Television Technology & Alabama Football

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
God bless being alive in 2018.

At the last minute, a friend of mine got me and my wife VIP tickets to the NAS Oceana Air Show in Norfolk, VA. It's a HUGE airshow that only the largest naval and air station in the world could dream of hosting. It's not an experience you want to miss - especially when it's free and comes with VIP service. (Hello, complimentary catered food and drink.)

The bummer?

Of course it's going to cause me to miss the Alabama game - or is it?

Because of this beautiful (and sometimes frightening) digital age we live in, I'll be able to stream the game straight to my phone.
In between demos of F-22a Raptors, vintage Corsairs, and the Blue Angels, I'll be able to watch the Tide open the season at home against the Aggies.

It may just be the most American experience I've ever had. Eye-watering aerial military might and the Alabama Crimson Tide beating the stuffing out of a Texas team.

My question to you is, how often have you been forced to creatively use technology to catch a Bama game? What's the story?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Idk have a great story but I probably watch more football on my phone than on TV. I have too much going on most weekends to actually sit down and watch as much football as I'd like to. So instead I catch pieces of games on my phone.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I have shared this story in the past but in 2000-2002 we lived in London, England. All I was able to get in our flat was British Telecom (BT) dialup. (For those who have conveniently forgotten, 2000 & 2001 seasons were awful. We were actually flying to the UK on the Saturday of the Bama - UCLA game and watched the first half in the airport. )

Anyway, once we got our flat setup, I would have my brother aim his webcam at his big screen TV and I watched games over dialup via Yahoo IM Video (about 3" picture on my laptop). Given the nature of dialup and the fact that football is a fast moving game, all kinds of pixelation and drops would occur. I could usually maintain the audio but doing that at CST gametime +4 or + 5 hours (and sometimes +6 or +7 if we were in mainland Europe travelling) was painful.

Those of you traveling these days count your lucky stars that you don't have to (a) experience teams as terribly coached as those two teams and (b) dialup is something only us OFC folks remember :D

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I use Emby (running on my media server) to access my media content from anywhere remotely. Since I use a compatible network attached cablecard tuner (HDHomerun Prime) to receive cable programming, Emby has the built-in ability to stream my live TV channels to the remote web-based Emby client I'm using wherever I am - whether on the phone, a remote PC, or whatever. It works as long as the channel is not DRM-protected and Charter (now Spectrum) really only puts DRM on the premium channels like HBO, etc. So for the most part, if I can get the game on my cable package (which is 100% of the time these days), I can watch the game pretty much wherever I am. It has come in handy on many a soccer field over the last few years....

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I use Emby (running on my media server) to access my media content from anywhere remotely. Since I use a compatible network attached cablecard tuner (HDHomerun Prime) to receive cable programming, Emby has the built-in ability to stream my live TV channels to the remote web-based Emby client I'm using wherever I am - whether on the phone, a remote PC, or whatever. It works as long as the channel is not DRM-protected and Charter (now Spectrum) really only puts DRM on the premium channels like HBO, etc. So for the most part, if I can get the game on my cable package (which is 100% of the time these days), I can watch the game pretty much wherever I am. It has come in handy on many a soccer field over the last few years....
This is next level dedication. Probably pretty simple for you as it sounds like you either work in a field involving these various components or it's just a passion. Pretty stinking cool setup though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
This is certainly not considered high tech, but I have had to use an ear bud and radio to listen to a few Bama games at weddings. :) I suppose many, many years ago that would have been considered high tech.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
If I am going to be home within a couple of hours of the game ending, I just DVR and shut off my phone.

Last year I was in Amsterdam during the Auburn game and my son and I watched the game on his iPhone live. Normally I watch on a 65" TV so it was a huge adjustment.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
This is next level dedication. Probably pretty simple for you as it sounds like you either work in a field involving these various components or it's just a passion. Pretty stinking cool setup though.
Just a bit of a side hobby. It's actually not as complicated as it sounds - well, once you have the hardware anyway.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If I am going to be home within a couple of hours of the game ending, I just DVR and shut off my phone.

Last year I was in Amsterdam during the Auburn game and my son and I watched the game on his iPhone live. Normally I watch on a 65" TV so it was a huge adjustment.
In Amsterdam proper or Schiphol?

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Long-time cord-cutter, so stream live programming via internet and roku, which is great except for when the isp is down. Pulled out the phone and cranked up the content mobile app for the game, then opened up a hotspot from the phone and told my roku to connect to my phone’s hotspot instead of to my wireless router as it normally does. I was then able to cast the game from my phone to my roku. Voila: live-streamed game on my tv by way of my phone’s cellular signal.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This is certainly not considered high tech, but I have had to use an ear bud and radio to listen to a few Bama games at weddings. :) I suppose many, many years ago that would have been considered high tech.
When you are 71 it is (still) high tech ;) I have did that several times at weddings, hospitals and other places where I needed earbuds. Of course the first couple of times there were no earbuds ~ just one little speaker for one ear.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
If Beth Mowens is calling our game, I'd much rather listen to Eli anyway. Heck, I wish we could listen to him simultaneously. Someone with more technical knowledge than me tell me how to cinq both together at the same time... Game on espn, turn volume down, then turn up radio for Eli. ;)

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al

Get the tune in app. If you have cable with DVR, the game will be ahead of Eli just pause until Eli catches up. If you have Hulu live, Eli will be ahead of that so I pause Eli until they’re synched up. I have a soundbar with Bluetooth so it sounds just as good as the game audio. You get crowd noise, commentary during commercials and best of all during CBS games, no Gary.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Ever cursed during a wedding when Bama had a bad play?
Almost as bad, during the Candlelight Processional in Epcot when Alabama was playing Georgia in the SECCG in 2012. Whoppi Goldberg was the speaker and I swear that she gave me the evil eye when I did it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.