Seventeen years ago... "We’re going to do something"

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Tom Burnett's last act on earth was one of the most courageous things imaginable. And his last words to his wife, Deena, are among the most inspiring I've ever heard. Those exact words are at the top of this page, and the bottom. They were spoken seventeen years ago, under conditions I hope to never experience. I'll never forget Tom's last words. I hope you won't either. - Mike Rowe

Transcript of Tom's Last Calls to Deena

6:27 a.m.( pacific time) First cell phone call from Tom to Deena

Deena: Hello
Tom: Deena
Deena: Tom, are you O.K.?
Tom: No, I’m not. I’m on an airplane that has been hijacked.
Deena: Hijacked?
Tom: Yes, They just knifed a guy.
Deena: A passenger?
Tom: Yes.
Deena: Where are you? Are you in the air?
Tom: Yes, yes, just listen. Our airplane has been hijacked. It’s United Flight 93 from Newark to San Francisco. We are in the air. The hijackers have already knifed a guy, one of them has a gun, they are telling us there is a bomb on board, please call the authorities. He hung up.

6:31 Deena calls 911
6:34 The phone rang in on call waiting, Tom’s second cell phone call.

Deena: Hello
Tom: They’re in the cockpit. The guy they knifed is dead.
Deena: He’s dead?
Tom: Yes. I tried to help him, but I couldn’t get a pulse.
Deena: Tom, they are hijacking planes all up and down the east coast. They are taking them and hitting designated targets. They’ve already hit both towers of the World Trade Center.
Tom: They’re talking about crashing this plane. (a pause) Oh my God. It’s a suicide mission…(he then tells people sitting around him)
Deena: Who are you talking to?
Tom: My seatmate. Do you know which airline is involved?
Deena: No, they don’t know if they’re commercial airlines or not. The newsreporters are speculating cargo planes, private planes and commercial. No one knows.
Tom: How many planes are there?
Deena: They’re not sure, at least three. Maybe more.
Tom: O.K….O.K….Do you know who is involved?
Deena: No.
Tom: We’re turning back toward New York. We’re going back to the World Trade Center. No, wait, we’re turning back the other way. We’re going south.
Deena: What do you see?
Tom: Just a minute, I’m looking. I don’t see anything, we’re over a rural area. It’s just fields. I’ve gotta go.

6:45 a.m. Third cell phone call from Tom to Deena

Tom: Deena
Deena: Tom, you’re O.K. (I thought at this point he had just survived the Pentagon plane crash).
Tom: No, I’m not.
Deena: They just hit the Pentagon.
Tom: (tells people sitting around him “They just hit the Pentagon.”)
Tom: O.K….O.K. What else can you tell me?
Deena: They think five airplanes have been hijacked. One is still on the ground. They believe all of them are commercial planes. I haven’t heard them say which airline, but all of them have originated on the east coast.
Tom: Do you know who is involved?
Deena: No
Tom: What is the probability of their having a bomb on board? I don’t think they have one. I think they’re just telling us that for crowd control.
Deena: A plane can survive a bomb if it’s in the right place.
Tom: Did you call the authorities?
Deena: Yes, they didn’t know anything about your plane.
Tom: They’re talking about crashing this plane into the ground. We have to do something. I’m putting a plan together.
Deena: Who’s helping you?
Tom: Different people. Several people. There’s a group of us. Don’t worry. I’ll call you back.

6:54 a.m. Fourth cell phone call to Tom to Deena

Deena: Tom?
Tom: Hi. Anything new?
Deena: No
Tom: Where are the kids?
Deena: They’re fine. They’re sitting at the table having breakfast. They’re asking to talk to you.
Tom: Tell them I’ll talk to them later.
Deena: I called your parents. They know your plane has been hijacked.
Tom: Oh…you shouldn’t have worried them. How are they doing?
Deena: They’re O.K.. Mary and Martha are with them.
Tom: Good.

