Alabama podcasts

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Hi, everyone,

Living out here in New Mexico and having a pretty crazy work schedule, it's sometimes difficult to keep up with the latest on our beloved Crimson Tide. I've found podcasts to be a fun way to stay up to speed with the goings-on with the team and the perspectives around and about it (in addition, of course, to this forum). I'm curious to know if there are Bama podcasts y'all recommend. My current favorites are (in no particular order)

Alabama Football Podcast (game recaps from 2 knowledgeable and passionate fans)
Bama Beat (News UA sports podcast with Cecil, Tommy Deas and the gang)
Origins (the 3-episode arc about Nick Saban and Alabama with several full-length interviews)

The Bryant Museum had a good one for a while, but they stopped updating so I unsubscribed.

Hoping this thread might become a nice resource for curious souls like mine.

Moderators, feel free to move or delete if necessary.

RTR

nickcut

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 3, 2015
In addition to the three you've mentioned, BAMS Radio is really good, and Roll Bama Roll has interviews that can be pretty informative.

Bama Beat... uh... can be good depending on who is hosting. There is a female host (i can't think of her name) that just feels completely out of place. Not because she is a woman, but because I don't think she understands the game of football enough to add anything but cringe-worthy comments and adds nothing but a distraction to the discussion.

I think Cecil can be insightful and I am less impressed with Tommy Deas. Those guys both have the voices of a whiskey-drowned old men who haven't put out a cigarette in decades. I used to think they kept them on separate shows to give the speakers in my headphones a break.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Frankly, most of the Alabama podcasts I've listened to have had impressively bad production value. I can't listen to something for 30-60 minutes where it seems like I'm listening in on a conference call where everyone has called in on their smartphone from a wind tunnel

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
My general opinion of all podcasts of all genres is pretty low. As is the case for most "news," I would rather read about it than watch or listen to it. Too many try to be witty, "cutting edge", vulgar, etc. That said, if Coach Stallings ever did a podcast, I would listen to it :D

Jess has participated in the Bryant Museum one and you're right, it was good and interesting.

My opinion on this general topic also probably needs to be discounted because my view is that most podcasters are amateurs trying to be 'bigtime' even if they make money from their podcast or they're espn talking head types to are trying to reach "a new media channel" to monetize.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Like Padreruf, I'll listen to Bama Beat, walking and in the car. Alabama Insider is a 2 minute byte or even a two hours episode like last Saturday's Preview show. Also, BamaOnline is another one. All are ok, often informative, none are outstanding. You get what you pay for. So, caveat emptor.

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
In the 2 years since I made the original post, I've checked out Locked on Bama, which is pretty good except it sometimes sounds like one of the guys is talking into a soup can attached to piece of string. BAMS is good, and Alabama Insider is good for getting Hey Coach/Nick Saban show (good for me in New Mexico anyway). I was listening to Touchdown Alabama but stopped when I disagreed with Stephen M Smith's take on blaming CNS for Tua's hip injury - should probably go back to it.

They're all good for listening while running, doing chores, etc.

I agree with BamaNation that I would happily to listen to any podcasts featuring Coach Stallings all day every day. Anyone know how he's doing these days?

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
My general opinion of all podcasts of all genres is pretty low. As is the case for most "news," I would rather read about it than watch or listen to it. Too many try to be witty, "cutting edge", vulgar, etc. That said, if Coach Stallings ever did a podcast, I would listen to it :D

Jess has participated in the Bryant Museum one and you're right, it was good and interesting.

My opinion on this general topic also probably needs to be discounted because my view is that most podcasters are amateurs trying to be 'bigtime' even if they make money from their podcast or they're espn talking head types to are trying to reach "a new media channel" to monetize.
An "amateur" is one who does something for the love of it (from Latin amo.) A professional is one who does something for money...per common vernacular. I will take a knowledgeable "amateur" over a "professional" just about every day of the week.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
An "amateur" is one who does something for the love of it (from Latin amo.) A professional is one who does something for money...per common vernacular. I will take a knowledgeable "amateur" over a "professional" just about every day of the week.
I'll pass on both when it comes to 99% of podcasts :D Most takes are, like ESPN and all other "news" outlets these days, done for clicks and views. But, again, that's JMHO ! If y'all find some that are beneficial or interesting, great!

CrimsonToffee

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 23, 2005
Atlanta, GA
www.derekgolden.com
Getting ready for the new season, I realized that although I listen to lots of podcasts on other topics, I’ve never really looked too closely at college football ones.

I’ve checked out some of the ones mentioned above, but since it’s been quite a while since anyone updated this thread, I’m wondering if anyone has any new recommendations? Even for non-Bama-specific ones that maybe focus on the SEC as a whole or college football in general?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.