Gameday radios

goldtide

Sep 1, 2018
I remember a few years ago you could buy a gameday radio. It was on a landyard and was one speaker that fit around your ear. It has the football broadcast for when you are in the stadium. I’m going to a game for the first time in a while and I’m hoping to find one. Do they still sell them? Is the radio broadcast synced up with the game? Thanks

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Yes and yes, though I'm not sure if they still have the on-ear version; I think they might only have the ones that use earbuds.

On the plus side, you can use a good pair of Sennheiser earphones/buds and it will sound better and be more comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Yes, they still sell both options. I prefer the ones with the earbuds. $30 for the year. I believe the one that goes over one ear is $25.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
If you still have an old one they will reprogram it for you for $10 at the kiosk. On ear type they will replace the battery as well - lanyard type you have to replace the batteries yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I have an extra one that I never use. It's your's if you want it. Just needs batteries and reprogramming for this year's frequency. I'm at all home games so PM me if interested.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I bought one a few years ago and from day one, dang thing never worked.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

goldtide

Sep 1, 2018
So is there any advantage for buying one? If I just brought my headphones in and streamed the station on my phone would it be just as good or would there then be a delay?

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I have bought one every year for years. They are indeed cheaply built and don't usually last more than a year. The time or two that I had one reprogrammed, it stopped working before the year was out. However, I enjoy being able to listen to the radio broadcast inside the stadium and just consider this $30/year as part of my cost to attend the games every year.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I might try out the game radio again this year. Anyone have more success with one over the other?

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
So is there any advantage for buying one? If I just brought my headphones in and streamed the station on my phone would it be just as good or would there then be a delay?
The TV broadcast is 1 or 2 seconds delayed from real-time. Friends that watched the game from our tailgate reported they would hear crowd noises from the stadium well before the tv would show what happened.

Eli’s radio broadcast on the Game Day radios is real-time.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I might try out the game radio again this year. Anyone have more success with one over the other?

Personally I don’t like the clip-on one hanging from my ear. Component quality is the same between the two.

I guess I take car of my unit more than most?? I’m on my 4th year with my current one, and it still works fine. At the end of each season, I just remove batteries and put it in zip lock baggie until next season.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

The one with the earbuds is better because the crowd noise can down out the other one. Plus it uses a standard headphones port, so you can use your own, better quality earbuds with it.

You can also use a splitter and two pairs of earbuds to share it with your significant other - if you both are good at tethered sharing. :)

ETA:
I'm not sure about the over-the-ear version but I do know the other version can be switched into FM mode and receive standard radio broadcasts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Personally I don’t like the clip-on one hanging from my ear. Component quality is the same between the two.

I guess I take car of my unit more than most?? I’m on my 4th year with my current one, and it still works fine. At the end of each season, I just remove batteries and put it in zip lock baggie until next season.

Guess mine is 6 years old (2012 season)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.