What are 5 key things to look for in a game between Alabama vs. TAMU?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Thought I would go ahead and make a post about upcoming game this weekend. My personal thoughts here:

1. TAMU OFFENSE: Right now, Bama is ranked #14 in Total offense while TAMU is ranked #5. Am I concerned? On 1 to 10, I would say it's a 3. TAMU played Northwestern State, Clemson and UL Monroe. So of course, their stats will be somewhat slightly higher than it should. Against Clemson, Mond threw for 430 yards, while their RBs had 71 yard rushing. I don't think their offense is balanced as many would think. For them to have success against Alabama Defense, TAMU would have to do what Ole Miss tried to do, throw the ball down the field. I don't think they will be able to do that as the game goes on.

2. Is Alabama’s secondary ready? Hard to tell at this point, but I'm liking what I saw from them in the Ole miss game. I thought they improved from Arkansas State game. Diggs and Thompson played well and with their TAMU receivers. I'm curious to see how Smith bounces back from Ole miss.

3. Alabama Run Game This should be the game where Bama should be able to run on TAMU. I was hoping to see balance of run/pass game, but I'm confident we will see that soon. Right now, It's Tua's show and he has performed extremely well of lately, and I wouldn't want to mess with that. If it's not broken, don't fix it. I just wish we could see RBs run little more. The rotation of RBs is interesting. I see N. Harris has 3 touchdown for the year, while D.Harris has 1.

4. Turnovers Bama is #28 and TAMU is #97. I have a feeling that it bodes well for Bama. If we limit the turnovers, The game will be over before half time. We've seen several turnovers from our young players, Hurts, Tua, Ruggs, Smith. We have to fix that before it decides the outcome of the game in the future.

5. LB and communication I've watched Mack Wilson for the past 3 weeks, and I thought he communicated better against Ole miss, but I saw few that was missed. I'm just hoping that he continues to improve and hopefully make correct calls against TAMU. The potential is there and I think he will be fine.

What's your thoughts on the game?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: What is 5 key things to look for in a game between Alabama vs. TAMU?

I think Texas A&M is potentially the second best team in the division. I'm not buying them yet, because we've seen them start strong every season since they got in the SEC only to fade during the second half of the year (outside of 2012). A lot of that was Sumlin, but even if it was all on the previous staff, that stuff can linger. Still, they've got plenty of talent to compete and maybe Fisher has them where they need to be mentally. All that said, my keys are:

1. Own the LOS. If we can get in Mond's face in any way, the game is over. In the words of John Doe, "they dead."

2. Building on point #1, if we can run the ball at will, they dead. We haven't really done that all year, instead it's been a lot feast and famine. But we haven't needed it, either.

3. Protect Tua. If he has time, he and our WRs will pick them apart.

4. My last key is special teams. Can we see any improvement at all in the kicking game? Our return game may be the best in the country. But punting is very mediocre so far, and FG kicking is still shaky. We haven't come close to needing it but that time will come. I don't care how good the offense is.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

Thought I would go ahead and make a post about upcoming game this weekend. My personal thoughts here:

1. TAMU OFFENSE: Right now, Bama is ranked #14 in Total offense while TAMU is ranked #5. Am I concerned? On 1 to 10, I would say it's a 3. TAMU played Northwestern State, Clemson and UL Monroe. So of course, their stats will be somewhat slightly higher than it should. Against Clemson, Mond threw for 430 yards, while their RBs had 71 yard rushing. I don't think their offense is balanced as many would think. For them to have success against Alabama Defense, TAMU would have to do what Ole Miss tried to do, throw the ball down the field. I don't think they will be able to do that as the game goes on.

2. Is Alabama’s secondary ready? Hard to tell at this point, but I'm liking what I saw from them in the Ole miss game. I thought they improved from Arkansas State game. Diggs and Thompson played well and with their TAMU receivers. I'm curious to see how Smith bounces back from Ole miss.

3. Alabama Run Game This should be the game where Bama should be able to run on TAMU. I was hoping to see balance of run/pass game, but I'm confident we will see that soon. Right now, It's Tua's show and he has performed extremely well of lately, and I wouldn't want to mess with that. If it's not broken, don't fix it. I just wish we could see RBs run little more. The rotation of RBs is interesting. I see N. Harris has 3 touchdown for the year, while D.Harris has 1.

