Trendon Watford (Commits to LSU)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: Trendon Watford

WVUA (UA's TV station) reporting he's on the way to campus now. If CNO can get him to go public prior to waiting until 4/20 for the Jordan Brand Classic...
I would imagine Trendon was headed to campus to watch them workout to see the style of play up close and personal. I think his game fits Oats style and I think we get him. Would be a huge get and would get Oats Bama career off to an amazing start.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Hasn't been a week yet and Coach Nate is creating all kinds of noise in Bama Hoops. I'm not talking about lip service. Dude has delivered a genuine buzz in T-Town.
He's doing the right things. You can tell that not only is he dedicated to building a winning program, but establishing an all-around successful program and culture. Never thought that I would see this ... but he's showing a similar mindset and work ethic that's made the football program successful.

I would imagine Trendon was headed to campus to watch them workout to see the style of play up close and personal. I think his game fits Oats style and I think we get him. Would be a huge get and would get Oats Bama career off to an amazing start.
Says a lot that he's at least going to do the research for himself. However it goes, I'm already a fan of the young man of how he's been handling his recruitment. Just hoping he decides to ROLL with the TIDE :)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

He's doing the right things. You can tell that not only is he dedicated to building a winning program, but establishing an all-around successful program and culture. Never thought that I would see this ... but he's showing a similar mindset and work ethic that's made the football program successful.

Says a lot that he's at least going to do the research for himself. However it goes, I'm already a fan of the young man of how he's been handling his recruitment. Just hoping he decides to ROLL with the TIDE :)
It's only been a week but he's showing some of the same tenacity and grit as CNS. I told someone that we might have just found a "young CNS basketball coach."

He'll need time to grow into his own and rebuild our program, but he's pushing all the right buttons right now. I'm cautiously optimistic!!!

JeffwallaceUA

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 22, 2019

We pull Watford, keep Kira, and get Petty and Herb's fundamentals sound we may have the best team we've had in a long time. That's probably wishful thinking but I am beginning to believe in Oats. I was underwhelmed when they announced him but he is definitely winning me over. That new assistant he just got sounds legit too. This guy might just be the real deal.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I believe all that is going to happen.
If it does, we will not only be a talented team, we will be a deep team that will be able to go 10+ deep on our roster. That will be the part that helps build a successful and competitive program.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

If it does, we will not only be a talented team, we will be a deep team that will be able to go 10+ deep on our roster. That will be the part that helps build a successful and competitive program.
Funny, but what occurred to me, reading your post, was that CAJ played lineups as if we were deep, when we really weren't...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Funny, but what occurred to me, reading your post, was that CAJ played lineups as if we were deep, when we really weren't...
Drove me nuts. There would be times we'd have 5 guys on the floor and not 1 legitimate scoring threat on the floor!

Granted, we didn't have many in the first place, but no wonder we would sometimes go through long scoring droughts.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I see parallels between Oats and Saban, and think we have a fighting chance at Watford.

It’s possible that signing Watford could be to the basketball program what signing Julio Jones was for the football program....the recruit that establishes credibility in the minds of other / future recruits.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

I read a tweet somewhere that he did not visit Memphis campus yesterday and has no plans today headed back to Birmingham

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I think people are over reacting to him playing an AAU game in Memphis this week. I still like our chances to land Watford, at least 50/50.
Me too sir, actually I'm thinking we may be the school to beat honestly. I'm thinking that Watford will not only thrive under CNOs system, he will help develop him for the next level as well. And he will be able to do all of this at his dream school.

I will be pulling for the young man regardless of where he decides to go. I've been impressed with how he's been handling everything, all the more reasons I would love to see him succeed at the Capstone

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Look at the 2 schools other than Bama he was looking at, then think about it. Why would he want go to a school with a new AAU coach who has a bad year plus on top of that they have 2 commits that are bigs who he'll be competing against for playing time? It makes no sense to me. If he wants to be developed, he needs to come to Bama.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I heard someone (didn't catch the name but I believe he does the March to Madness basketball blog) on a local Huntsville sports radio station (97.7) yesterday and he said the reason LSU was in the mix was because they were very, very structured even down to minute details such as room temperature when the team is on the road and Watford and his parents are looking for that structure. I have to believe CNO is that detailed based on everything I've heard about him up to this point and I also believe that CAJ was not based on his NBA background. I have no idea what kind of coach Penny Hardaway is, he may be great but he may also be a great recruiter/average coach type that wins but never wins big. I know absolutely nothing about the Watford family other than what I've read and heard but my guess is they have done their research and will make the right decision and my gut feeling is that CNO will sign Watford. If that happens then I agree 100% with what someone else posted recently that it will be the basketball equivalent of Saban signing Julio Jones.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Look at the 2 schools other than Bama he was looking at, then think about it. Why would he want go to a school with a new AAU coach who has a bad year plus on top of that they have 2 commits that are bigs who he'll be competing against for playing time? It makes no sense to me. If he wants to be developed, he needs to come to Bama.
I think the main connect is because he used to play for his AAU team. I think CPH will have success, but not thinking he's going to have a successful program without the aid of 5 star level talent. CNO has already proven that he can build a successful program regardless of talent. So it honestly depends on what a player is looking for in a program

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.