Question: Your thoughts on solicitation of fundraisers in the workplace.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
One of my kids went on one of those church trips, worked his butt off, fell in love with the people, and is now studying to become missionary who can live there and work a trade to help the people. His long term investment in that country will far exceed what the $1,500 or so it cost to send him down there would have accomplished.

Sure, most may not result in helping those people, but those that do pay off greatly.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
My wife is planning to go with a medical group to the Philippines next Spring for a few weeks. The patients will mostly be from the nearby orphanage. If this occurs during Lily's Spring break, she and I will go for an abbreviated stay.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
One of my kids went on one of those church trips, worked his butt off, fell in love with the people, and is now studying to become missionary who can live there and work a trade to help the people. His long term investment in that country will far exceed what the $1,500 or so it cost to send him down there would have accomplished.

Sure, most may not result in helping those people, but those that do pay off greatly.
The productivity of the trip is really based on the people (adults) who put it together. Like your experience, our previous church did a lot of foreign missions work, specifically in central america. There would be carpenters, plumbers, and other skilled laborers along with medical people. These adults would go and the young people/youth would go with them. Over the years a lot of the youth who went on those trips ended up becoming active mission workers in that area once they became adults.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Unless my kid is playing, what concern is that of mine? Why on earth should I fund someone else's kid's hobby?

If you cannot afford to pay for your kid's hobby, not my problem. And yes, 'stadium upgrades' and the like are part of your kid's hobby.

Hard pass. Pay your own way.
Well then!! I won't be coming by your house selling magazines and coupon books. So there.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I will always buy from the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. My wife too. We know it's overpriced, and we almost always give away the cookies and popcorn. But, we both have a soft spot for the kids.
I'm selling popcorn for the Cub Scout right now. May I put you down for a tin or two? :biggrin2::biggrin: on TideFans.com

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Super glad to hear that, CA! Your son is an exemplar of what that sort of trip can do at it's very best.

It doesn't change my mind in the least about the overall issue, but I'm thrilled that, because you made that choice, he found a calling and the people he feels called to help will get his undivided attention and aid. That's truly spectacular!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

kid I grew up with did the same. Went over, fell in love with a girl married her and brought her home only to have the old Eddie Murphy "I want half Eddie!" routine play out for reels. Poor dude 4 kids with her, she took half his stuff and essentially vanished into the ether. Now he has half his stuff and 4 kids to raise on his own

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

Now, CA, I'm interested. So, I agree with you on the solicitations at work and so forth. Can just be obnoxious.

But, having seen what it meant for your son and how it shaped his view of the world, would you ever be willing to donate or partake in a fundraiser meant for someone else to go on a similar missions trip?

This isn't meant as a "Gotcha!" line of questioning, I'm genuinely asking. Obviously it's a bit different from a coach-pitch player trying to get more money for a new concession stand or updated lights.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
kid I grew up with did the same. Went over, fell in love with a girl married her and brought her home only to have the old Eddie Murphy "I want half Eddie!" routine play out for reels. Poor dude 4 kids with her, she took half his stuff and essentially vanished into the ether. Now he has half his stuff and 4 kids to raise on his own
Pft. Foreigners. Not only taking our jobs but taking our available men and then half their money.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Now, CA, I'm interested. So, I agree with you on the solicitations at work and so forth. Can just be obnoxious.

But, having seen what it meant for your son and how it shaped his view of the world, would you ever be willing to donate or partake in a fundraiser meant for someone else to go on a similar missions trip?

This isn't meant as a "Gotcha!" line of questioning, I'm genuinely asking. Obviously it's a bit different from a coach-pitch player trying to get more money for a new concession stand or updated lights.
Really depends on the kid and the trip. I'd have to know a lot more about it, but assuming everything lined up, I would consider it. Fundamentally, humanitarian aide-oriented trip funding is very different than helping someone's kid play baseball imo.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Really depends on the kid and the trip. I'd have to know a lot more about it, but assuming everything lined up, I would consider it. Fundamentally, humanitarian aide-oriented trip funding is very different than helping someone's kid play baseball imo.
Agreed. But I'd be much more inclined to take the money I'd spent on them and donate it. ; )

I've actually been burnt a few times with that. My wife gets mad at me because I go off like I did above and refuse to give to friends who fundraise to go on these missions trips. This one girl asked for money to go to northern Ireland for something. I, of course, said "Hell no." and listed the reasons above. My wife was having none of it. "It's not about whether you think it'll work or not, it's about supporting our friend and being behind her."

I didn't have the strength to argue.

A couple weeks in, her mom randomly needs to have back surgery and so she has to leave the program (kind of like a YWAM thing) early to come home - I'm not sure why she specifically needed to come home since her Dad and 2 sisters all lived at home but ok, go ahead and chuck the rest of the 6 month trip that you asked everybody to fund. To boot she told us that she ended up spending most of her time in local pubs. Essentially we ended up funding a 3 week pub crawl while she did some menial tasks for a ministry there. To top it off, she never finished the program or went back into ministry and she ended up getting knocked up by her boyfriend.

Waste of money and our "support" only seems to have gotten her as far as "single-mother."

Very frustrating.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
One thing our church has learned and greatly benefited from when it comes to fundraisers and that's if the people you're asking to participate feel like they're getting a good deal. Then they not only will participate, but will be repeat "customers". Our church has two BBQ fundraisers per year. We sell a BBQ plate that consist of a pulled pork sandwich (5 oz of meat), bbq beans, chips, a homemade dessert and a soft drink for $10. We normally profit (depending on meat prices when we do it) between $6.25-$7.25/plate sold.

We ensure the quality of the plates are as good or better than what they can get at the local chain bbq. It's gotten so popular in our community we have people calling the church asking when the next one's going to be. We have picked up three local businesses who have us call them when we have them and they buy lunch plates for their staff on that day. We step up the service by delivering it to the businesses. We average anywhere between $1,400-$1,500 net profit per fundraiser. If the weather's good and there aren't a lot of competing events happening that day. We have been known to make up to $2,500 net profit.

When people come up to buy a plate we go out of our way to explain what we're doing, why we're doing it and where the money is going. But it is not uncommon for people to stop us mid sentence and say "I don't care what you're using the money for. I can't go get this type BBQ plate at any restaurant around here for that price." Our belief is if you're asking people outside your church to participate you need to give them something in return they feel is worth their money.

Last edited:

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I made a deal with everyone at work a long time ago. My girls were at the prime age of what seemed like continuous fund raising at school. I told everyone at work that I would not ever bug them to buy anything from my kids, but in return, I would not buy anything that their kids were selling. They were all good with that, mainly because most of their kids were still very young and hadn’t got to that stage yet. That changed when their kids got to that point, but I still stood my ground. Several folks got mad, but I didn’t put them on the spot, and I wasn’t going to feel guilty when they tried to do that to me.

I usually just paid the money my kids were required to raise instead of pushing the items. We lived in a very rural area so they couldn’t necessarily go out door to door. They would hit up a few family members and I would cover the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.