(a long quiet pause)

Tom: We’re waiting until we’re over a rural area. We’re going to take back the airplane.
Deena: No! Sit down, be still, be quiet, and don’t draw attention to yourself! (The exact words taught to me by Delta Airlines Flight Attendant Training).
Tom: Deena! If they’re going to crash this plane into the ground, we’re going to have do something!
Deena: What about the authorities?
Tom: We can’t wait for the authorities. I don’t know what they could do anyway.
It’s up to us. I think we can do it.
Deena: What do you want me to do?
Tom: Pray, Deena, just pray.

(after a long pause)

Deena: I love you.
Tom: Don’t worry, we’re going to do something...

Attachments

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: Seventeen years ago... "We’re going to do something"

Thanks for posting this, Brad. Such a tragic day for all Americans. None of us will ever forget the courage of all who perished that day. God bless America in our remembrance of these lost souls. May they all continue to rest in peace.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea

I am no conspiracy theorist, but I have to question how a cell phone call could be made from an airliner thousands of feet above the ground.

I have been one of those law-breakers who forgot to put their phones in airplane mode after take-off, and I have seen no bars on my phone.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I am no conspiracy theorist, but I have to question how a cell phone call could be made from an airliner thousands of feet above the ground.
Considering it takes about two seconds to find the answer via google search, you might wanna rethink the part in bold.

The answer - only two calls from Flight 93 were from cell phones (both were after the flight got down to around 5,000'), the rest were made from Air Phones.

Now let's drop the conspiracy stuff and just stick to remembering, please.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea

Considering it takes about two seconds to find the answer via google search, you might wanna rethink the part in bold.

The answer - only two calls from Flight 93 were from cell phones (both were after the flight got down to around 5,000'), the rest were made from Air Phones.

Now let's drop the conspiracy stuff and just stick to remembering, please.
Yes sir!! :p

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Sorry, Bodhi.....never forget, indeed. :(
Thank you, Bazza. Like for a lot of people, this anniversary of this day is still raw. I had graduated business school in the Spring and most of my classmates were only a few months into their new careers. I remember trying to call some of them that I new were working in the towers. Just horrible. I still can't get through the tribute videos. It's too much. :frown:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

I lost classmates on the planes and in the towers. Never forget. :frown:
Very sobering. I didn’t know anyone directly yet distinctly remember the chill and anger the moment I realized it was an attack. I can only imagine how horrible this was for people like you who lost friends and/or family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Seventeen years ago... "We’re going to do something"

Thank you for posting. I plan to sit down with my son and explain the significance of this day. We’re always one generation away from forgetting. I won’t let that happen in my family.

The first fatality in the war on terror following 9/11 was from my hometown (Michael Spann). His funeral was held @ my home congregation. CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc. all descended on this rural community. The whole conflict became even more real for us when that happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Thank you for posting. I plan to sit down with my son and explain the significance of this day. We’re always one generation away from forgetting. I won’t let that happen in my family.

The first fatality in the war on terror following 9/11 was from my hometown (Michael Spann). His funeral was held @ my home congregation. CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc. all descended on this rural community. The whole conflict became even more real for us when that happened.

my brother (from haleyville) was over there at the same time. his first of 6 deployments

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

As one of my friends posted earlier today:
It is amazing how our brains take an exact snapshot when tragic events occur. Our grandparents remembered every detail from the day that Pearl Harbor was attacked. Our parents know exactly where they were and what they were doing when JFK was assassinated. For us, the morning of the 9/11 attacks is burned into our memory. My hope and prayer is that our kids can grow up without their own life-changing tragedy to remember.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

My grandmother was a direct witness to Pearl Harbor, walking to Sunday School on 12/7/41 as the Japanese descended on Pearl Harbor. My parents astutely remember the JFK assassination, and getting out of school early that day. I was on my way to band practice at 6:30AM in the morning when I heard about it on the radio. School got delayed 45 minutes, and two of the three tests that were scheduled that day were postponed. I was in California at the time, and I remember the talk being if Los Angeles or San Francisco was next since NYC and DC had been hit, and several of the planes used for terrorism on 9/11 were bound for Los Angeles and San Francisco. But, I also remember life returning to a normal quicker than the east coast simply because it happened on the east coast, far away from us.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

My Nephew lived across the street from him, I'm from that small town also.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.