4. Turnovers Bama is #28 and TAMU is #97. I have a feeling that it bodes well for Bama. If we limit the turnovers, The game will be over before half time. We've seen several turnovers from our young players, Hurts, Tua, Ruggs, Smith. We have to fix that before it decides the outcome of the game in the future.

5. LB and communication I've watched Mack Wilson for the past 3 weeks, and I thought he communicated better against Ole miss, but I saw few that was missed. I'm just hoping that he continues to improve and hopefully make correct calls against TAMU. The potential is there and I think he will be fine.

What's your thoughts on the game?
Getting pressure on Mond with the d-line (i.e. without having to blitz too much) will be important IMHO. I thought the d-line pretty much played lights out against Ole Miss. Also, I don't think Tua has a turnover yet this year, but I understand what you're saying. His ball security was a bit loose in the 1st game especially and the young receivers have coughed up 2 or 3.

1. Control the LOS.
We did that in the Ole Miss game. If that continues they won't have a chance.

2. Continued progress of the secondary.
We are playing pretty good right now, but that doesn't mean that we can't be a lot better. aTm is better than Ole Miss so we have to keep grinding.

3. Running game.
Well, this one I think we are doing well. We are averaging 236.7 yards per game. I just think we can be even better.

4. Kicking game.
:confused: It was better in this game, but it has to get better.

All in all, I think we are find in all areas, just have to clean some things up and I think we will win going away.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012

I think getting pressure with just 4 on defense and spying Mond with Moses will be key.

Offense take care of the football and avoid turnovers. Let Tua be Tua!

Hope that Delong has a De”short” day punting.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Tua hasn't turned it over this year. Smith has one lost fumble, Hurts has one lost fumble and one int, Ruggs has one lost fumble.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

aTm has the worst offense of the teams that Alabama has faced to date. They are going to struggle to score, but Mond's ability to extend plays will put pressure on your secondary as their receivers break off routes and improvise.

aTm has the best defense that Alabama has faced to date, and it isn't close. Your punter is going to get some work in this game, as is your FG kicker, but it won't matter. Alabama still scores 40 in this game, and there is no way that aTm scores anything close to that number.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

I agree by and large. I differ on points 1 and 3.

I think Mond is a real threat with his ability to escape the pocket and create. We haven't faced a QB with that ability so far this season and they always give us fits. He gave us a bit of a challenge last year doing that and he likely improved.

I think we DO make them 1 dimensional but I think if he can slip a 4man pass rush and get his guys into a scramble drill he could have us reaching for the pepto.

On point 3 I'm not sure the stats really bear out that we are imbalanced. I think we are crazy potent in the running game and took a big step forward last week. The o line looked a LOT better. Now that was Ole Miss, this is TAMU. But I think we are pretty balanced as far as attempts. Damien hasn't looked great (he hasnt looked bad either) but Najee and Jacob's have looked super sharp.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

aTm has the worst offense of the teams that Alabama has faced to date. They are going to struggle to score, but Mond's ability to extend plays will put pressure on your secondary as their receivers break off routes and improvise.

aTm has the best defense that Alabama has faced to date, and it isn't close. Your punter is going to get some work in this game, as is your FG kicker, but it won't matter. Alabama still scores 40 in this game, and there is no way that aTm scores anything close to that number.

I'm not buying that. They are 5th in the nation after 3 games and one of those was Clemson. I watched that game and I would say they are definitely better than Louisville and Arkie State offensively. Hope you are correct though...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I don’t think aTm is as good on defense as many think. Had Lawrence played more then I believe Clemson wins by double digits. If aTm doesn’t slow Tua down then you are probably looking at a boat race because their secondary is not that good.

Their Offense concerns me more then their defense but Bama still holds them under 20.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I wish I could agree. I think A&M's offense is by far the best one we've faced. Ole Miss's WR group may be one of the best WR group's in the country, but they had nothing around them. Their OL couldn't keep pressure off the QB and their running game was mediocre. An elite WR core is easy to shut down if the QB doesn't have time to throw.

