Trendon Watford (Commits to LSU)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Trendon Watford

If the timeline from 247Sports is correct, BAMA was actually the first school to offer him ...

https://247sports.com/Player/Trendon-Watford-84000/TimelineEvents/?Page=3

We offered in 2015, Memphis and LSU didn't offer til 2017. CAJ and Pettway also visited him in 2015, which means we were the first coaches to do so.

If this is true, we are the college to have the longest relationship with him.
Want to say he was the first person Avery offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

Sounds like to me we have a longer relationship than other 2 college coach assistants that Bucky mentioned.

bob_saget14

Apr 17, 2019

Was Bucky saying those Memphis and LSwho guys actually coached Watford before? Whether in AAU or at a camp or whatever. Maybe that's the difference b/t us and them?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Was Bucky saying those Memphis and LSwho guys actually coached Watford before? Whether in AAU or at a camp or whatever. Maybe that's the difference b/t us and them?
He might have meant it that way. Miller has an AAU team in Memphis, which I believe Trendon was on. Bill Armstrong, OTOH, couldn't have worked with Trendon in a coaching capacity. From his LSU bio:

Bill Armstrong, who has been a part of SEC coaching staffs for over a decade, will enter his second year as a member of Will Wade’s coaching staff at LSU.

Prior to coming to LSU at the start of the 2017-18 season, Armstrong served six years as an assistant coach for Ole Miss after five seasons as the Rebels’ Coordinator of Basketball Operations.

Besides scouting and coaching duties, Armstrong has helped LSU come up with a No. 4 ranked national recruiting class for the 2018-19 season.
Granted, Armstrong did coach at Birmingham Southern for three years and graduated from UAB in 2001, but I'm still struggling to see how there's a working/coaching relationship with TW.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I have no inside info, but unless this is a smokescreen, it appears they are positioning for him to one of the two going out of state schools. Word was that if Coach Johnson wasn't here we might be his preferred destination. Now that that has happened, we hear that he values relationships with coaches who he has known for less time than Pettway. This whole recruitment just bothers me. The kid is a good player, but he is not a NBA all star at this point in his career either. Also, this Bucky McMillan thing is a wildcard. I am pretty sure Watford can't go to a school who hires him as a coach as the HS coach for player quid pro quo system I believe has been abolished by the NCAA. Regardless, there is more to this story than meets the eye.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I have no inside info, but unless this is a smokescreen, it appears they are positioning for him to one of the two going out of state schools. Word was that if Coach Johnson wasn't here we might be his preferred destination. Now that that has happened, we hear that he values relationships with coaches who he has known for less time than Pettway. This whole recruitment just bothers me. The kid is a good player, but he is not a NBA all star at this point in his career either.
I have my suspicions of what is happening, but I won't say them right now.

Also, this Bucky McMillan thing is a wildcard. I am pretty sure Watford can't go to a school who hires him as a coach as the HS coach for player quid pro quo system I believe has been abolished by the NCAA. Regardless, there is more to this story than meets the eye.
Not sure about the basketball rule, but the football rule change would require Bucky to be one of the coaching assistants and not a staffer of some sort.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I have no inside info, but unless this is a smokescreen, it appears they are positioning for him to one of the two going out of state schools. Word was that if Coach Johnson wasn't here we might be his preferred destination. Now that that has happened, we hear that he values relationships with coaches who he has known for less time than Pettway. This whole recruitment just bothers me. The kid is a good player, but he is not a NBA all star at this point in his career either. Also, this Bucky McMillan thing is a wildcard. I am pretty sure Watford can't go to a school who hires him as a coach as the HS coach for player quid pro quo system I believe has been abolished by the NCAA. Regardless, there is more to this story than meets the eye.
Agreed. That was my gut feeling previously but I changed my mind once CAJ was let go. However with the way this is dragging out I've gone back to feeling that Watford will not sign with Bama. I'm sure the coaches have a good feel for what is going on with him and his family so perhaps we are more in play for his signature than it seems to me but I almost wish we would sign Rojas and get it over with.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005

My thoughts also. Sign Rojas and move on. This deal with Watford is dragging on too long. We’ll be fine without him.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006

247 sports just had an update on a pod broadcast.. anyone know what they said? Can’t listen right now

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

247 sports just had an update on a pod broadcast.. anyone know what they said? Can’t listen right now
Nothing new really. Just went through the timeline of his favorites, and Jerry hinted at LSU being the place but TW wanting to wait to see what happens with Wade.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I have my suspicions of what is happening, but I won't say them right now.

Not sure about the basketball rule, but the football rule change would require Bucky to be one of the coaching assistants and not a staffer of some sort.
I feel sure you have more insight than I do when it comes to this deal. I beginning to think we need to withdraw the offer and move on as well with Rojas. I've said this before, but a kid playing out of state loses all the name cache that goes with playing for your home state school. Where is his brother now? Watford could potentially have a career in Alabama after he plays basketball. That won't happen in Tennessee or Louisiana. Look at Erwin Dudley. He hurt his knee in a pre-draft camp and never got another sniff from the NBA. Think of the reception he'll get in in Coleman if he shows up in a LSwho jersey. The guy above tweeting he is a one and done probably has connection to an agent.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.