Link: The Aggies of College Station, TX are now the most valuable football program

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I think TA&M is positioned along with UGA to be the dynastic type teams after CNS retires. I'm not saying I want that...but that I think this will take place. They have too many advantages of money, fans, player pool, money, money and more money.
Things can always change but these programs have always had the advantages they now have. And the discrepancy in money has been greatly diminished by the TV contracts that have brought many more programs into the game. UGA's admin appears to have bought in so they are more likely to have more success. They look legitimate but have not even reached the top yet much less had to deal with maintaining a top program. The latter is something that cannot be addressed with money or fans. Players help a lot but are not enough. IMO, A&M is not worth mentioning yet - one close loss vs an overrated Clemson is not nearly enough to say anything. Tom Herman....

If Alabama can make a good hire - it doesn't have to be transcendent - while they won't quite be the same, they will not go anywhere. They should have learned from the Coach Bryant aftermath. It mostly depends on the HC - Bama should have everything else at that time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I understand placing a value on professional sports franchises. They are bought and sold. But any value placed on a college sports program is purely hypothetical as it can be neither bought nor sold, and a thing's value is tied to a single thing - what someone would pay for said item. This places the real value at either zero or infinity depending on your point of view. For Alabama and Ohio State - infinity. For all other schools - zero. :biggrin2:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I understand placing a value on professional sports franchises. They are bought and sold. But any value placed on a college sports program is purely hypothetical as it can be neither bought nor sold, and a thing's value is tied to a single thing - what someone would pay for said item. This places the real value at either zero or infinity depending on your point of view. For Alabama and Ohio State - infinity. For all other schools - zero. :biggrin2:
Totally agree. The term “most valuable” is misleading and actually not even accurate based on what is being measured. What they should have said is “highest earning” or school with the largest revenue in its athletic department. I can earn more money than anyone but won’t be the richest man in the world if I blow all my earnings on items with no value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It remains to be seen about Herman....most thought he was a great hire.

But, dismissing Texas is like dismissing Alabama during the "Mike years." They are just one coaching hire away from being relevant again...in a big-time way. There are only a few programs this is true of...we are one obviously and a few others, but so is Texas. Right now A&M is like a hot corny dog at the Texas State Fair and everybody is buying one, but that would change in a heart beat if Texas suddenly became relevant again.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I just hope Texas is at least a good team by the time we have our home and home in 2022/23. It would be really annoying to still be competing for titles and have people try to claim we have only cupcakes on our schedule when one of those teams is Texas.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

But, dismissing Texas is like dismissing Alabama during the "Mike years." They are just one coaching hire away from being relevant again...in a big-time way. There are only a few programs this is true of...we are one obviously and a few others, but so is Texas. Right now A&M is like a hot corny dog at the Texas State Fair and everybody is buying one, but that would change in a heart beat if Texas suddenly became relevant again.
I think it is a myth that Texas would be back under one great hire. I think it would take a massive change in the culture to pull it off. In 2009 they seriously had the Big 12 gifted to them with a Bradford injury and a second remaining on the clock. They are the biggest underachievers in football and it’s because they have a dinosaur DKR system at the top.

I think aTm is a lot more grounded because they understand the old way is not a good way.

Texas dreams about beating Oklahoma and making aTm look bad. aTm dreams about winning the SEC and maybe more. One is a short term dream that comes around once a year and the other is a process geared to a bright future.

As far as Alabama vs Texas. Probation played a huge part in Alabama’s situation. Alabama had leadership that was willing to change, but Texas has never had it.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think it is a myth that Texas would be back under one great hire. I think it would take a massive change in the culture to pull it off. In 2009 they seriously had the Big 12 gifted to them with a Bradford injury and a second remaining on the clock. They are the biggest underachievers in football and it’s because they have a dinosaur DKR system at the top.

I think aTm is a lot more grounded because they understand the old way is not a good way.

Texas dreams about beating Oklahoma and making aTm look bad. aTm dreams about winning the SEC and maybe more. One is a short term dream that comes around once a year and the other is a process geared to a bright future.
That's precisely what I meant. Nobody knew how much CNS would "revive" Bama. He only had one NC. What if Texas hired the next Nick Saban, Pete Carrol or Urban Myer type? That's my point. They could be great again in a relatively short time.

I find that alot of people (not picking on you specifically) have a view of Texas (in general) that is formed from myth not reality.

Remember, they were saying the same thing about us around the turn of the century.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That's precisely what I meant. Nobody knew how much CNS would "revive" Bama. He only had one NC. What if Texas hired the next Nick Saban, Pete Carrol or Urban Myer type? That's my point. They could be great again in a relatively short time.

I find that alot of people (not picking on you specifically) have a view of Texas (in general) that is formed from myth not reality.

Remember, they were saying the same thing about us around the turn of the century.
Alabama decided to change its BOT power. CNS probably was 4 years and gone had it continued the way it did previously. Granted that included 1 NC. If Texas decided to do the same thing then I think they would be a power to be reckoned with, but they haven’t showed any willingness to do so. So any coach that goes in there is faced with a huge obstacle from the start.

Point is there are more Buck Stricklands and not enough Hank Hills running things.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Alabama decided to change its BOT power. CNS probably was 4 years and gone had it continued the way it did previously. Granted that included 1 NC. If Texas decided to do the same thing then I think they would be a power to be reckoned with, but they haven’t showed any willingness to do so. So any coach that goes in there is faced with a huge obstacle from the start.

Point is there are more Buck Stricklands and not enough Hank Hills running things.
What specifically did we change?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I just hope Texas is at least a good team by the time we have our home and home in 2022/23. It would be really annoying to still be competing for titles and have people try to claim we have only cupcakes on our schedule when one of those teams is Texas.
I don't care how bad Texas is, I just want to even up the historical W-L

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Again, that's part of hiring the right coach...like what CNS did at Bama

What specifically did we change?
CNS said nobody is telling me what to do...not even PBJr. and the PTB got out of the way.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Why has Texas underachieved so much throughout the decades?? Arky and A&M had good years every now and then I know but UT dominated the Southwestern conference like OU & NU did the Big-8 for decades. They are the state university and the amount of HS football talent the state has is legion. They should have more than just 1963, 1969, 1970, and 2005.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

True DAT!!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Things can always change but these programs have always had the advantages they now have. And the discrepancy in money has been greatly diminished by the TV contracts that have brought many more programs into the game. UGA's admin appears to have bought in so they are more likely to have more success. They look legitimate but have not even reached the top yet much less had to deal with maintaining a top program. The latter is something that cannot be addressed with money or fans. Players help a lot but are not enough. IMO, A&M is not worth mentioning yet - one close loss vs an overrated Clemson is not nearly enough to say anything. Tom Herman....

If Alabama can make a good hire - it doesn't have to be transcendent - while they won't quite be the same, they will not go anywhere. They should have learned from the Coach Bryant aftermath. It mostly depends on the HC - Bama should have everything else at that time.
A&M was always 2nd fiddle to UT -- at least in the minds of recruits. That is no longer true. The problem for UT is their "our stuff doesn't stink" mentality...in that way they remind me of UNC basketball, but not nearly as successful.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.