What Schools Are One Coaching Hire Away from Greatness?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not sure I would put Tennessee in the lost cause column yet, but it could be close. The Vols have been in this place before and climbed their way out.

Nebraska, on the other hand, may be the reflection of Minnesota of the 40's. The Gophers were a national power 50 years before the Cornhuskers, and then fell off the map for decades. Nebraska's fate may be the same. A bowl game and a winning record may be the sign of a great year for Nebraska going forward.
Ill grant the Vols this over Nebraska.... They are in a better situation due to the conference and surrounding states, but their overall fate hinges on 2/3 of their hated rivals (UA, UGA, and UF) being in dark periods at the same time.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Nobody to recruit anymore. Used to be a national name. Now, who'd really want to go to Nebraska?
One school that really pops out to me is Nebraska... They haven't been relevant since the 1990's and the jury is still out on whether Frost can bring them back.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
1) Teams that are really, really, really good, but aren't "great" due to Alabama - Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma
2) Teams that are one coach away - USC, LSU, Michigan, Washington, Georgia (Smart may be that coach, but I need to see how he develops his players), Notre Dame, Penn State
3) Teams that need a culture change - Texas, Florida, Florida State
4) Teams that are either just decent to good but have pretty hard limitations (geography, in-state recruiting, culture) that requires a CNS-type to have a shot - Oregon, TCU, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Utah, Stanford

I'm not sure where to place Auburn, and it has nothing to do with not liking them. It has everything to do with the hypothetical that if Alabama did not have CNS at all, how would that impact Auburn? Do some of those recruits that went to Alabama then simply go to Auburn? Or Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Clemson, etc.? My point is, I think some of the teams' reputations would soar if Alabama never hired CNS due to the recruits. It would've been an interesting QB battle had Tua gone to USC and have to displace Sam Darnold. What if Reuben Foster and Rashaan Evans had played defense at Auburn? I'm also not sure that if Alabama didn't have CNS, Ohio State would be running roughshod with Urban.
Urban would be running a well-established dynasty at Florida without CNS to MHAQ.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.