Question: Your thoughts on solicitation of fundraisers in the workplace.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Before I get into my "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!" type rant. I want to disclose (though many of you already know) that I've got five kids and three participate in activities that have used fundraisers. I understand them, appreciate them and am not knocking fundraisers in general.

However, I'm not a fan of them being brought into or allowed in the workplace. I know there are some places of employment who do not allow them and actually have it in their company policy. Unfortunately my employer does not and it has gotten out of hand. Every time I turn around it seems there's someone strolling through our department (from another department or from within our department) soliciting you to help their (softball team, cheer leading team, baseball team, youth group, basketball team etc.) by buying this or that. If it were one every now and then it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I don't mind giving. But when it becomes a normal part of the work place it has gone too far. I don't like to be the scrooge because I've got kids and I know they're doing it for the kids.

One of my co-workers and I talked about it this morning. Just this morning we've had two people come through selling something for a fundraiser. He pops in my office after the second person came through and said "I think this has gotten out of hand, don't you?". I agreed and we're both highly considering meeting with our department head and saying something. Even though our department head has solicited for her child's fundraiser in the office as well.

Is this something anyone else has had to deal with in the workplace?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Of course it doesn't belong in the workplace. It's not my responsibility to fund someone else's kid's activities. If their kid wants to play sports, etc. they can pay for it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
personally, i am against all fundraisers for kid's activities. i am with ca on this. if you want your kid to participate, have them earn the money, or pay for it yourself.

the one's that really tick me off are for kids going on international "mission" trips.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
personally, i am against all fundraisers for kid's activities. i am with ca on this. if you want your kid to participate, have them earn the money, or pay for it yourself.

the one's that really tick me off are for kids going on international "mission" trips.

My son is starting to sell popcorn for the Cub Scouts. It is a rip off. I refuse to sell it.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
How about a bulletin board for solicitors to leave contact information? Make direct solicitation against company policy and inform everyone of the board's location so interested parties can post, or review the posts.

One of the perks of my job is that normal office situations are fairly unheard of for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Hey, if you want to put something on your desk and let those who want to buy overpriced candy or chocolate without any high pressured sales pitch, more power to you. As for the "guilt" trip or aggressive solicitations, nope. I practice what Nancy Reagan taught us "Just say 'No.'"

Funny, when I offer to let them cut my yard for $30, they seem to shrivel up their nose at me.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
My dear late Aunt Bobbie had her own policy on charities.

$5 donation.

No more...no less.

Didn't matter what it was.

In your situation - you could do the same - but make it whatever amount you want.

Two quarters per donation. Hey - at least you gave - and at least you're consistent.

Or make it one buck. Or two bucks. Or five bucks. Or whatever.....

Point is....set a fixed amount that is a happy medium for all.

:)

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Certain companies and sales staff make a lot of money supplying merchandise for these fundraisers. The items are then sold at above market prices using child labor (and parents). It is a bad racket. I'd prefer to donate directly and buy the same or better product at a local store for much less money (savings can go to the fundraising group).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Someone once tried to sell me an $11 candle for their kid’s trip. I asked how much they made off each sale. They said $5. So I gave them $5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'll buy from the kids themselves, not the parents. I feel that is a good lesson (course I work from home so workplace doesn't really come to play for me) . Kid comes to my door to sell and they are likely to get a sale (for non religious causes) parents come and ask I say no.

When I was a kid I went to a YMCA Camp and if you sold candy for the Y you got a discount. My brother and I "borrowed" a shopping cart from the local grocery store, filled it with candy and found a good spot on the local college campus and sold out our initial supply in the first day. Taught us great lessons, both of us are in sales today and both still crush it quarter after quarter.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'll buy from the kids themselves, not the parents. I feel that is a good lesson (course I work from home so workplace doesn't really come to play for me) . Kid comes to my door to sell and they are likely to get a sale (for non religious causes) parents come and ask I say no.

When I was a kid I went to a YMCA Camp and if you sold candy for the Y you got a discount. My brother and I "borrowed" a shopping cart from the local grocery store, filled it with candy and found a good spot on the local college campus and sold out our initial supply in the first day. Taught us great lessons, both of us are in sales today and both still crush it quarter after quarter.
Agreed, it's a good lesson for kids to get a taste of the real world.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

How to steal shopping carts?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.