Jacob's Funniest Unsportsmanlike Penalty Ever

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
that guy had the audacity to get up in his grill after hanging onto his leg and being drug into the end zone. i thought if anything, they should have done offsetting penalties.
The way I took it is Jacob's whole landshark thing was in direct response to how the Ole Miss player was acting, trying to hang onto his leg in the end zone and that sort of nonsense. It was in my opinion a rather funny and dare I say classy way to respond to such antics.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The way I took it is Jacob's whole landshark thing was in direct response to how the Ole Miss player was acting, trying to hang onto his leg in the end zone and that sort of nonsense. It was in my opinion a rather funny and dare I say classy way to respond to such antics.
it reminded me of jpw pointing at the scoreboard when an arky defender was running his mouth.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
He wasn't the only one to do it. Our defense did it a couple times and eventually it looked like Cochran told one of the DL guys to stop it towards the end of the game I can't remember which player it was but I think it may have been Q. Williams.

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
Pardon me for not knowing but what is a land shark and how are OM relating it to football? I'm quite sure this has been discussed before and the answer is probably buried deep in a thread somewhere but who has time to look thru 10,000 topics. Again I apologize if this has been beaten to death, I just missed it. Thanks

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I think the ref made a mistake here. He wasn't taunting; If you look at the picture, he is clearly raising his arm to mime an elephant trunk. :)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Pardon me for not knowing but what is a land shark and how are OM relating it to football? I'm quite sure this has been discussed before and the answer is probably buried deep in a thread somewhere but who has time to look thru 10,000 topics. Again I apologize if this has been beaten to death, I just missed it. Thanks
A number of years ago (Selma can probably tell us just how many) the ole sis defense started calling themselves the land sharks. With the mascot controversy at ole sis the vacuum allowed space for the land shark to become the official mascot of ole sis. Many people's first memory of a land shark was a Saturday Night Live skit.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Exactly what the rest of the universe has been asking.

Apparently it is a flat headed spongy shark-like thingy with inflatable muscles and no bite. But I’m not for sure...

Others might just say it’s the stupidest mascot on the planet... right up there with Stanford’s tree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Exactly what the rest of the universe has been asking.

Apparently it is a flat headed spongy shark-like thingy with inflatable muscles and no bite. But I’m not for sure...

Others might just say it’s the stupidest mascot on the planet... right up there with Stanford’s tree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think they took their cue from these guys:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I personally thought it was a great response to the nonsense the Ole Miss defense was trying to pull.

Guy wouldn’t let go of Jacobs well after the play then tried to get all up in his face like he actually tackled him. Jacobs throwing up the fin, grinning, and saying “land sharks” was perfect, IMO. They want to act all bad, the least they can do is take their own nonsense.

It also looked like our whole team was in on the land shark joke, everybody was doing it.

For the record I also enjoyed it when JPW told the LSU student section to call him after scoring a TD in 2008, after they had been harassing his phone for two weeks.

IMO most times a taunting penalty isn’t worth it. But sometimes it is.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Everybody won with this one, because of the new fair catch rule on kick offs. Most drives are starting from the 25 now and the ensuing drive by Ole Miss did as well.

I have the same question as others though, why is it not taunting when Ole Miss does it? If it is because they have some special right to it, will the opposing team be penalized if they sarcastically yell "Roll Tide"?

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Ok, I'll be the stick in the mud. I didn't find it funny, but I wasn't outraged either. I just hate silly penalties. The fact of the matter is that the tackler intentionally held onto Jacob's leg for about three extra steps, then lifted it up in the air. Definitely should have drawn a penalty, also.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's from a series of skits on SNL from the 1970s, where a landshark, dressed up much like the OM mascot, comes up with ridiculous reasons to be admitted to an apartment and always is. Upon admission, he pounces on the occupant...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.