Personal Story - Be very cautious of "Dry Shampoo"

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Hey everyone,

I know I've been absent lately..... but I just wasn't prepared to share a personal story until after we were in the clear. Our daughter recently was in a horrible car fire -- that was triggered by a can of dry shampoo she had in the backseat of her car.

The can began to leak while she was driving....she heard it leaking and pulled into a retail plaza to park and try to figure out why it was leaking, etc. As she pulled into the parking lot, something caused it to ignite (they aren't sure if it was static electricity, a cell phone, etc ) and it proceeded to work like a blow torch within the car.

It burned her legs, arms, ankles, hands, and face.....all were 2nd degree except for her ankles and left hand which required skin grafts....she's had two surgeries so far, but they think that should be enough for her to heal properly. I am thankful that she survived. I do believe that some higher power was watching over her -- because as she jumped out of the moving car, while on fire.....a nurse happened to be shopping in the store, and came to help her.....they pulled her inside the store and moved her to the back to help her until EMTs arrived.

But, this story is going to have a happy ending. Because this girl is a fighter.....and she's the strongest person I know. And she's already ahead of schedule, and she's planning on beating this.

Please tell your loved ones, that this stuff is dangerous. There are many reports of the dangers of this product. And - the more we read, the more scared we are. If you have wives, daughters, girlfriends that use this -- please don't let them keep it in the car . If they buy it and aren't going home -- bring it inside with them......

Roll Tide all -- my little red haired "semi" Cajun Girl is gonna make it.....but she's going to have many months before life gets back to normal. But -- she's with us....and that's what's most important.

But, please warn those close to you....this stuff is dangerous

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Sorry to hear CC.....I didn't know they made a product like that, but appreciate the warning and sharing this story with us.

Let us know what we can do, please.

Sending prayers for your little girl!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
She and you all have our prayers. I'm so glad she survived. The stuff doesn't work anyway. When I was in the hospital in January for colon surgery, and my stay went from overnight to eight days, they tried it on me. I couldn't tell it helped...

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The more research we do into this -- the worse it looks. There have been cases where the stuff has just exploded while on the shelf....and at least 6 other reported cases I've found where it's exploded in cars....all others were without anyone in the car at the time.

She was unfortunate to have been driving when it happened this time.

I just don't know if people who haven't suffered or helped someone who has suffered with multiple body burns, etc - just how painful it is. When they wounds are cleaned, it's nothing short of torture. I still can't believe that she's been able to be so positive about her recovery --

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Prayers for your daughter and all of you, I hope she makes a speedy recovery. I have never heard of this but I will make sure the family gets the warning. Thanks for posting it.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
CC, So sorry to hear this terrible news. Prayers for speedy recovery for your daughter. Thanks for sharing the risks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sorry to hear this.

My wife uses the stuff about four days a week. From what you've found, are the issues limited to dry shampoo or aerosol cans all together?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sorry to hear this.

My wife uses the stuff about four days a week. From what you've found, are the issues limited to dry shampoo or aerosol cans all together?
My wife got her hair spray confiscated last week boarding in Geneva. The airline ban is for all aerosols. However, the Luseta brand of dry shampoo seems to have more reports than any other aerosol...

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Like one other my wife has used this product at times. I have shown my wife this post and she took it to heart. I'm sorry that your daughter had to be the person that learn this horrible lesson but at the same time was able to share to save others from this. She is in my prayers.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Thanks all. The insurance agent said that it appears it may have been a faulty can. And that the leaking happened first and the can rolling on carpeted floor mats could have caused static that ignited it. A freak occurance. Crazy bad luck.

On the positive, the arms are now in pressure sleeves and no longer foam wrapped and bandaged. Big leap forward

And she was finally able to make a fist on grafted hand. The docs were amazed that she could this soon

Victories are sweet.

RTR

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Wow Cajun I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. I will pray for her and your family. She sounds like a strong girl. God bless her and you.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Cajun, I posted on this early yesterday and for some reason that post does not appear. Your daughter and family have my thoughts and prayers. I have passed this along to my two daughters. Keep us updated.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Cajun, I'm not a "sue happy" person by any means. But are y'all going to contact the company and report this in hopes of having them cover the medical bills? I have no doubt the manufacturer has liability insurance for defective products that cause injury. They're required to. From what you described this was a very serious incident that caused physical harm to your daughter. I wouldn't want my insurance footing the bill for it.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Cajun, I'm not a "sue happy" person by any means. But are y'all going to contact the company and report this in hopes of having them cover the medical bills? I have no doubt the manufacturer has liability insurance for defective products that cause injury. They're required to. From what you described this was a very serious incident that caused physical harm to your daughter. I wouldn't want my insurance footing the bill for it.
We have a friend of the family that's looking into this for us. He's an attorney. A little out of my area of expertise -- but he's considering the details and will get back to us. Thanks for the idea....I agree, not looking for a pay day, but if this was a faulty execution issue - then I agree, they should at least cover the medical/auto losses.

thanks all.....she's a fighter. Coach Saban would be pleased!

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The fire inspector dropped a scary little nugget on us yesterday. He said that had she taken one more breath before leaving she would have died. That because it was a flash fire and it was rushing at her so fast that any additional breath would have resulted in her breathing in the fire and she would have suffocated almost instantly.

He was telling her that he was completely amazed at her ability to recognize the situation and react correctly without hesitation. He entered that into his report.

Ain't gonna lie. That one has messed with me a bit. The burns were hard enough. But he said that she was one breath away really bothers me.

Makes me angry. And I'm not sure why. She did nothing to deserve that A bit too close for me

Sorry for the ramble. There are lots of misplaced emotions right now.

She's wearing her 2015 Champs Sweats today with holes in spots so the donor site can stay exposed. But she's ready. RTR

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The fire inspector dropped a scary little nugget on us yesterday. He said that had she taken one more breath before leaving she would have died. That because it was a flash fire and it was rushing at her so fast that any additional breath would have resulted in her breathing in the fire and she would have suffocated almost instantly.

He was telling her that he was completely amazed at her ability to recognize the situation and react correctly without hesitation. He entered that into his report.

Ain't gonna lie. That one has messed with me a bit. The burns were hard enough. But he said that she was one breath away really bothers me.

Makes me angry. And I'm not sure why. She did nothing to deserve that A bit too close for me

Sorry for the ramble. There are lots of misplaced emotions right now.

She's wearing her 2015 Champs Sweats today with holes in spots so the donor site can stay exposed. But she's ready. RTR
That is terrifying and gratitude inducing and infuriating all at the same time. You are right to be a mix of emotions right now. And all else be damned - this company needs to cover all of her expenses related to this for all time and for pain and suffering, not to mention incentive to let it never happen again.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hmm... Looks like the dermatologists' recommendation is to use for no more than two days in a row and no more than a three month period. It doesn't clean the scalp...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.