Dickey Betts in critical condition, facing brain surgery after ‘freak accident’

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
:frown:

Months after returning to the stage after years of retirement, legendary Allman Brothers Band guitarist Dickey Betts is "critical but stable" after a "freak accident" at his home in Sarasota County, according to his website.

The site says Betts was out playing with his dog at his Osprey home on Monday when he slipped and cracked his head, causing bleeding in his brain. He was sedated at a nearby hospital, but will undergo brain surgery to relieve swelling on Friday.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/sound...ent-near-sarasota-upcoming-concerts-canceled/

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks very much for the update....I had been thinking about Dickey and wondering how things were going.

When I enrolled at UF in the fall of '72, The Allman Brothers were my fav. band. Got to see them in Tampa later in the year (Wet Willie opened).

Will post a pic later.....

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
For those interested, Dickey Betts' surgery went well and he's recovering.

https://dickeybetts.com/blog/

I'm a Southern Rock fan, and particularly liked the Allman Bros. Plus, The Dickey Betts Band was the lead-off band in first concert I ever went to.
I was fortunate enough to see Betts with ABB five times (once before Duane was killed). Saw him personally once from about 20 ft when he was leaving a club I was in - he’d just finished playing pool with a buddy of mine, I didn’t recognize him leaving, (it was a club, not well lit) but my buddy was kinda star struck afterwards.
Glad to hear he’s recovering; I have a friend (Bama grad) that had a similar accident after Tua’s TD game winner in last years NCG. Messed him up bad, he’s finally going to UAB for a second opinion (doctors down here leave a lot to be desired).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.