Link: Group of Hall of Famers (NFL) want annual salaries and health insurance from NFL

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
They chose to play. They knew the retirement was crap. It sucks, but that's how it goes. Even most of those"old timers" on that list made more in one contract than most of us make in twenty years of work. Maybe if they want to claim they made the NFL the NFL could counter with asking for their endorsement money they received from their popularity of playing in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree. Part of the reason NFL salaries are what they are is because of the risks involved with playing. The average career of an NFL player is not very long. Probably anywhere between 3-7 years. But, they make more money in that time frame than most people will make in two lifetimes. I think at some point "the company" is no longer responsible for paying you.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
retirement plans for different sports.
NFL
The NFL could stand for "Not For Long," with the average career lasting only three years - just enough to qualify for the league's pension plan. The league's plan is based on years of service in the league. Players who retired in the '80s and '90s receive anywhere from $3,000-5,640 per month for every season played in the NFL. Newly retired players receive $5,640 dollars monthlyfor every year of service. Players with 10 years of service receive an additional retirement bonus in the form of an annuity.

Read more: Top Pro Athlete Pension Plans https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0710/top-pro-athlete-pension-plans.aspx#ixzz5RV286lC9
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

I'm not in favor of just Hall of Fame players getting better benefits, They all should have a piece of the pie. I think health insurance is a must. Check out baseball in the link above.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
I’ve got mixed emotions about this.
MLB lost me with the first strike, even though I believe in unions. Baseball is dangerous, but not to the level of football (neither is basketball).
It is possible, outside of pro sports, to work at one job for 30 or 40 years (or more); those in sports very rarely can do even half of that. But what they put their bodies through (especially football) exceeds almost all other careers by leaps and bounds; there’s really little comparison.
I’m a believer in healthcare for everyone, especially people who work. So on that point I have no issue.
On the money, though...let me say this first: there is no way I’d ever go to any professional sporting event. Ever. I’ve had an issue with sports salaries for many years; I don’t in any way shape or form think any of them deserve what they make (I’d have to look at base salaries because in some cases I’m not sure they are undeserved). They all play a game, which, in and of itself, exists as entertainment and contributes little if anything to make the world a bette place (please remember the “in and of itself” part).
I just read that whoever finishes last at the Tour Championship this weekend will pocket well north of $300,000. For last place. In a golf tournament.
I only brought this up because for me, it’s an issue in all sports. I think, in 10 or 15 years, we may see “average” football players (never made a pro bowl, never a franchise tag) making 5-10 mil a year. I’m aware of all those who are OK with this - we just disagree.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I really do not have a problem with providing these former players with a quality insurance plan, but paying them a salary is ridiculous. With the astronomical salaries most of these players made during their careers and endorsement money, if they squandered it then that is on them. I am no fan of any professional sports, and I quite frankly would not care if they boycotted the NFL HOF. Have at it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
What these guys are asking for are benefits that are normally for someone who has ownership interest in a company. Employer provided health insurance, a continued salary even though they aren't physically working anymore, oh and by the way continuing to draw their retirement check that they're already getting. Like mentioned above, even most of the "old timers" in the time in which they played, made more money in their short career than most would make in their lifetime. Did they not have a responsibility (as do most working Americans) to invest and save their money for when they retire? The players of the last 25-30 years, their salaries compared to the average American were astronomically higher. We're now getting into multi million and hundred million dollar contracts. Where is their responsibility to invest their money rather than buying five sports cars, having two to three houses and lavishly spending the majority of what they made while they're playing?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
What these guys are asking for are benefits that are normally for someone who has ownership interest in a company. Employer provided health insurance, a continued salary even though they aren't physically working anymore, oh and by the way continuing to draw their retirement check that they're already getting. Like mentioned above, even most of the "old timers" in the time in which they played, made more money in their short career than most would make in their lifetime. Did they not have a responsibility (as do most working Americans) to invest and save their money for when they retire? The players of the last 25-30 years, their salaries compared to the average American were astronomically higher. We're now getting into multi million and hundred million dollar contracts. Where is their responsibility to invest their money rather than buying five sports cars, having two to three houses and lavishly spending the majority of what they made while they're playing?
If you're asking this bunch about taking personal responsibility, don't.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I can see it both ways. While I'm not for some sort of stipend...I mean, you earn that life money up front so you're kinda supposed to set some aside - I'd remind everyone that the NFL did for many years LIE to folks about what we now know about CTE. So I'm not exactly opposed to some sort of help along health insurance or something.

I'll tell you one thing I AM for, though, and that ought to happen. The NFL (unlike MLB) has a free minor league farm system known as the NCAA. I'd like to see some sort of support from the NFL for public education by giving back some of that chunk of change they make directly to the schools that provide them players. I wouldn't even mind if it was spread out equally among all 456 (or however many it is now) schools. Basketball could do the same to tell you the truth.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I can see it both ways. While I'm not for some sort of stipend...I mean, you earn that life money up front so you're kinda supposed to set some aside - I'd remind everyone that the NFL did for many years LIE to folks about what we now know about CTE. So I'm not exactly opposed to some sort of help along health insurance or something.

I'll tell you one thing I AM for, though, and that ought to happen. The NFL (unlike MLB) has a free minor league farm system known as the NCAA. I'd like to see some sort of support from the NFL for public education by giving back some of that chunk of change they make directly to the schools that provide them players. I wouldn't even mind if it was spread out equally among all 456 (or however many it is now) schools. Basketball could do the same to tell you the truth.
I don't know the facts adequately to have a firm opinion but I realize that Hall of Fame inductees built the NFL into the mega valuable organization that it is today. Many of them played before free agency and $ multi-million guarantees. On that basis I don't believe it is outrageous to ask for a piece of the pie.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I don't think the NFL owes the HOF's anything more and as mentioned by others, these players have earned money from the NFL and from their association with the NFL.

If the NFL wants to boost retirements, I like Kurt Warner's attitude relative to some of the others (my bold):

Warner said he was never made aware of the letter and that "my name was mistakenly attached to it." However, like Rice, Warner said he does support the effort to gain better "lifetime" benefits for "past, current and future NFL players."
I think I'll approach some my my previous employers and see what they will give me now.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
No need to start a new thread. This article is in the same vein as the original link. I love how Jerry puts things sometimes. Cuts through the bull crap (which Jerry many times can be full of. LOL!) and gets to brass tax.

"The way I see our future is I see a real serious emphasis on youth football, amateur football," Jones said. "I see it reflected at the high school level. ... I see a collegiate game that certainly has a lot of finesse in it, but is a great game and makes these kinds of adjustments we're talking about.

"But when it comes to pro football, to use a boxing term, that's when you put the 6-ounce gloves on. That's when you don't want to fight with those 10 ounce gloves or you don't fight with those headgears. ... You're paid a lot of money to go out and incur those type situations that have more risks in them."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24792409/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-says-new-roughing-passer-penalty-changed-game

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.