Link: Urban Meyer Warned NFL About Aaron Hernanadez

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/urban-meyer-told-nfl-scout-dont-f-ing-touch-hernandez-053259334.html

So at the end of the day , Meyer was trying to warn NFL teams to stay away from Hernandez, but was perfectly fine having him on the field as long as he won games at Florida. I mean, the lack of self-awareness is insane. Maybe Hernandez turned out the way he did in part because people like Meyer and the coaches at Florida enabled him? Maybe if they had sat him or kicked him off the team when he repeatedly broke team rules Hernandez would have turned out differently and he and Odin Lloyd would still be alive today. At what point do coaches finally get punished for winning by any means necessary?

This says more about the Coaches and the school than it does Hernandez. It says the people in power didn't do their job. They let Hernandez and others slide & beat the system as long as they were winning. So whose really at fault here?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/urban-meyer-told-nfl-scout-dont-f-ing-touch-hernandez-053259334.html

So at the end of the day, Meyer was trying to warn NFL teams to stay away from Hernandez, but was perfectly fine having him on the field as long as he won games at Florida. I mean, the lack of self-awareness is insane. Maybe Hernandez turned out the way he did in part because people like Meyer and the coaches at Florida enabled him? Maybe if they had sat him or kicked him off the team when he repeatedly broke team rules Hernandez would have turned out differently and he and Odin Lloyd would still be alive today. At what point do coaches finally get punished for winning by any means necessary?

This says more about the Coaches and the school than it does Hernandez. It says the people in power didn't do their job. They let Hernandez and others slide & beat the system as long as they were winning. So whose really at fault here?
Not every spoiled athlete turns out like Hernandez did. However, it doesn't mean coaches like Meyer and our cultural tolerance for elite athletes doesn't play a major role in producing crappy people/citizens. You can blame youth league coaches/parents all the way up to coaches on Meyer's level. The desire to win is greater than the desire to do the right thing. And when I mean "do the right thing" I mean do the right thing for that kid. It does that 9-10 year old kid no good to treat him different and let him slide on the rules just because he's your best player. That 9-10 yr old kid gets used to not having to adhere to the same rules as everyone else, then he becomes a 16-18 year old star athlete/big man on campus adolescent with hormones who doesn't have to follow rules. That graduates into an adult who has become accustomed to not having to follow rules and by that time their sense of reality has become distorted. From that distorted mindset we get a lot of the things we get from many of these college athletes and how they treat others, especially women.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

So at the end of the day , Meyer was trying to warn NFL teams to stay away from Hernandez, but was perfectly fine having him on the field as long as he won games at Florida. I mean, the lack of self-awareness is insane. Maybe Hernandez turned out the way he did in part because people like Meyer and the coaches at Florida enabled him? Maybe if they had sat him or kicked him off the team when he repeatedly broke team rules Hernandez would have turned out differently and he and Odin Lloyd would still be alive today. At what point do coaches finally get punished for winning by any means necessary?

From what I see in today's society, if you try to hold kids accountable and/or punish them, you are criticized for not being understanding to their needs/wants/hopes/dreams/individual snowflake shape, etc. Then, when these kids turn out to be a bunch of whiners, morons, and criminals who can't do anything for themselves then we get blamed for that, too. Yes, the people in charge should be allowed to discipline kids/students/athletes, and it would help tremendously. Coaches who allow talented kids to skate are going to continue to do that as long as our society continues to think people who can sing, act, coach, and play sports are worth millions of dollars. At the end of the day, people are responsible for their own actions and should be held accountable. These are, of course, only my opinions, but this thread should be interesting.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
From what I see in today's society, if you try to hold kids accountable and/or punish them, you are criticized for not being understanding to their needs/wants/hopes/dreams/individual snowflake shape, etc. Then, when these kids turn out to be a bunch of whiners, morons, and criminals who can't do anything for themselves then we get blamed for that, too. Yes, the people in charge should be allowed to discipline kids/students/athletes, and it would help tremendously. Coaches who allow talented kids to skate are going to continue to do that as long as our society continues to think people who can sing, act, coach, and play sports are worth millions of dollars. At the end of the day, people are responsible for their own actions and should be held accountable. These are, of course, only my opinions, but this thread should be interesting.
Society was a lot different in 2008 though, and even still, how you gonna warn NFL teams about a troubled player you coach but not kick him off the team?

