Metal Detectors at BDS Question

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
I’m going to the game tomorrow for the first time since metal detectors have been installed. Anyone have any experience or insight on getting miniatures into the game? Thanks in advance!

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Sorry, snake. No advice on getting hooch into the game, but the metal detectors are a disaster, based on my experience last Saturday.

We sat on the west side and getting into the stadium took well over an hour. I would have said stood in line, but eventually there was no line at all, just a crowd pushing forward. People were having to carry their kids to keep them safe. It is a tribute to the generally polite nature of our fan base that it didn't turn ugly and/or get anyone hurt. Lots of fans missed kickoff.

I won't go on the full rant, but if you are planning to go to a game this year, I recommend you leave off tailgating early. Personally, I stood outside waiting to get in longer than the first half lasted.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sorry, snake. No advice on getting hooch into the game, but the metal detectors are a disaster, based on my experience last Saturday.

We sat on the west side and getting into the stadium took well over an hour. I would have said stood in line, but eventually there was no line at all, just a crowd pushing forward. People were having to carry their kids to keep them safe. It is a tribute to the generally polite nature of our fan base that it didn't turn ugly and/or get anyone hurt. Lots of fans missed kickoff.

I won't go on the full rant, but if you are planning to go to a game this year, I recommend you leave off tailgating early. Personally, I stood outside waiting to get in longer than the first half lasted.
I believe part of the problem Saturday was the storm causing most to head to the stadium at the same time.

And apparently, not everyone showed up to work.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
We had an entire section (50%) of metal detectors not being used on Saturday on the eastern side. Workers not showing would make a lot of sense as to why they weren't being utilized.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
While I enjoy a good beer and a nice Scotch as much as the next guy, I'm pretty sure there's a medical term for someone who can't go four hours without putting some alcohol in their system.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We entered on the south end this past Saturday and they just waved me through - I think the rain causing people to delay heading to the stadium made the situation worse.

I think metal detectors are a terrible idea - it's going to make going to the game even more of a hassle.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Find some with a plastic cap! :biggrin2:
That was my first thought as well! You can always buy a half pint of some cheap swill (most cheap stuff comes in an all plastic bottle/cap) and dump it out and refill with your favorite. I’d think a flat half pint, or pint bottle would be easier to conceal than a few miniatures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
We entered on the south end this past Saturday and they just waved me through - I think the rain causing people to delay heading to the stadium made the situation worse.

I think metal detectors are a terrible idea - it's going to make going to the game even more of a hassle.
On Saturday it was pretty rough - we went through the same line you did. :)

However, for the Arkansas State game, our experience was different. I usually like to be in my seat in time to watch warm-ups. By doing so for the Arkansas State game, the metal detectors added about 15 seconds to my time waiting to get into the stadium.

This past Saturday was an exception due to the Tidefans' hangout and the rain.

Moral of the story: if you don't want to wait in a long line, get to the stadium earlier.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
By doing so for the Arkansas State game, the metal detectors added about 15 seconds to my time waiting to get into the stadium.
This past Saturday was an exception due to the Tidefans' hangout and the rain.
This. We barely noticed the metal detectors from a time stand-point for Arky State. The combination of rain timing, the larger crowd, and missing workers made for a perfect storm last week. Until the crowd's arrival habits learn to take in the FINAL impact of the metal detectors, arrive earlier than you normally would.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the metal detectors should’ve been inside instead of outside of the gates, but the University is too cheap so it’s a gaggle and a confusing experience going through

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.