AL Gubernatorial Race

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I was unlikely to vote for Ivey in any event (BIG surprise, I know), but her refusal to debate anyone--even in the primaries--clinches it.

The GOP line is that as the frontrunner, a debate can only hurt her. Frankly, I don't care. If you are running for an executive office, you have a responsibility to debate your opponent(s). To refuse is to deny the public the ability to make an informed choice. It's even more important now, with trust in the state government being so low.

Thoughts?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I refuse to vote for a candidate who sounds like a character on “Gone with the Wind.” So Ivey is out.

I planned to vote for Walt Maddox if he got the nomination. Really impressed with this work in Tuscaloosa (as an outsider at least). I’ve never voted Democrat before the special election in December. Looks like I’ll be voting for a Democrat in two elections in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Not voting for someone that essentially said "I know this person is a pedophile but we need that Senate seat so I'm voting for them anyway."

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Not voting for someone that essentially said "I know this person is a pedophile but we need that Senate seat so I'm voting for them anyway."
This is the huge one for me. The refusal to debate is a red flag as well. I won't be voting for her.
And Jones was my first dem vote as well. I'll be looking into the Dem candidate, but haven't decided just yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Same here. Shelby is a swamp monster, but at least he told the state party to stick it and didn’t endorse Moore.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Her support of Moore changed everything for me; up until that point, I was watching what she was doing and, on balance, I was OK with her.
Now, on PBS with Don Daly (sp) a week or two ago, her best response when asked if she would support a lottery in Alabama (since Mississippi Governor was preparing to sign it into law there, and he may have by now) was, “Just because everyone else is doing it, doesn’t mean that we should.”
She needs to take her ancient behind back to her dairy farm.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I was unlikely to vote for Ivey in any event (BIG surprise, I know), but her refusal to debate anyone--even in the primaries--clinches it.

The GOP line is that as the frontrunner, a debate can only hurt her. Frankly, I don't care. If you are running for an executive office, you have a responsibility to debate your opponent(s). To refuse is to deny the public the ability to make an informed choice. It's even more important now, with trust in the state government being so low.

Thoughts?
You do not need a debate to know where she stands on the issues. She can just tell the news herself, and you can tell where she stands by what she has done since taking office. Either way, I am hoping the Democratic party can offer a better candidate so I do not have to vote for Ivey.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
You do not need a debate to know where she stands on the issues. She can just tell the news herself, and you can tell where she stands by what she has done since taking office. Either way, I am hoping the Democratic party can offer a better candidate so I do not have to vote for Ivey.
Nonsense. If that were true there would be no need for debates at all. It isn't a matter of what she has done or where she stands on the issues--it's a matter of how she handles herself and how she thinks on her feet. In addition, since she's running as the incumbent even though she was not elected to the office, the voters deserve a better look at her.

Last edited:

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
https://waltmaddox.com/public-safety/
Is it bad that when I got to the section about rape and sexual assault I thought that he lost alot of "evangelicals"

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
https://waltmaddox.com/public-safety/
Is it bad that when I got to the section about rape and sexual assault I thought that he lost alot of "evangelicals"
I realize this is a campaign site, so everything is rose colored, & taxes and individual liberty aside (bc I haven't really researched him), but color me blue and call me a liberal - I see no objectionable ideas here.
I had no idea that Alabama's rape laws were that antiquated, or that drivers ed wasn't mandatory.

And I campaigned for W, my 1st democratic vote was Doug Jones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
How is he going to pass his agenda with a Republican supermajority in both houses?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I was poking around the internet and found something I didn’t know. When she ran for Treasurer the first time, the person she beat in the GOP runoff was George Wallace’s third wife, Lisa.

I also found this picture of the Wallaces together with two other politicians.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The most egregious thing to my outside of Alabama mind regarding Ivey was that her position on Roy Moore was, "I believe the accusers are telling the truth (e.g. Roy Moore is definitely a pedophile in my view), but I'm voting for him because I want a Republican in the Senate."

I can hardly think of a worse position to have.

"I have my suspicions about the timing of this allegation, which remains unproven"

"I cannot endorse Moore due to the severity of the allegations, but I remain open-minded."

I don't think she could have done worse if she had said, "I don't believe the accusers, I believe Moore."

Would that have been egregious? Yeah, unless something later showed the allegations were false, but it would have been more consistent than what she did.

As far as the OP and debates.....it's true as someone else noted that debates are virtually meaningless in terms of finding out what someone's position is, but I think they're a necessity just as campaigning is a necessity because it shows (to a point) how respond as a chief executive on your feet to stressful situations, and if you can't handle a difficult question from either a press person or a voter, you shouldn't be making tough decisions about the state, either.

This is most important, of course, when it comes to President because Presidents receive a stature above all other politicians. The purpose of the debate is to put the challenger and Prez on the same level to be judged by the public.

(Side note for history: in 1988, the GOP was so concerned early on about Quayle debating that when the Dukakis camp wanted another debate, they offered to drop the VP debate in exchange for another Prez debate. The Dukakis advisers immediately said no, but a few days later they actually changed their minds and offered to drop it. The expectations of Quayle being able to debate were so low that the Dems figured that as long as he didn't just faint on stage, they'd have a VERY hard time actually winning the debate since winning only requires exceeding expectations and Quayle's were so low. If the GOP had taken that up, of course, we never would have gotten the infamous JFK line from Bentsen - and on the flip side, Quayle might not have begun office in such low standing that he never had a prayer).

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm a lifelong Republican, and have voted for a democrat only a few times -- all of them being what I saw as the lesser of evils.

Voted for Doug Jones. I just don't see how anybody can justify a vote for Roy Moore.

Will vote for Walt Maddox. He has done a fabulous job in Tuscaloosa. Hate that he might leave town, but it would be for the best. Even if he loses to Ivey, I don't think we've seen the last. My guess is that his real aim is for Shelby's senate seat when he finally gives it up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.