Abortion

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
As a foster parent I really don't see that as true.
That’s why I said most, not all. And most may not be accurate beyond the most vocal I’m aware as I know there are no hard numbers. I’m referencing the people that scream about abortion but balk at ever helping the poor, hungry, and so on.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
That’s why I said most, not all. And most may not be accurate beyond the most vocal I’m aware as I know there are no hard numbers. I’m referencing the people that scream about abortion but balk at ever helping the poor, hungry, and so on.
I'm not sure who you're talking about Matt. Christians are for defending the weakest among us, infants(born and unborn), widows, homeless. My church and most I've been involved with have generous benevolent funds for assisting those in and out of the church. What we oppose is the federal government performing that role. Promoting the general welfare in no way meant social safety nets when it was written. It is better done by neighbors, families, church(or faith) communities and local charities and governments.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
In no particular order:

-- Fund and support Planned Parenthood instead of vilifying it and restricting funding.

-- Admit that pushing abstinence-only birth control is not effective; revise sex education courses to acknowledge same.

-- Do more to advocate alternatives such as adoption, particularly safe harbor laws.

But even with all these things, women should still have the right to choose.
Just a comment to add. Wide spread poverty, birth control and lack of education is a global problem. Much of the discussion here views the issue from a developed world middle class standpoint versus what actually is the case when dealing with the inner city and the very poor nation wide where family structures have broken down for generations and the educational system is extremely ineffective. In many instances young teenage pregnancies are the norm as are premature births and all of the associated issues from lack of health care availability and effective prenatal care. I believe that it is true that if we viewed hospital records in any of our cities we would find that as much as 80% of births are paid by Medicaid and a equally high percentage are from unwed mothers.

We should face the fact that the system isn't working at any level for the very poor and develop the means to begin to address the real problem that exist through the outreach programs that you speak of.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I'm not sure who you're talking about Matt. Christians are for defending the weakest among us, infants(born and unborn), widows, homeless. My church and most I've been involved with have generous benevolent funds for assisting those in and out of the church. What we oppose is the federal government performing that role. Promoting the general welfare in no way meant social safety nets when it was written. It is better done by neighbors, families, church(or faith) communities and local charities and governments.
If you’re not sure who I’m talking about then you haven’t been paying attention to society. You watch enough Fox News that you should have seen plenty of the types of people I’m talking about.

A lot of churches do that & it’s a good thing, and also a lot if them also exist mostly to make money in a tax free haven.

The problems are bigger than neighbors, families, and churches in our modern world, and while they can do a lot it’s usually far from enough.

I don’t have a problem with social safety nets or things like universal healthcare. I think they can be done & run better than they are. I agree with Bod that there is way too much waste in government but I also don’t think it has to be that way. It could be done smarter but it would take a sea change to the way things are looked at & done.

However in the current state of our government I would rather government waste (which isn’t going away) go to helping our society be better place to live & give us all a higher quality of life rather than only going to line the pockets of the mega-rich, defense contractors, and so forth.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
and don't forget that the info on birth control that they do get, is often lies. So even if they can afford it and are having sex they've been taught that these things don't work anyway so why bother? My wife was taught that the pill gives you cancer, condoms are full of holes that let disease and sperm through, iud's will get lodged in your tubes and every other manor of idea designed to scare her away from sex. All those things do is scare kids away from having sex safely.
You are the ruler of the world.

You can make anything happen.

For the next 7 days...you only have one objective.

How do you address the issues you mentioned in your post?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
-snip-

We should face the fact that the system isn't working at any level for the very poor and develop the means to begin to address the real problem that exist through the outreach programs that you speak of.
I think for many - it's understood that what we currently have in place is not working.

I'm interested in your ideas regarding the outeach programs you mentioned.

And in what way will they improve what parents and other role models for kids are already trying to do.

