Alabama kicking game...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
In the 2013 AU game I wasn't counting the FG kick on the final play. We missed 2 FG's earlier in the game and then had another one blocked with about 3 minutes to go. If we convert those opportunities then the Kick Six play doesn't matter.
Gotcha gotcha

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I find it hard to believe with all the recruiting skills you guys don't have a reliable kicker.

Is it just bad luck - or is there a valid reason you don't have one. It's not the only season this has happened either.

Serious post & question - not trying to be cute.
You guys took our last high-level kicker commit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
There is some of both. We have missed out on some elite kickers that changed their minds at the last minute.

Bama is inherently one of the most stressful kicking jobs in all of college. You are playing for one of the most intimidating coaches alive. College or Pro. Kickers are 95% mental and they can come unglued extremely easily when the take a hit to their confidence. Early on coach was very hard on his kickers. Even so much that other coaches on the team suggested he go easier. We also have never had a dedicated kicking coach until we hired Banks. So throw those all together and you have a delicate situation at place kicker. The last couple years coach interacts with the kickers much differently than he did a few years ago. Now we just need to hit on an elite kicker.
Thank you Skeeter.....that explains a lot and gave me some insight I wasn't aware of.

We've had our share of troubles in the Special Teams department too at Florida. Really drives you crazy! :redface:

I've always enjoyed Special Teams - aside from the obvious impact on the score - it really adds an extra layer of excitement beyond what you get during the rest of the game.

Hoping Joe Bulovas ends up filling the role for you this year!

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
As "uneven" as Alabama's FG kicking has been, at least since 2009 (as far back as cfbstats goes), it has been just a little below the national average. Bama has been better than the median team 4 years and worse 5 years. Bama has averaged a number 67 ranking vs the typical median of 64. Bama has had at least 3 decent to good FG kickers: Tiffin, Shelley and Griffith. Even Foster was 10-12 before the AU implosion and AP was above the national avg till the NC game last year. The reason we are so aware of Bama's FG woes is because of the high profile failures. As sp noted, Bama's kickers are in a lot of high-pressure situations. Though as a couple of others have pointed out it has only cost Bama 2 game (2011 LSU and 2013 AU, not the Kx6 but the other 3 misses. And who would trade an AP last second make for Tua's bomb?). But overall Bama has just been a little below the national avg since 2009. I.e., other teams miss a lot of FGs too.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
To start with, a little gallows humor...
With our Field Goal and Extra Point's being anything but automatic...
We could go for it on 4th down a little more often.
We could go for the 2 point conversion a little more often.

This sound like little confidence in our kickers. Your right, I'm not impressed so far...
What I wouldn't give for a Peter Kim, or another Van Tiffin...

tmv85

All-SEC
GMac and Taylor Zarzour were talking about this on The First Team the other day. Greg was talking about how kickers are all “mental” and in the days of social media, the negative comments that are made by fans can get into their heads. He was saying Leigh Tiffin basically didn’t care about fans’ comments, and that’s why he didn’t miss much. This is probably not the best paraphrase of what Greg said, but you get the gist, I hope.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
GMac and Taylor Zarzour were talking about this on The First Team the other day. Greg was talking about how kickers are all “mental” and in the days of social media, the negative comments that are made by fans can get into their heads. He was saying Leigh Tiffin basically didn’t care about fans’ comments, and that’s why he didn’t miss much. This is probably not the best paraphrase of what Greg said, but you get the gist, I hope.
Well bless their little egotistic heart. I hope my opinion doesn't ruin their career.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Well bless their little egotistic heart. I hope my opinion doesn't ruin their career.
I think if I was a player today I’d shield myself as much as possible from social media...not because I didn’t want people’s opinions but because there is enough to deal with as a young person trying make good grades and succeed at a top tier football program like Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Dude, kickers aren't real people like you and I. They are their own unique part of the game, full of superstition, paranoia, and other odds and ends. I'm telling you right now, they are all a different breed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tmv85

All-SEC
Dude, kickers aren't real people like you and I. They are their own unique part of the game, full of superstition, paranoia, and other odds and ends. I'm telling you right now, they are all a different breed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I think that was Greg's point. They have a tendency to let things get in their heads as it is. Add in fans who are tweeting crap...not just the normal criticism, but vicious, hateful, threatening stuff...and it just makes it worse. His point about LT was that he didn't care what anyone said, so he was able to go out, kick, and move on.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I think that was Greg's point. They have a tendency to let things get in their heads as it is. Add in these kids spend too much time on "social media"......................
FIFY.

Too bad there isn't a Rule 5 draft, where we can poach the best kickers from other teams.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.