Tua's 20 possessions in 2018

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Wouldn't it suck more if they suffer a season ending injury in a blowout? I'd think the conditioning stuff is better done in practice where they can avoid things like chop blocks and the like.

I can't think of a better example than the Tua situation. In the first game he hit his head and looked a little shook up. Fortunately it wasn't too bad, but the less of those the better. Then last game he was getting looked at on the sidelines and he went into the locker room early. I'd say it is to Alabama's advantage that he didn't have to play more, and I'd take healthy over well conditioned but beat up (and some Alabama teams have been very beat up late in the season).
It's a double edge sword. Both have their pro's and con's. You can condition all you want in practice but being game conditioned to play a full four quarters takes actually playing full games. But I agree, you run the risk of season ending injuries and I also agree that by the end of the year Bama teams are beat up and nicked up all across the line up. I brought this up because it's one thing to play a full half and maybe a series or two in the third then pull starters. But with this offense, we're pulling starters and going into mop up before halftime. These guys are barely breaking a good game sweat.

I'll also point out that it concerns me that Tua started cramping up and had to go to the locker room before halftime. I don't remember hearing the temperature in Oxford that night, but to already be cramping that early in the game is a bit concerning. I'm not sure if he just wasn't properly hydrated but good lord, our scoring drives were lightning fast. It wasn't like he was out there for extended periods of time.

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Remember when we used to fret over every third down? How would we control the clock? Could we score more than 21 if we needed to? Remember all those nail biting games with LSU that got you on the edge of your seat, biting your nails and screaming at the TV? Oh, for the good ole days.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I can only remember Tua throwing 2 bad passes in 3 games. The one that should have been intercepted vs AS and when he missed TE Smith over the middle on the 10 yard line. The other misses would have been tough completions. To me that is amazing. It isn't uncommon to see a QB throw 2 bad passes in one 3 down series let alone 2 in 3 games.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's a double edge sword. Both have their pro's and con's. You can condition all you want in practice but being game conditioned to play a full four quarters takes actually playing full games. But I agree, you run the risk of season ending injuries and I also agree that by the end of the year Bama teams are beat up and nicked up all across the line up. I brought this up because it's one thing to play a full half and maybe a series or two in the third then pull starters. But with this offense, we're pulling starters and going into mop up before halftime. These guys are barely breaking a good game sweat.
I think it does speak to the problem with a team being unstoppable all the way through a season. Sooner or later something tends to make them vulnerable.

To give another example, Alabama's offense can score so fast it might not wear the opposing defense down, but it might wear Alabama's defense down. You just have to take the points though right?

One advantage of this situation is that it gives the backups more reps and more work, so in this hypothetical scenario of the starters being worn out, the backups are more ready to go. Anyway, this sort of thing is why eventually Alabama is likely to have some major issues with someone. Be it LSU or Auburn, or Georgia or Ohio State, more than likely one of those teams is going to give Alabama a real game, and part of that will be due to the virtual impossibility of being great at everything simultaneously. There's going to be a weakness to exploit.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IMO, Bama's transition from a "tree-shredder"/"steamroller" style offense, which fit hand and glove with it's boa constrictor defense, to a rapier style offense, should provide some physical as well as psychological benefits and relief. One such benefit related to some of the injury concerns expressed in this thread is that the plodding physical trench warfare which Bama has typically waged will be significantly diminished. So, both by the nature of Bama's more finesse style of play and by the fact that it will force the opposition to abandon any focus it may have had on slow physical play because of the need to score many points themselves, will lessen Bama's physical and psychological wear and tear over a now very long 15 game season. In the past I, just a distant fan, would be kind of worn out by the end of the year just by empathy with the players who were physically slugging it out each week. Now the players will be fresher throughout the year. (Alabama will be a much more fun program to follow. Not only for its own fans but even neutral observers as they enjoy watching the dazzling skill that Bama will display each week. Brute force can be fun too :), but it is more wearying and more monotonous to all, and more demoralizing and more certain to the opposition and neutral observers.)

There are many other benefits as well as drawbacks, but this has been the direction of football for a while and now apparently Coach Saban's approach. I don't know that he is completely comfortable because football has always been such a physical game and he has always wanted to impose brute physical superiority to get a psychological advantage from the start. Not that that will be completely abandoned but it will be different and less the focus.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
The man can SEE the field..and can feel the pocket. Best awareness of the field that I have seen in a long time. He has obviously made Jalen a better player even. We are most fortunate that he wears Crimson and White.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Those would be good red zone scoring stats.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Speaking of which - we have scored 27 times (23 offensive scores, 19 TD & 4 FG) this year and only 9 of those have been from the red zone. Lots of explosive scoring plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I do believe they are limiting Tua’s ability to check out of certain plays if for nothing more to develop consistency in the running game. It’s almost too convenient to throw every down with Tua.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.