What Schools Are One Coaching Hire Away from Greatness?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Ohio State is on their schedule every year so there is an automatic loss right there.
I didn't say that the best way. I meant as far as playing all four teams every year and competing for the division.

This year, they do have Michigan and Ohio State on the schedule, so that will be difficult in Frost's first year.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
A discussion in another thread made me think of this. It's been discussed before, but I don't remember a recent one.

I think there are just a handful of schools that are always positioned to be "great" with the right coach. CNS proved that Bama is one of them, but who are the others?

Here's my list divided into two headings in no particular order:

A SURE BET:
1. Tennessee
2. Michigan
3. Florida
4. Texas
5. USC
6. Oklahoma
7. Ohio State

POSSIBILITIES:
1. Georgia
2. Penn State
3. TAMU
4. LSU
5. FL. State
6. Miami

What you got? Feel free to alter the approach.
OU is capable under Lincoln Riley.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
No inside knowledge on my part, but I would have bet that given the level of fan support at Nebraska the right coach / recruiting team could turn them into a powerhouse again. Heavy emphasis on effectiveness of the recruiting effort.
The biggest 2 things every tries to throw out about why Nebraska will be back is their fans and their divisions. But what they don’t know is that their fans are a big reason that they are in the position they are in. Their fans have the same expectations as Bama without the recruits but more access to the program. Teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa will continue to laugh and beat them as long as they keep on with these crazy expectations.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
1) Teams that are really, really, really good, but aren't "great" due to Alabama - Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma
2) Teams that are one coach away - USC, LSU, Michigan, Washington, Georgia (Smart may be that coach, but I need to see how he develops his players), Notre Dame, Penn State
3) Teams that need a culture change - Texas, Florida, Florida State
4) Teams that are either just decent to good but have pretty hard limitations (geography, in-state recruiting, culture) that requires a CNS-type to have a shot - Oregon, TCU, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Utah, Stanford

I'm not sure where to place Auburn, and it has nothing to do with not liking them. It has everything to do with the hypothetical that if Alabama did not have CNS at all, how would that impact Auburn? Do some of those recruits that went to Alabama then simply go to Auburn? Or Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Clemson, etc.? My point is, I think some of the teams' reputations would soar if Alabama never hired CNS due to the recruits. It would've been an interesting QB battle had Tua gone to USC and have to displace Sam Darnold. What if Reuben Foster and Rashaan Evans had played defense at Auburn? I'm also not sure that if Alabama didn't have CNS, Ohio State would be running roughshod with Urban.

Last edited:

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
No inside knowledge on my part, but I would have bet that given the level of fan support at Nebraska the right coach / recruiting team could turn them into a powerhouse again. Heavy emphasis on effectiveness of the recruiting effort.
The biggest 2 things every tries to throw out about why Nebraska will be back is their fans and their divisions. But what they don’t know is that their fans are a big reason that they are in the position they are in. Their fans have the same expectations as Bama without the recruits but more access to the program. Teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa will continue to laugh and beat them as long as they keep on with these crazy expectations.
Well, that wouldn't be the first bet I ever lost!:cool2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
1) Teams that are really, really, really good, but aren't "great" due to Alabama - Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma
2) Teams that are one coach away - USC, LSU, Michigan, Washington, Georgia (Smart may be that coach, but I need to see how he develops his players), Notre Dame, Penn State
3) Teams that need a culture change - Texas, Florida, Florida State
4) Teams that are either just decent to good but have pretty hard limitations (geography, in-state recruiting, culture) that requires a CNS-type to have a shot - Oregon, TCU, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Utah, Stanford

I'm not sure where to place Auburn, and it has nothing to do with not liking them. It has everything to do with the hypothetical that if Alabama did not have CNS at all, how would that impact Auburn? Do some of those recruits that went to Alabama then simply go to Auburn? Or Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Clemson, etc.? My point is, I think some of the teams' reputations would soar if Alabama never hired CNS due to the recruits. It would've been an interesting QB battle had Tua gone to USC and have to displace Sam Darnold. What if Reuben Foster and Rashaan Evans had played defense at Auburn? I'm also not sure that if Alabama didn't have CNS, Ohio State would be running roughshod with Urban.
Excellent thoughts.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The right coach at a Notre Dame.
My understanding is their own academic qualifications limit them from signing some of the better recruits. That's why I didn't list them. Outside of that, they have all the other qualifications to be a "great" as anybody...probably second to none.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Nebraska isn’t getting players out of Florida, Texas, and California like the use to. 20-30 ago, Carson Wentz would’ve been plucked out of North Dakota, If Adrian Peterson had been in high school 10 years earlier, Nebraska would have got him. Would Christian or Jason Peter leave New Jersey to go to Nebraska today??? Probably not.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Depends on what you call greatness. A great coach at the right fit helps a school to be real good consistently.
Some examples:

Stoops was a really good coach and a really good fit at Oklahoma. I worked out great for them.

Dabo is a really good coach and a really good fit at Clemson. It is working out great for them. I doubt Clemson would have been on either of your lists before Dabo.

Of course Myer is a great coach and fit at Ohio State.

I believe all the schools on your lists could do very well with the right coach. BUT.... how do you find the RIGHT coach? That is the million dollar question.
I understand that "greatness" is vague...obviously I'm not referring to us being the "measuring stick" because nobody measures close to us now if we are using the ultimate guage of NCs.