Tide99

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
I know it's in vogue to pile on Urban Myer right now and I've never really cared for him but this is a little much for me. I don't see how he or any coach could change the trajectory of a cold blooded murderer by benching him. That's just a dark soul.

It's not like Myer knew he was basically a hitman. Even Myer would not knowingly keep a cold blood murderer on his team! I don't see it any different than Rolando McClain as far as what the coaches probably knew with the weed use and association with street life. While McClain has had his brushes with the law, as far as we know he's not a cold blooded murderer, so I'm not comparing him to Hernandez in that way.

I loved watching McClain play the game with the nasty attitude that was infectious and really made a defense to be feared. I think Tebow, Colt Mccoy, and Garret Gilbert still suffer from PTSD after facing the McClain led defense! It was Beautiful!

I hope McClain did not squander his NFL money and is getting it together. Despite the petty arrest he did graduate from UA in December of 2017 so I think he is trying to be a better a person. Sorry didn't mean to derail your thread it just made me think of McClain.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hernandez was a criminal sociopath. There's pretty good agreement among the mental health professionals that such people are born, not made, although a traumatic upbringing may contribute to worsen the condition. It turned out that, in addition, he had a brain so badly damaged that it had to have predated his involvement with UF. In light of that, I doubt seriously that anything Meyer did influenced his later behavior...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I know it's in vogue to pile on Urban Myer right now and I've never really cared for him but this is a little much for me. I don't see how he or any coach could change the trajectory of a cold blooded murderer by benching him. That's just a dark soul.
I see it as a big difference between UM changing Hernandez, which I think we all agree he couldn't, and disciplining him in such a way that he was held accountable for his actions while at Florida. Hernandez broke a guy's jaw in a bar, and got away with it! No real punishment at all, and he broke a guy's jaw for no reason (this was also kept secret from the public). That alone is serious, forget the other stuff... UM let him get away with things he has no business letting him get away with.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I see it as a big difference between UM changing Hernandez, which I think we all agree he couldn't, and disciplining him in such a way that he was held accountable for his actions while at Florida. Hernandez broke a guy's jaw in a bar, and got away with it! No real punishment at all, and he broke a guy's jaw for no reason (this was also kept secret from the public). That alone is serious, forget the other stuff... UM let him get away with things he has no business letting him get away with.
Don't forget the shooting he was accused of in 2007.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Did they have any proof that he tried to warn the NFL? A letter? An email? Not just urbans or someone else's word I hope. Didn't read the article.
A friend told me that in Mike Lombardi’s new book he says Bill talked to “the coaches” at FL about Hernandez and they gave no red flags that anything was amiss with him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

It's not like Myer knew he was basically a hitman. Even Myer would not knowingly keep a cold blood murderer on his team! I don't see it any different than Rolando McClain as far as what the coaches probably knew with the weed use and association with street life. While McClain has had his brushes with the law, as far as we know he's not a cold blooded murderer, so I'm not comparing him to Hernandez in that way.

I loved watching McClain play the game with the nasty attitude that was infectious and really made a defense to be feared. I think Tebow, Colt Mccoy, and Garret Gilbert still suffer from PTSD after facing the McClain led defense! It was Beautiful!

I hope McClain did not squander his NFL money and is getting it together. Despite the petty arrest he did graduate from UA in December of 2017 so I think he is trying to be a better a person. Sorry didn't mean to derail your thread it just made me think of McClain.

I think you're missing the bigger point. According to what has since come out during the time Hernandez and Meyer were on the same field together. Hernandez should have never been on the team. However, Meyer kept him on the team because the guy could help win when a lessor player would have long been gone. It wasn't about Meyer's ability to recognize a potential murderer. But simply holding him to rules and consequences that anyone else would have been held to.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.