A few observations, extra notes after rewatching Alabama 62, Ole Miss 7

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
C'mon, let's not do that. Jalen did make significant improvements compared to last year. Let's not be that kind of fan who nitpicks on every bits of game. I'm proud of what Jalen has done. There were one play where Jalen could've taken a loss on running but this time he threw the ball away. He did not do that last year. That beautiful drop to Jeudy... he couldn't do that. That backhanded pass up the sideline against Arkansas st.... Many of you thought it was underthrown but in my opinion, it was a good play. He is improving each week and it's great to watch Jalen grow on the field.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
IMO, they aren't nitpics because it's exactly what we saw last year. We can play like that and win against crappy defenses but against a better defense, if we are not able to execute on those fast reads and get the ball out on time, we'll get chewed up. I wasn't as adamant and observant about it as the John Doe videos were, but all last season we'd see Jalen not see an open receiver, or not take the check down, so move out of the pocket before he needed to all year. We still saw all that against Ole Miss. Same story, different season.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Crimsonaudio, you think we're doing this by design to make opposing team worry about that because 2nd half, we probably will shift gears to run the ball little more than usual?
I think it's as simple as this: CNS likes an explosive offense and when you combine that with the sick talent, the result is a game that's essentially over at half time.

Unless / until someone figures out how to effectively slow Bama down, I don't see this mode changing - Bama gets an insurmountable lead, starts pulling guys off the bench and begins to run the ball more to eat clock.

The reality is that unless Bama plays poorly, I simply don't know of a defense that can stop Tua and Co. If he keeps this up, I'm don't think he'll play an entire game this season, including post-season...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think it's as simple as this: CNS likes an explosive offense and when you combine that with the sick talent, the result is a game that's essentially over at half time.

Unless / until someone figures out how to effectively slow Bama down, I don't see this mode changing - Bama gets an insurmountable lead, starts pulling guys off the bench and begins to run the ball more to eat clock.

The reality is that unless Bama plays poorly, I simply don't know of a defense that can stop Tua and Co. If he keeps this up, I'm don't think he'll play an entire game this season, including post-season...
The LSU game will be the ultimate test of our offense. I can't wait.

But I'm pretty excited to see what both sides of the ball can do this week.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IMO, they aren't nitpics because it's exactly what we saw last year. We can play like that and win against crappy defenses but against a better defense, if we are not able to execute on those fast reads and get the ball out on time, we'll get chewed up. I wasn't as adamant and observant about it as the John Doe videos were, but all last season we'd see Jalen not see an open receiver, or not take the check down, so move out of the pocket before he needed to all year. We still saw all that against Ole Miss. Same story, different season.
I generally appreciate and agree with your observations but IMO, Jalen has made definite progress this year, even from the poor performance vs Louisville to the last 2 games. Both TDs vs AS were throws he might not have even attempted last year, including one where he was drilled by a rusher. He also tossed the ball out of bounds on one of his patented "drift to the right and run OOBs" plays. Yes, there are open receivers he has not seen or didn't pull the trigger on, so it's been mixed. OTOH, he has made observable improvement including reading the field and pulling the trigger on throws he would not have made last year. I think Enos and Tua are helping him and rather than pouting, he is a willing learner. CNS understands the vast difference between the abilities of the two and IMO, appears to be handling the situation in a remarkable way.

As an aside and on a related note: if things transpire as it seems - that Jalen is going to play the year as the willing backup - it is a great testament to the environment and atmosphere that Coach Saban has created and even more to the character and personalities of Jalen and Tua.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I generally appreciate and agree with your observations but IMO, Jalen has made definite progress this year, even from the poor performance vs Louisville to the last 2 games. Both TDs vs AS were throws he might not have even attempted last year, including one where he was drilled by a rusher. He also tossed the ball out of bounds on one of his patented "drift to the right and run OOBs" plays. Yes, there are open receivers he has not seen or didn't pull the trigger on, so it's been mixed. OTOH, he has made observable improvement including reading the field and pulling the trigger on throws he would not have made last year. I think Enos and Tua are helping him and rather than pouting, he is a willing learner. CNS understands the vast difference between the abilities of the two and IMO, appears to be handling the situation in a remarkable way.

As an aside and on a related note: if things transpire as it seems - that Jalen is going to play the year as the willing backup - it is a great testament to the environment and atmosphere that Coach Saban has created and even more to the character and personalities of Jalen and Tua.
Thank you!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.