Going To The Game (RANT)

bama_fan01

Hall of Fame
Aug 25, 2003
Ranburne, AL, USA
Going To The Game (RANT)
"If your going to the game,remember to do your part or don"t say a word about a player not doing his part. I remember going to games from 90s-06 driving from KY every weekend to home games not the best of times for Alabama football. Tubervilles fingers, watching old Alumni sit there patting there hands together. Wishing they still had games in Birmingham where the best atmosphere to be at was.https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/...rt_river_indexIf your going to the game do your part sell your tickets to somebody who wants to be part and not to just say I went to the game Sat."
You the bestest fan.
Or is he the most goodest fan?

I may never post again...the grammar police are a vicious lot! :p

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Since we’re on the subject of grammar, Tide is singular and tides is the plural form of that word. Ex1: The Tide is rolling today. Ex2: Between the high and low tides, Bama would be high tide!
The general rule for collectives is that if the group is acting like a single unit, use the singular; if, however, they are behaving as individuals, use plural.

The couple has gone out to dinner.
The couple have gone to work in different cars.

Some style manuals specify that since most teams names are plural, all team names are plural.

Most people end up using alternate wording--Alabama is beating the crap out of [enter opponent name here]. Or "Members of the Tide visited with their family."

There will be a quiz next week.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
The general rule for collectives is that if the group is acting like a single unit, use the singular; if, however, they are behaving as individuals, use plural.

Some style manuals specify that since most teams names are plural, all team names are plural.

Most people end up using alternate wording--Alabama is beating the crap out of [enter opponent name here]. Or "Members of the Tide visited with their family."

The one I hate the most is the european / UK English grammar, e.g. "Manchester United are getting their kit on" "England are sure to win this match." I've recently heard this start bleeding over into American sports via announcers who are trying to sound "smart."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The one I hate the most is the european / UK English grammar, e.g. "Manchester United are getting their kit on" "England are sure to win this match." I've recently heard this start bleeding over into American sports via announcers who are trying to sound "smart."
They've been saying "The Crimson Tide are" all week...

I guess I’ve been American too long. Well, all my life. What group doesn’t act like a singular unit? Now, if we start talking about the individual entities in that group that’s when it comes plural. You changed it up a bit in your last sentence with “Members.”

For me the Tide has always been seen as collective. It seems recently this European look at things has changed.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I guess I’ve been American too long. Well, all my life. What group doesn’t act like a singular unit? Now, if we start talking about the individual entities in that group that’s when it comes plural. You changed it up a bit in your last sentence with “Members.”

For me the Tide has always been seen as collective. It seems recently this European look at things has changed.
Yes. It's rampant and I detest it.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
"One off" and "penultimate" are all the rage now too.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Tua had hisself a really good game irregardless of what the fans did today. I could care less if we have everyone there all four quarters. The Crimson Tide are going to roll no matter if your in the stands or not.

Did I commit off of the errors mentioned so far in the thread with one added bonus which is my pet peeve? I tried [emoji12].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am going to type a run-on sentence because there is nothing any of you can do to stop me from doing it and it will drive all of the grammar police crazy to see this run-on sentence so I will keep this going until I run out of things to say in this run-on sentence because I really hate punctuation so I will not even use it to finish this run-on sentence

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.