I guess I'm thinking along the lines of winning a NC every few years and being in the hunt most years. Only ones who are consistently doing that right now are Bama, Ohio State and Clemson.

Oklahoma and Georgia are in the discussion and time will tell.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I realized I left off Clemson from my original list. I think what Dabo is doing is pretty remarkable for a school like Clemson who has only had limited success, historically.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I realized I left off Clemson from my original list. I think what Dabo is doing is pretty remarkable for a school like Clemson who has only had limited success, historically.
Interesting discussion. I think any of the blue bloods fit the criteria. But, what about the programs like Clemson. As you mentioned, they’ve had limited success historically. I mean we had the term “Clemsoning” for a reason.

Based on the Forbes article about program revenue I would add a few. They have the resources to be great even though they may not be right now-
1) South Carolina- I was really surprised they were even in the top 15 in revenue. Spurrier went 33-6 over three years in the twilight of his career. I wonder what a dynamic coach in his prime could do there?
2) LSU- we’ve seen what they can be but can they sustain it? They have the money and the recruits. Coach Oeaux is obviously not the answer.
3) Wisconsin- they’ve had some some success but can they take it to the next level? I would consider them at a Clemson type level before Dabo. Although they have won the B1G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I will try to make this easier to understand, from my point of view by saying teams hiring the right coach who could be great. By great I mean over a continued period of time not a one and then fall back done. This does not currently include Alabama, tOSU, Clemson or Oklahoma or Georgia.

Southern Cal
UCLA
Texas
Michigan
Penn State
Florida
Texas A&M
Notre Dame

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think Texas and Texas A&M are both "sleeping giants." We'll see what Jimbo and Herman are able to accomplish, verdict is obviously still out on both of them.

I'd put LSU in that category. A great coach could easily make them a juggernaut. If Clemson can become a juggernaut I think South Carolina might have an outside chance with the right coach. Florida obviously can be with teh right coach.

USC too. They haven't gotten a coaching hire right since Carroll left.

Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma, Clemson and Penn State feel like they're already great/close to greatness.

Michigan is missing something but I think Harbaugh is the right guy. He just needs the right QB.

Professor

Scout Team
Sep 3, 2017
I would like to nominate the University of North Carolina as the biggest underachiever in college football. But it would take more than a coaching hire alone to turn it around. You folks not living here probably have no idea of the amount of support our state puts into that campus. And somehow they do very well in that sissy sport that exists only for providing sports fans something to do between football seasons, but they could also do very well in football if they had the will to do so.
It would take a culture change from the fan base all the way up to president.
Since I am a Wake (BS & MS) and UVa (Ph.D.) grad I really don't care, but I know enough about the institution to believe that the culture change could produce winning football. A state with 10,000,000 people produces a lot of great players, and Carolina could have its pick. IF it had the will to go after them.

Last edited:

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Tennesse has several things that Nebraska doesn't, buy it comes down to SEC location, history, recruiting ability.

Nebraska is the middle of nowhere!
I'm not arguing here about Nebraska coming on strong, but I am making the statement that Tennessee is not a sustainable successful program. Two things are easy point outs...1) in-state high school talent is just not there. TN has only been successful when they are successful in bring in large numbers of top tier out of state talent....this leads into my second point. 2) In modern football history, TN is only been highly successful when other major programs in the southeast are down. Other major southeast programs being down allowed TN to successfully recruit top tier talent from those states (GA, AL, SC, LA, & etc..). Think of the star players that TN had during their modern age glory years.....then think how many of them were from the state of TN?? Tennessee can get by at 8-4 or 9-3 with other programs being successful, but they need everyone else to be significantly down in order to move into the elite status.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I would like to nominate the University of North Carolina as the biggest underachiever in college football. But it would take more than a coaching hire alone to turn it around. You folks not living here probably have no idea of the amount of support our state puts into that campus. And somehow they do very well in that sissy sport that exists only for providing sports fans something to do between football seasons, but they could also do very well in football if they had the will to do so.
It would take a culture change from the fan base all the way up to president.
Since I am a Wake (BS & MS) and UVa (Ph.D.) grad I really don't care, but I know enough about the institution to believe that the culture change could produce winning football. A state with 10,000,000 people produces a lot of great players, and Carolina could have its pick. IF it had the will to go after them.
Somewhat agree here. UNC should always be 8-4 or 9-3 annually. Perhaps a 10-2 or 7-5 season scattered in from time to time.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not arguing here about Nebraska coming on strong, but I am making the statement that Tennessee is not a sustainable successful program. Two things are easy point outs...1) in-state high school talent is just not there. TN has only been successful when they are successful in bring in large numbers of top tier out of state talent....this leads into my second point. 2) In modern football history, TN is only been highly successful when other major programs in the southeast are down. Other major southeast programs being down allowed TN to successfully recruit top tier talent from those states (GA, AL, SC, LA, & etc..). Think of the star players that TN had during their modern age glory years.....then think how many of them were from the state of TN?? Tennessee can get by at 8-4 or 9-3 with other programs being successful, but they need everyone else to be significantly down in order to move into the elite status.
I agree 100%. Tennessee's run should've ended in 2001, but Bama on probation and UGA and UF playing the change my coach game made them linger on. Tennessee's run in the 90's was due to Bama and UGA being down more than anything.

I think 8-9 wins a year is a great year for the Vols going forward. Anything beyond that is a Disney underdog story.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.