Alabama's defense is better than you think

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
The first three offenses Alabama faced this year were ranked #3, #10, and #18 in total offense and #11, #12 and #33 in scoring offense last year.
So far against those offenses, Alabama has given up 28 total points and only 7 in the first half of football.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Louisville is sort of a mess and struggled in their games the last two weeks. Arkansas St will probably end up being pretty good though.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Yeah, well, I am pleasantly surprised by today’s performance barring the first play of the game. Also, welcome back Anfernee Jennings. First game this year that resembled his play at the end of last year.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Our Defense has 'Grown up'. Bout time.
AND
Our Offensive line has figured out that if they sustain blocks and give Tua time to throw he will pick apart the other teams Defense.

Now if we could only find some consistency at Field Goal attempts. ;)

Our Defense has 'Grown up'. Bout time.
AND
Our Offensive line has figured out that if they sustain blocks and give Tua time to throw he will pick apart the other teams Defense.

Now if we could only find some consistency at Field Goal attempts. ;)
Well, he was 2/3. Nailed a 44 yarder. I can’t be too mad. I’m more concerned with punting.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
The Defensive scheme really looked good, stopping the run and allowing pass rush and keeping deep coverage. Awesome plan. The secondary is coming into its own.
I thought the defensive scheme was incredible and will only improve with experience. The only weak spot on this team in lack of depth on the front seven. Injuries would obviously offer challenges.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
One thing that’s very noticeable about this secondary is when the ball is in the air, they turn their head around. This was something I remember in the past, that was something that in my opinion got us in trouble on some long throws.

Credit to Karl Scott for getting their technique down. Also we don’t seem to give up the long ball near as much as in previous years. I know Ole Miss hit that one but outside of that, we’ve played really good. Count me as impressed with the effort of the defense and fundamentals thus far. Roll Tide!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
One thing that’s very noticeable about this secondary is when the ball is in the air, they turn their head around. This was something I remember in the past, that was something that in my opinion got us in trouble on some long throws.

Credit to Karl Scott for getting their technique down. Also we don’t seem to give up the long ball near as much as in previous years. I know Ole Miss hit that one but outside of that, we’ve played really good. Count me as impressed with the effort of the defense and fundamentals thus far. Roll Tide!
Diggs made a couple of outstanding plays against OM long throws. I don`t think he makes those plays without knowing where the ball is at the moment. Can`t know that if you don`t see it. I found myself wondering if those plays would have been made as recently as last season.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Lack of game time experience. ;)

And he may suffer from Scott Comparison Syndrome.
Scott and Delong are almost same height, but Scott weighs 20 lbs more than him. I suspect Delong will add muscle to his leg in offseason. He should improve significantly next year. he's only a freshman. Give him some time.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

The in phase and out of phase technique taught by Saban. I think secondary is better this year because of who we have back there.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
The in phase and out of phase technique taught by Saban. I think secondary is better this year because of who we have back there.
The secondary still has a ways to go in living up to Humphrey, Averett, Fitzpatrick and Harrison, all in the NFL, especially in the tackling department but they might be better later this season. Crazy to think that but they might be.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
As much as we’ve beaten this topic (whether a DB should turn his head, and if so, when) to death, I’m surprised it still comes up.

Bottom line is that, counterintuitive though it may seem, looking back for the ball is often the wrong thing to do.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As much as we’ve beaten this topic (whether a DB should turn his head, and if so, when) to death, I’m surprised it still comes up.

Bottom line is that, counterintuitive though it may seem, looking back for the ball is often the wrong thing to do.
Saban addressed this during Hey Coach for the Louisville game. Said with all of the backshoulder throws guys would look silly if they're just running down the field without looking at the WR (DB keeps running down the field while the WR sits for a throw) but they also would look bad if they're looking for the ball while the WR is 5 yards ahead of them. Thus, they watch the WR before doing anything.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.