Thanks!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
It's the ultimate of selfish stupidity to not protect your sons and daughters against disease/cancer. Even if they "behave" just like you want you are also placing your trust in someone else to always "behave" like you want as well, not to mention basically telling your child that if you step out of line you deserve what you get. What a high price for your child to pay for choosing someone who doesn't live up to your standard or for your child being human. Parents like this anger me.

Abortion should be avoided when possible and that includes protecting against unwanted pregnancy as a primary prevention method. I am also against government intrusion into this decision. That also means that no one should be forced by government to provide you with one or to otherwise violate their conscience in this regard. To be consistent you must support choice for none or choice for all, not just for those with whom you agree. Caveats apply.
Thanks for this post, NT. Love your passion!

If you have time, I'm interested in any clarification you could provide for the last part that I bolded.

Thanks!

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
You are the ruler of the world.

You can make anything happen.

For the next 7 days...you only have one objective.

How do you address the issues you mentioned in your post?
You see, there’s a big picture. And then you look at the big picture. Now look over here at this other thing. Did I do it right? ;)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Thanks for this post, NT. Love your passion!

If you have time, I'm interested in any clarification you could provide for the last part that I bolded.

Thanks!
Sure. Some want to say a woman has a choice but a health care provider does not. Abortion or birth control or whatever - to be consistent one should support both the woman’s choice or the providers choice the same. My opinion is that the government should not force an action by anyone. It should be their choice.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Sure. Some want to say a woman has a choice but a health care provider does not. Abortion or birth control or whatever - to be consistent one should support both the woman’s choice or the providers choice the same. My opinion is that the government should not force an action by anyone. It should be their choice.
then we have to figure out a way to regulate the number of hospitals owned by religious organizations. Right now 1 in 6 hospital beds are in Catholic hospitals and in some states a full 40% of beds are Catholic. That means if there are complications that require a procedure many are likely not going to be able. This actually isn't hypothetical for me, I had a reaction to the local during a vasectomy and the Urologist I went to only had admit privileges at a Catholic hospital that forbid the procedure so I had to find another Doctor and have the procedure a second time. This was not a positive experience and it added a question for me when I interview docs. Fortunately this isn't life or death it is just unpleasant but there are tales of women sent home with extreme complications because the hospital couldn't go against the faith and that ain't right

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
then we have to figure out a way to regulate the number of hospitals owned by religious organizations. Right now 1 in 6 hospital beds are in Catholic hospitals and in some states a full 40% of beds are Catholic. That means if there are complications that require a procedure many are likely not going to be able. This actually isn't hypothetical for me, I had a reaction to the local during a vasectomy and the Urologist I went to only had admit privileges at a Catholic hospital that forbid the procedure so I had to find another Doctor and have the procedure a second time. This was not a positive experience and it added a question for me when I interview docs. Fortunately this isn't life or death it is just unpleasant but there are tales of women sent home with extreme complications because the hospital couldn't go against the faith and that ain't right
dang, you had to do that twice? remember, if a sperm is wasted, god gets quite irate. maybe she was sending you a message

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
As said earlier: Caveats apply.

There are many problems at play here including certificate of need requirements for hospitals and other regulations that prevent competition in many markets.

Sorry you experienced that.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
As said earlier: Caveats apply.

There are many problems at play here including certificate of need requirements for hospitals and other regulations that prevent competition in many markets.

Sorry you experienced that.
wasn't fun for sure but like I said just unpleasant for me. I read a story a couple of years ago about a women who died during a miscarriage that her doctors sent her home to have because the Catholic hospital wouldn't do the medically necessary procedure. The closest non catholic hospital to her was several hours in the car, want to do that in pain? Medical need should trump faith every time or the entire system falls apart. Without it some billionaire Jehovahs witness could buy up all the hospital beds in an area and ban blood transfusions or something else equally appalling. Can you imagine being in a ER and having a critical need for blood and having a priest/preacher/nun (whatever the witness term is) say no? This happens to women in this country every single day and this isn't the Republic of Gilead yet as much as our righty friends may want it to be

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.