In Brasil: Sterilization is the best pill

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Servico Brasileiro de Justica e Paz (17 November 1994)

The index of mass sterilization of women in Brazil is grave. Calculations of the Health Ministry estimate that 25 million Brazilian women have been sterilized. The index of sterilized women is greater in the poorest areas of the country (the northeast and central-west). 75.9 percent of the women in the state of Maranhao are sterilized. 71.9 percent in Goias and 63.3 percent in Mato Grosso. The incidence of sterilization is higher in Afro-Brazilian women revealing a racist component to this procedure. The majority of the sterilizations are done immediately after a woman gives birth to a child. In a country where birth control methods are almost the most expensive in the world, sterilization has become the most common form of birth control in Brazil. Denouncements continue to be made that many firms demand a pregnancy test at the time of a job interview and even subsidize sterilization surgeries. Sterilization is prohibited by law and by the medical ethical code. We are not talking about sterilization curative or therapeutic that occurs in cases such as removal of a tumor but are speaking of sterilization as a contraceptive method, voluntary, coerced or induced.
This a fairly good summary of the CPI (No 2, 1993) published by the Brasilian government.

One chart from page 70 of the document about the sterilized women:
72% satisfied
13% satisfied with problems
1.7% unsatisfied
11.7% regret *

I was hoping to get your thoughts on these stats National Titles 17.

* the word used is arrependidas which for me has a stronger connotation than regret, but I can't think of another translation at the moment.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Wow.

I know virtually nothing about this, save what you just posted. If true, though, it does potentially paint in a different light the rumors of attempts by American organizations to provide free or low-cost birth control to Brazilian women.

I'm curious as to your perspective on those rumors, as well, since you have a much closer tie to the country.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
What stands out to me is the total percentage of women who have been sterilized. Of course, that doesn't tell us ages (on a quick glance at your post). It's also not surprising that a number of those "regret" the "decision" as this is common even when chosen completely voluntarily.

The issue that occurred here - more so in the '90's - and that seems to be happening there is deceitful coercion to get women to "opt" for sterilization. Women were/are told lies to induce them into it. They are told if they change their minds it is easily reversible. Especially for poor women this is completely untrue because they can't afford reversal, reversal in any case is not always successful, and the procedure is generally considered irreversible because it is technically difficult and very often not successful so calling it reversible is essentially a lie.

It does bother me that my tax dollars are going to such deceptive programs that are harmful to women.

If a woman chooses this based on truthful information I have no problem with it. I even have a problem with the government down there saying they aren't capable of making their own voluntary decision, especially since the government allows discrimination against women in employment based on the information you provided.

Some people love being the white savior to poor black women, especially if it means reducing their numbers. Nothing new about it but it's a disgrace to those involved.

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
It does bother me that my tax dollars are going to such deceptive programs that are harmful to women.
Some people love being the white savior to poor black women, especially if it means reducing their numbers. Nothing new about it but it's a disgrace to those involved.
Agreed, let's defund planned parenthood. It was started by a white eugenicist.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Agreed, let's defund planned parenthood. It was started by a white eugenicist.
I have no problem with the fact the government is barred from funding abortions through Planned Parenthood. Sanger's views and motivations are well documented, but are not relevant. But perhaps you need to post your own abortion thread because we haven't had enough of those. I prefer to stay on topic rather than have yet another thread hijacked.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
You're welcome. I didn't see a link posted and the dates are from the 90s. I nor anyone I know supports forced or coerced sterilization. I don't think we should be funding it if we are.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Why are their birth control methods one if the highest in the world? Seems like lowering those costs would be one way to address this issue. That and preventing employers from asking potential female employees about their reproductive health.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Wow.
I know virtually nothing about this, save what you just posted. If true, though, it does potentially paint in a different light the rumors of attempts by American organizations to provide free or low-cost birth control to Brazilian women.
I'm curious as to your perspective on those rumors, as well, since you have a much closer tie to the country.
My analogy is to that of home or auto loans from your bank versus a pay day loan with a 48% interest rate to pay the rent...For woman a 30 your old woman with three kids, it is a good thing. However, when you are talking about a 15 year old who is led to believe that the procedure is easily reversible, then this is a hate crime.

