JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Texas A&M Wrap-up: Tua Shows Out, Bama Shows Up Aggies
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 23rd, 2018 01:34 AM

As the Texas A&M Aggies went into halftime Saturday, they were faced with the reality that despite doing everything just about as perfectly as they could have in the first half, they still gave up more than a point a minute to Alabama’s offense. It’s a piece […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

Phenomenal as usual Jess. I counted 8 sacks but I’ve seen as low as 6. Either way, the DL was playing. They looked angry for a few drives too. I’m not so worried about the running QB as most because we were there to
Make the plays on Mond we just missed the tackle and we limited his cast greatly in the first half. I am concerned about run blocking though. That should be a staple and I hope they get the kinks worked out. Secondary is on point. They still have some things to work on Diggs got beat a couple of times one drawing PI when he got dusted. Thompson is an all American! Punting is a scary sight to see.
Alabama’s season-best sack total could have been higher, too. senior defensive lineman Johnny Dwight recorded half of a sack, but according to the SEC, the final play of the game, where he dropped reserve quarterback Nick Starkel behind the line of scrimmage, was not a sack.
THAT’S JUST PLAIN WRONG! I’m calling the SEC office for an explanation. [emoji16]

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: Texas A&M Wrap-up: Tua Shows Out, Bama Shows Up Aggies

Can anyone explain why the OL did so poorly yesterday? Were they simply getting beat man on man or was aTm stacking the box and forcing the pass? I really couldn't tell. All I know is their interior DL was handing our interior OL their jock straps on just about every running play. That has to get better. Yeah, Tua made up for that but he will not be "on" every game. With each passing game there is more film on him and coordinators WILL find a way to slow him down. Maybe not stop him. But slow him down enough that we will have to run the ball.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Can anyone explain why the OL did so poorly yesterday? Were they simply getting beat man on man or was aTm stacking the box and forcing the pass? I really couldn't tell. All I know is their interior DL was handing our interior OL their jock straps on just about every running play. That has to get better. Yeah, Tua made up for that but he will not be "on" every game. With each passing game there is more film on him and coordinators WILL find a way to slow him down. Maybe not stop him. But slow him down enough that we will have to run the ball.
Saban said that they played with an extra man up in run support.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i think we could have run at will had we wanted to run on the edges. for some reason, we felt the need to run right into a stacked box with not very convincing (to me at least) delayed handoffs.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So I guess Tua continually throwing on them for chunks of yards didn't back them out of it. If that's the case then I'll take it.
i mentioned in the game thread last night that it seemed like fischer's defensive strategy was "we are going to make tua beat us with his arm"

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

How is that last play not a sack? What is the rationale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

Nice write up Jess.

I too am concerned about the run game/o line and punting. We have to be good in all phases to beat LSU, Miss State, Auburn. Those teams will be better by the time we play them, and BAMA needs to be also (especially in those areas).

Nice write up Jess.

I too am concerned about the run game/o line and punting. We have to be good in all phases to beat LSU, Miss State, Auburn. Those teams will be better by the time we play them, and BAMA needs to be also (especially in those areas).
aTm run blitz the whole game, daring Tua to beat them with his arm.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Great analysis... I think the kextra man was part of it but I wondered if one of the linemen or backs might be tipping of the run. A few year ago I think we had a lineman that was doing that. Tua is fun to watch.

That’s an interesting strategy
Yeah, one that got them blown out. I see what they were trying to do though, but when making Bama one dimensional they picked the wrong one. The thing about picking your poison is that no matter what you pick it is still poisonous. 14-10 ballooned to 31-13 in a hurry.

Sent from my iPad[emoji208]

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL

How is that last play not a sack? What is the rationale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That one confused me too, though I did see the ball come loose just as he was hit. They called it an incomplete pass.

Thanks for the write-up as always, Jess. Great analysis. I believe that we will continue to clean up the issues. We shut down the QB runs in the 2nd half. Issues like that that come up give the Coaches teaching opportunities. We definitely have some to work on. Such 1st world problems... :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.