Seventeen years ago... "We’re going to do something"

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Re: Seventeen years ago... "We’re going to do something"

Thank you for posting. I plan to sit down with my son and explain the significance of this day. We’re always one generation away from forgetting. I won’t let that happen in my family.

The first fatality in the war on terror following 9/11 was from my hometown (Michael Spann). His funeral was held @ my home congregation. CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc. all descended on this rural community. The whole conflict became even more real for us when that happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have visited his grave in Arlington National Cemetery to pay my respects. God bless him and his family.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Knew a fellow whose long-time womanfriend was in the south tower that day for business meetings. She got out alive and uninjured. The stories she told when she got back to Atlanta were gut wrenching.

They decided soon after to seize their good fortune and get married. She was driving to North Carolina several months later on Thanksgiving eve to tell her parents . . . was hit and killed by a drunk driver going the wrong way.

He was torn up by it for years.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

I have never been as angry or as helpless as I was on THAT day. Needless violence by idiots and I hope they enjoy the eternal flame bath.

I can still see that video of the NYPD helicopter surveying NY after the buildings fell and watch with incredible sadness at the amount of people who died for no reason.

To Tom and his comrades for preventing another plane crash, I salute you as heroes.

To those who perish during that horrible attack, you may be gone but never forgotten.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio

I read this many years ago and again this morning. I have cold chills running down my body this very second. Thank you for posting this on here.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

From an article a few years back......

When the world saw the Twin Towers, the very symbol of Manhattan, fall on 11 September 2001, as always in times of tragedy, man’s best friend was trained and ready to give all their help and support on the front line.

Three hundred dogs, including Alsatians, Dobermans, Golden Retrievers, Labradors and mixed breeds worked ceaselessly to find the few survivors. Five hundred others played a fundamental role in comforting the relations of the victims waiting for news, unable to find peace on their own.
Most of these hero dogs are no longer with us, many of them fallen victim to lung disease and tumours caused by the gases they breathed in during those exhausting, stressful days.
Today we will remember Brutus, the Alsatian who burned his paws running over an incandescent beam to follow the tracks of a man; and a Doberman Pinscher named Sunny Boy, who found a survivor in a bubble of air. Then there’s Cowboy, a Border Collie who never stopped looking for survivors, despite going into sensory overload caused by the load noises of the heavy machinery and the smells of so many people.
We don’t want them to be forgotten, and so we are dedicating this post to them, the most generous living beings that exist.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.