Indian Sterilization Campaign Provokes Charges of Genocide in Brazil, LA Times, May 30 1999

ITAJU DA COLONIA, Brazil — It took only a little cajoling from the campaign workers to persuade Sonia Muniz to get sterilized. She was poor, they told her, and the congressman was doing her a favor by helping her limit her family size."I didn't want to do it," Muniz mutters, barely louder than the wind whipping by the deserted Indian Protection Service post in this northeastern village.But she went anyway."They made me. They had my name on a list," says Muniz, a woman who never went to school and didn't know her age without consulting her identity card.So Muniz, a Pataxo Ha-Ha-Hae Indian and mother of four, had her Fallopian tubes tied at a hospital owned by Roland Lavigne, a doctor and congressman famous around here for providing free women's health care in exchange for votes.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
The New Republic

Forced sterilization in Peru

Fujimori gained international support and USAID funding for the sterilizations by presenting them at the UN Beijing Conference on Women in 1995 as part of a progressive reproductive rights program—a classic case of ethnic cleansing masked in “development” rhetoric. The number of those sterilized under Fujimori’s so-called “family planning” program between 1996 and 2000 is estimated at 294,032 people, including 22,004 men, by Peru’s official human rights watchdog Defensoría del Pueblo. Other estimates are even higher.
While in USAID seemed to sincerely not know that they were funding genocide, the Brasilian government had released a report accusing the organization of the same thing in 1992. At the very least, they were negligent in oversight.

And again where are the international 'pro-choice' organizations in helping to reverse tubal ligations. If they only support one of two choices, the term should be 'contraceptive' not 'pro-choice'.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Are these women being forced by the government to get sterilized or are they freely choosing it themselves. Maybe I missed that somewhere.:conf2:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Are these women being forced by the government to get sterilized or are they freely choosing it themselves. Maybe I missed that somewhere.:conf2:
Medical procedures and research require informed consent​. According to information available about what is happening, I would say that standard has not been met and therefore no, these women have not given informed consent and therefore have not freely chosen.

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Medical procedures and research require informed consent​. According to information available about what is happening, I would say that standard has not been met and therefore no, these women have not given informed consent and therefore have not freely chosen.
Are you saying they were sterilized without their knowledge?:conf2:

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Some articles about the history of sterilization in California from the eugenics movement prominent in first half of the 20th century to sterilizing Mexican immigrants to prison sterilizations that occurred until 2010.

No Mas Bebes: The Nation

One woman recalls a nurse grabbing her hand and forcing a scrawled signature on the page. A medical resident training at the hospital at the time recalls seeing a colleague hold a syringe filled with pain meds in front of a suffering woman’s face: “You want this shot? Sign.” The women often did not know until years later that they’d been sterilized. Many were in the dark until approached by attorneys who, armed with hospital records provided by a whistle-blower, urged the women to join a class-action suit charging that the hospital had violated their civil rights.
California's Prison Sterilizations Reportedly Echo Eugenics Era: NPR

Nearly 150 women were sterilized in California's prisons without the state's approval, a practice that critics say targeted inmates who were seen as being at risk of serving a future jail term. Those numbers represent data from 2006 to 2010, according to the Center for Investigative Reporting, which first reported the news.Doctors performed tubal ligation surgeries on at least 148 female inmates at two facilities, reports CIR's Corey G. Johnson, with another 100 cases possibly taking place between 1997 and 2010. In that span, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation paid surgeons a total of nearly $150,000 for conducting the procedure.
Former inmate Kimberly Jeffrey, 43, tells Johnson she resisted the pressure to get a tubal ligation done — pressure that she says came while she was under sedation and strapped to an operating table.
Eugenics and the Nazis -- the California connection: SFGATE

After the war, eugenics was declared a crime against humanity -- an act of genocide. Germans were tried and they cited the California statutes in their defense -- to no avail. They were found guilty.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
LA TIMES

As of April 22, the Irwin County facility in Ocilla, Ga., no longer held any immigrant women, after dozens ultimately stepped forward to report unnecessary medical procedures conducted by a local gynecologist, which the women said were performed without their consent, according to Times reporting. Several women were deported after speaking out publicly or testifying to federal investigators about their experience with the gynecologist, Dr. Mahendra Amin, who denies the allegations and remains under criminal investigation.
A number of the women say they continue to suffer after-effects from the procedures, which included forced sterilizations and the removal of the uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes, according to reports by independent medical experts and interviews by The Times. Some still do not know what exactly was done to them.
Removal of uterus and ovaries is especially brutal because it cannot be reversed. Tubal ligations can even if it is not always successful. He wanted to make sure these women had no recourse. There is not an evil in this world that I do not wish upon mahendra amin and his family.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
LA TIMES

Removal of uterus and ovaries is especially brutal because it cannot be reversed. Tubal ligations can even if it is not always successful. He wanted to make sure these women had no recourse. There is not an evil in this world that I do not wish upon mahendra amin and his family.
Just FYI. Today many OB/GYN doctors remove the Fallopian tubes instead of just cutting them or tying them. There are some studies that indicate a higher rate of Ovarian cancer if the Fallopian tubes are left in place. So once removed there is no going back.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.