I think A&M is by far the best team we will have faced so far this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I wish I could agree. I think A&M's offense is by far the best one we've faced. Ole Miss's WR group may be one of the best WR group's in the country, but they had nothing around them. Their OL couldn't keep pressure off the QB and their running game was mediocre. An elite WR core is easy to shut down if the QB doesn't have time to throw.

I think A&M is by far the best team we will have faced so far this year.
I guess that we will find out soon enough. I just don't believe in their offensive scheme if Mond is kept in the pocket. If you let him run free like Clemson did, he is going to have a ton of success. If you force him to stand and deliver from the pocket, I think that you might shut them out.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

I guess that we will find out soon enough. I just don't believe in their offensive scheme if Mond is kept in the pocket. If you let him run free like Clemson did, he is going to have a ton of success. If you force him to stand and deliver from the pocket, I think that you might shut them out.
WE agree there but that's the trick. I think Clemson was well aware of what Mond could do out of the pocket and still wasn't able to do anything about it while legitimately boasting one of the best D-lines in the nation.

We have had this problem before as well. It is one thing to talk about how obvious it is to keep the quarterback contained and it's quite another thing to do it. IF we do that, we win this game walking away. If he scramble, it could get hairy. I think we win pretty cleanly either way.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Are you saying turnovers are a key to Bama winning?
No, I was addressing the OP's statement that we had seen several turnovers from "Bama's youngsters". He included Tua in the list of those who had turned the ball over. I was pointing out that he does not belong on that list, not having turned it over this year. In fact, Jalen, the "safe QB", has turned it over twice in half as many plays. (Let me make it clear that I'm one who is pleased with Jalen's play and see a definite improvement in his passing game. Though it is still rudimentary vs Tua's, as are most college QBs.)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

WE agree there but that's the trick. I think Clemson was well aware of what Mond could do out of the pocket and still wasn't able to do anything about it while legitimately boasting one of the best D-lines in the nation.

We have had this problem before as well. It is one thing to talk about how obvious it is to keep the quarterback contained and it's quite another thing to do it. IF we do that, we win this game walking away. If he scramble, it could get hairy. I think we win pretty cleanly either way.
So I may be giving Clemson too much credit here.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

No, I was addressing the OP's statement that we had seen several turnovers from "Bama's youngsters". He included Tua in the list of those who had turned the ball over. I was pointing out that he does not belong on that list, not having turned it over this year. In fact, Jalen, the "safe QB", has turned it over twice in half as many plays. (Let me make it clear that I'm one who is pleased with Jalen's play and see a definite improvement in his passing game. Though it is still rudimentary vs Tua's, as are most college QBs.)
Gotcha.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL

Really looking to see how our defense continues to develop in this game. I am also most excited to see how Tua performs against their defense. It has been a great year so far...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

So I may be giving Clemson too much credit here.
Not to be rude, but I think you are.

This supposed NFL All-Star defensive line Clemson has.....well, Jalen Hurts (not Tua) beat them last year. A basically one dimensional QB beat them.
And the stats are a bit skewed because once we got ahead, 24-6, we just went into "end the game" mode.

I'm not saying they're bad by any means, but ATM got 26 on them and lost what was basically another six on the fumble rule.

I think we tear out to 21-0 on ATM and lag a bit and they climb back sort of not exactly.

And a reminder ATM was at home and had two additional days of rest after the cupcake.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014

The only way this game is even close, is if we play our worse game of the season and A&M plays their best game. In that scenario, I still see us winning by 10-14 points, give or take. But if we play Bama Football, this game is over by halftime.

With that said, this Kellen Mond is a pretty good QB. He could very well be the best QB we face until the playoffs. Yes, I think Mond is even better then Jake Fromm. The issue with A&M though isn't at their skilled positions, their skilled positions have never been an issue for them - As usual, their issue is in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I see us lining up pounding Damien Harris early and often setting up the play action bombs deep. I wont be shocked to see Harris take it to the house from 50+ yards out early on. I think we see a few new wrinkles in this game on offense too that nobody has seen yet. Tua will truly be unleashed in this game.

Lastly, A&M has an extremely poor secondary. Their secondary maybe the worse secondary in the SEC on the whole and that doesn't bode well for them with our speed and talent at WR. On paper, as far as match ups go, this game is a mismatch. Their weak points are our strong points. I see us breaking 50+ points once again in this game and probably even cracking the 60 point mark once again.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.