Stan White and Bramlet “don’t know football”. (Final 6 minutes of radio sports cast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Listened while in my car. Couldn't help but laugh. I thought they were going to stroke out.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, I'll tell ya what.

I watched the end of the infamous 1988 Sugar Bowl game the other night where Pat Dye played for a tie against Syracuse.
He was standoffish and finally blurt out that if Syracuse didn't want the game tied, they should have blocked the field goal.

If Auburn wanted to win, they should have blocked the field goal.

Sounds good to me.
Agreed. Didn't we do that before. Didn't we call for "desperation block" against Penn State many moons ago. And we did get the block!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well, I'll tell ya what.

I watched the end of the infamous 1988 Sugar Bowl game the other night where Pat Dye played for a tie against Syracuse.
He was standoffish and finally blurt out that if Syracuse didn't want the game tied, they should have blocked the field goal.

If Auburn wanted to win, they should have blocked the field goal.

Sounds good to me.
From what I have read, that helped cost Syracuse a share of the national championship. IDK if they were better than Miami that year...probably not.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
Almost as good as the Iron Bowl down there when Muschamp was the DC and was "Hulking" out on the sideline about a few calls towards the end that sealed it for Bama... Stan whined then too. It was bad.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
They have a long histoty of radio teams that were well versed in the art of whinning. Gusty Yearout and Gary Sanders from my youth were insufferable, then came Fyffe and Trotman (a classmate of mine actually), and now Rod and Stan. They all have spouted the family line, Auburn never loses - it's those dang refs that cheated us out of a win. Sad...
I actually liked listening to Charlie Trotman back in the day. Yes he’s a barner but I always thought he was articulate and had a good understanding of the game. Stan White, not so much....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
From what I have read, that helped cost Syracuse a share of the national championship. IDK if they were better than Miami that year...probably not.
No, it just robbed them of the opportunity to whine about it.

The OU-Miami clash was two unbeatens, and the winner was in.

There's always a contrarian who says so, but Syracuse was not going to win the title that year regardless.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Clemson would be a close second on mugging WRs as part of their defensive strategy. Its like them and Auburn think the refs don't have the guts to call PI on every play so play the averages and maul the recievers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Agreed. Didn't we do that before. Didn't we call for "desperation block" against Penn State many moons ago. And we did get the block!
Thomas Rayam blocked it in 1989 at Penn St. Bama’s defense was totally gassed after the PS RB ripped off chunks of yardage running the ball on their last drive. Most think they could have walked across the goal, but JoePa kicked.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Thomas Rayam blocked it in 1989 at Penn St. Bama’s defense was totally gassed after the PS RB ripped off chunks of yardage running the ball on their last drive. Most think they could have walked across the goal, but JoePa kicked.
yeah, Blair Thomas was their stud RB.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
yeah, Blair Thomas was their stud RB.
Thanks, I knew it wasn’t Curt Warner but couldn't think of the guy’s name. I think PS actually did score on the ground at the end of that drive, but they got a five yard penalty and decided to kick. Believe me, at that point Bama was waving at Thomas as he ran by.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
After listening to it, I agree with Stan. He doesn't know football. The funniest line to me was Rod Bramblett talking about the field goal try: "And that may be Auburn's best option right here, to go for the block." Duh, ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.