then he can do some damage. At the same time there will be some schemes to bring a LB on big play downs. I don't believe he has been tested up to this point.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I`ve been known for that! I just hope it`s not overly prophetic! Again, even keeping their past competition in mind, they could quite possibly be one the more potent O`s we`ll see this year, certainly in the regular season.
I'm not sure we will face a more talented combination of QB and WRs this year.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
How do you define a shootout? I think that's the most pertinent point to be able to answer the OP's question.

We're going to be able to name our score in this one. Ols Siss will score some points but the outcome of the game isn't likely to be in doubt for very long. How many points will they score and will that be enough to make it a shootout? I'm not sure.

I can, however, tell you which specific factor in the game will most determine Bama's margin of victory: how much pressure we're able to put on the QB when bringing fewer than five guys. The greater this percentage, the larger the margin of victory.

And here's my bold prediction for this game: Bama only punts on drives killed by offensive penalties - if at all.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I see your point, but I'm sure we could both agree that we'd rather force the opposing offense to drive 80 yards instead of 55. It's games like these that it will matter the most.
No. Games like these are where field position matters the least. The games where field position matters most are the ones in which it is a battle to move the ball, where your opponent makes you earn every yard. This is not going to be that kind of game. When receivers are running loose behind the secondary with the ball, it doesn't matter at all whether the line of scrimmage was the 20 or the 45.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al
Yeah, Diggs to me looked good, the whole defense stepped up maybe everyone needs to tell our guys they are under rated so we can have a chip on our shoulder every week, they played fast and mean RTR!!!!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.