Metcalf says Ole Miss receivers overlooked Alabama secondary

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
How can you overlook the #1 team in the nation coming into your house and just beat you 66-3 the year before? You did not score, you should be preparing harder that ever.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He is crediting our secondary. No, he isn't using overly gushing language. But in today's age, this statement: "they had a pretty good secondary that actually stuck with us" is a glowing endorsement. He is admitting they were good enough to stick with them and defend them.

Now, I agree, it's foolish that they were so arrogant. But I do think his response is rather refreshing and atypical of what we're used to seeing.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He is crediting our secondary. No, he isn't using overly gushing language. But in today's age, this statement: "they had a pretty good secondary that actually stuck with us" is a glowing endorsement. He is admitting they were good enough to stick with them and defend them.

Now, I agree, it's foolish that they were so arrogant. But I do think his response is rather refreshing and atypical of what we're used to seeing.
Maybe I expect too much of people, but it seems it would have been much simpler to suggest you had an off game rather than back-handed compliments.

If I'm a coach or a scout and I see a player say what Metcalfe said, I think that either:
1- they're too stupid to play football at the next level, as this same team torched you last year, won the NC, and is heavily favored to win it all again, or
2- they're too lazy to do the work necessary to prepare for their opponents.

I know reading it raised my eyebrows - and I would feel the same way if a Bama player had said something as stupid.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
This is why they are Ole Miss - arrogance without achievement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Just imagine, if you will, the reaction from CNS if units on the team started coming up with names for themselves. I wouldn`t want to be in the same zip code ( although in a way I suppose it would be fun to watch! ). " NWO', " Landsharks", " Pancake Posse". Lord, it`d be apocalyptic!
The NWO Rebelled, but yet ate the Black Bear rat poison while washing it it down with a good dose of Land Shark Kool Aide, leading to their deserved demise. :)

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
They overlooked Alabama?....Yeah right.

He basically is making an excuse (and a ludicrous one at that) for getting beat.

He is essentially giving the Bama secondary a compliment, but in the same breath is discounting everything. (We overlooked them and then found out they were better than we thought.) basically...we thought they sucked so we didn’t practice that hard and they proved to be better than we anticipated)

He really had no choice but to give some props after the shellacking Bama gave them or his comments would be dumber than the excuse he made up.

Those are comments a top 10 team makes when an FCS school upsets them. If they took the #1 ranked defending national champions lightly and didn’t prepare as hard as they would for another team, then they have some deep underlying issues going on over there. Sometimes is best to just say “we got owned”.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
How do you overlook a team ranked higher than yours?
I could even buy his excuse if he made it during the first 5 minutes of the game, but after that?????? Nice adjustment, Derf.....

What is he going to say during his combine interview?..."We thought Alabama stunk and did not prepare".....Seriously???
A professional scout won't be able to keep a straight face after hearing that!!

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
This weekend was the first time I'd ever listened to their HC speak. He did an interview with Finebaum on ESPN leading up to the game and I'll be honest. I know he was a former D-1 Football player at Ole Miss and I respect the heck out of anyone who can play at that level. But the guy doesn't come across as head coach material. He seems to have a waaay too laid back temperament and almost comes across as too much of a "nice guy". And what I saw Saturday night was a team that played like their coach's personality. Soft.
reading the OM message boards after the blowout, the fans were saying Luke tries to looked angry and frustrated on the sidelines, but in reality he is clueless on how to be a HC. :biggrin:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
They overlooked the secondary of the defending national champion, current #1 team in the nation that beat you by 60+ last year.

Okay . . .

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Wwweeeelllllllllll, to be fair there was a lot of teeth gnashing and hand wringing over our secondary on these boards the first two weeks of the season. I don't have a problem with what he said. They probably bought in to what the talking heads were saying about our weaknesses in the secondary. Now, as a player about to play against the #1 team in the country that is a boneheaded mistake to make. But at least he came back and ate crow.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wwweeeelllllllllll, to be fair there was a lot of teeth gnashing and hand wringing over our secondary on these boards the first two weeks of the season. I don't have a problem with what he said. They probably bought in to what the talking heads were saying about our weaknesses in the secondary. Now, as a player about to play against the #1 team in the country that is a boneheaded mistake to make. But at least he came back and ate crow.
There's no arguing the Alabama secondary had flaws in the first two weeks of the season.

Still, you're facing the reigning national champs and are a 25+ point underdog. How do you overlook the position group you're facing? How does the coaching staff allow that to happen?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They didn't really "overlook" anything. They're using that as a synonym for what they really did: UNDERRATED the secondary.

I mean, did they actually think they were playing 11 on 7?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.