Hurricane Florence's impact on college football: Second major game canceled

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Headed out of Charleston in a couple of hours...going south to Florida as it is safer than going north or west. Keep those folks in your prayers who do not have the resources to leave. This is not going to be pretty....

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I was in college at USC when Hugo hit. It was so fast-moving that it was still a hurricane when it grazed Columbia, so we had tons of down trees, blown off roofs, broken windows, etc.. I did one of the dumber things in my young life and drove home from campus to my apartment around 3:00am during heart of storm, I was barely able to keep the car on the road due to wind. My brother yelled stop as I was pulling into our apartment driveway and I slammed on brakes just in time to watch a giant pine tree crash about 10' in front of us. a few seconds later a second pine tree crashed about 10' behind us, blocking us in the driveway. I took my 68 mustang 4-wheeling thru mud and pine straw and somehow made it to the parking lot. When we got to apartment our roommate was sitting on porch in the dark with a case of beer drinking away, said there was no use letting it get warm since power was out. We of course joined him.

Needless to say I've taken these storms more serious since then.

The models for Florence are all over the place - with some calling for a stall off NC and slow drift south down SC coast. This thing could impact a lot of area before it's done.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
One of the major concerns with the storm will be the stalling effect. It may sit for 3-4 days dropping massive amounts of rain leading to flooding. I agree, no game is worth the safety risk.
They've had record rain in that part of the country this year so one of the concerns is that the ground is already saturated. A stall would be catastrophic.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They are saying this will be the worst hurricane to hit the east coast since ‘92 (Andrew) and the worst to hit the Carolinas since Hugo. Those of us that are old enough to remember both of those know that can be pretty disastrous.
Yah, Andrew was unbelievable. I didn't get down to Homestead but my Dad went down there to deliver water - some of the pictures he took reminded me of Hiroshima - everything leveled as far as you could see.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Yah, Andrew was unbelievable. I didn't get done to Homestead but my Dad went down there to deliver water - some of the pictures he took reminded me of Hiroshima - everything leveled as far as you could see.
I was in college studying structural engineering when Andrew hit. By my senior year, lots of Andrew photos showed up in design classes. Lots of the building code was re-written due to that hurricane.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We have friends in Topsail, NC. With the projected dip to the south, they might get devastated.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
We have friends in Topsail, NC. With the projected dip to the south, they might get devastated.
Accuweather projected path now showing it stalling off NC coast, then slowly coming ashore around state line, heading straight to Columbia and up into mountains. The NC/SC mountains have been drenched so far this year, so if it dumps a ton of rain there it could be catastrophic.

We live on Lake Murray and fortunately they were already drawing the lake down to combat weeds. It appears they've accelerated the draw down this week, presumably in anticipation of massive rains. A few years ago they had to open gates wide to release pressure on the dam and that lead to some of the flooding seen on TV.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They need to be ready to get out...
They are leaving this morning. They were going to head south, but now they are going north to stay with family in New Jersey. They hope to still have a home after this storm.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
It was thirty years ago this week that Alabama missed playing Texas A/M because of Hurricane Gilbert.....and hurricane expert Jackie Sherrill had quite a bit to say about it in verbal jousting with Travel Agent Expert Bill Curry. What neither was, of course, was a football expert.
We lived in San Antonio then. Gilbert didn't swerve north as expected and got us with tornadoes. Did a good bit of damage at Kelly AFB where I worked.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The most destructive aspect of these storms tends to be storm surge and tornados that it spawns. That's why for some storms you can see one place with no damage, and then go a block over and see something that got wrecked. The hurricane winds themselves are usually not the most destructive part of it. I mean my grandmom didn't evacuate for Andrew and she was in Miami. Then of course there is the flooding... Mainly though the infrastructure usually isn't set up to handle the wind and water,

I've sat through cat 2 winds a few times, don't think I've ever actually been through cat 3 sustained winds or higher (but I've seen the aftermath), but the key here is be wary of trees, tornados, and water. There's no way some football games will happen though...

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Go to Twitter.com and look at the photos of the storm from NASA...this is an incredibly massive and powerful storm that could devastate the Carolinas & parts of Ga. from one end to the other.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
One of the major concerns with the storm will be the stalling effect. It may sit for 3-4 days dropping massive amounts of rain leading to flooding. I agree, no game is worth the safety risk.
Yep. This is the problem with Florence. Also, if it hits during high tide, the surge could go inland for miles--according to the report I saw today. There was also an 80+ foot wave in it today. This is a scary storm. Prayers for all of those in her path.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Gamecocks have canceled. Slow pace of storm means Columbia won't get hit until Saturday during game time. It's sunny and nice here now, wish they could've moved it to a Thursday night.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.