Basic woodworking question

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Now that I have a garage for the first time since childhood, I'm looking to build a workbench. I've always enjoyed small woodworking projects, but I haven't had the space to explore that hobby much until now.

I've decided to build this one (LINK), which seems fairly easy to assemble and has a helpful walkthrough for beginners. One part of the guide doesn't seem well-explained, though. Or I'm just dumb (more likely).

He connects the beams using bolt bed mortises, and he recommends squaring off the mortise to better secure the nut. He doesn't really explain how he does this. I can think of a few half-cocked approaches, but none of those seem optimal. There has to be a "correct" way to do this. I'm sure it's a very basic answer -- anyone know?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hammer and chisel. Make a scoring cut on the lines you want to square up. That will sever the fibers and help you keep things clean and square. Take small shavings and slowly work your way back to the line.

This is a pretty good example.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Hammer and chisel. Make a scoring cut on the lines you want to square up. That will sever the fibers and help you keep things clean and square. Take small shavings and slowly work your way back to the line.
Thank you! I suppose the guide does say to use a chisel, but I've never seen this technique, so I wasn't sure how. Thanks again.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
See, now you're making me want to buy more tools. ;)
Isn't that the point of woodworking? Question...how many folks build more stuff for their shop (i.e. tables, jigs, tool storage cabinets, etc) than stuff not for the shop?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.