What was the deal about the delay of game penalty when the refs hadn't signaled the

JDMinHSV

Scout Team
Jan 11, 2007
Whatever the refs problem was, at least they did it to both teams. That was a horrible crew, but not nearly as bad as the ones that called - or should I say, DIDN'T call - the Aubarn game. Talk about having orange and blue blinders on . . .

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I’m still trying to figure out why they didn’t review the play where they gave possession/completion to the TAMU receiver when it was clear he was bobbling the ball and Savion clearly had possession of the ball when they went to the ground?

What was strange about each of the delay calls was the officials started the play clock but never informed either team the ball was ready for play.

Even Nessler or Danielson made a comment to that effect.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
It looked to me like a situation where the referees screwed up and didn't let the players know that the ball was in play and ready to go.
The second call against us may have been a payback call to even things up.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I’m still trying to figure out why they didn’t review the play where they gave possession/completion to the TAMU receiver when it was clear he was bobbling the ball and Savion clearly had possession of the ball when they went to the ground?

What was strange about each of the delay calls was the officials started the play clock but never informed either team the ball was ready for play.

Even Nessler or Danielson made a comment to that effect.
It may have been reviewed but we wouldn't necessarily know it. From what I can see, the A&M player had possession for a couple of steps and did not bobble the ball until he was down. The play was dead as soon as his rear hit the ground since he already.

There could be some doubt as to whether the receiver performed "an act common to the game"; if he did not, then I could see the going-to-the ground rule comes into play and that the ball was still live when Bama possessed it. I think the refs got it right.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'll never boo a player (on any team) unless they take a cheap shot or something similar.

But I'll boo a ref any day of the week and twice on Sundays. I doubt it happened but I hope one of you heard me shout "you suck, refs - this is why people hate you" on the live broadcast...

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
It looked to me like a situation where the referees screwed up and didn't let the players know that the ball was in play and ready to go.
You may be right. I know that I was really confused at the time and Tua asked the ref for an explanation also. It is amazing this year. I just think, oh well, just more yards for the offense to get credit for when we score... :)

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
That's the football equivalent of slashing my tires because you have a flat.....

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It may have been reviewed but we wouldn't necessarily know it. From what I can see, the A&M player had possession for a couple of steps and did not bobble the ball until he was down. The play was dead as soon as his rear hit the ground since he already.

There could be some doubt as to whether the receiver performed "an act common to the game"; if he did not, then I could see the going-to-the ground rule comes into play and that the ball was still live when Bama possessed it. I think the refs got it right.
I could see this as a possibility. To me it looked as though the ball was in his hands (arms extended) but as he brought in to his his body the ball was “bobbled” at which time Savion reached his arms in and began fighting for the ball, all of which took place prior to the TAMU receiver reaching the ground. And the review official may have looked at it. I just thought it warranted a closer look.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
To me, the meore Agregious call was the phantom horse collar later in the game that extended the aTm drive where we had them stopped.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
To me, the meore Agregious call was the phantom horse collar later in the game that extended the aTm drive where we had them stopped.
Announcer said that was a textbook horse collar . . . didn't seem to be. Hope someone with better audio visual skills than I can show the defensive end or linebacker chasing the QB and being held . . . I initially thought it would be at least off setting fouls.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
From row 28, it looked like he grabbed his sleeve.
Announcer said that was a textbook horse collar . . . didn't seem to be. Hope someone with better audio visual skills than I can show the defensive end or linebacker chasing the QB and being held . . . I initially thought it would be at least off setting fouls.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Definitely pulled the back of his jersey by the collar. I thought horse collar tackles had to involve pulling them down by the back of the pads, not just the jersey.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I could see this as a possibility. To me it looked as though the ball was in his hands (arms extended) but as he brought in to his his body the ball was “bobbled” at which time Savion reached his arms in and began fighting for the ball, all of which took place prior to the TAMU receiver reaching the ground. And the review official may have looked at it. I just thought it warranted a closer look.
I've got the feeling that either call would have held up under review. Very tough call and the camera angles may not have been perfect either.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Definitely pulled the back of his jersey by the collar. I thought horse collar tackles had to involve pulling them down by the back of the pads, not just the jersey.
Rule change a couple years ago added the name plate area if grabbed and pulled back immediately.

I did not see the game so can't help on the delay of game penalties specifically. If it's a 25-second play clock (after an administrative stop like a penalty or most change of possession) there will be a whistle with the starting of the play clock. Between 2 regular scrimmage plays the clock is set to 40 seconds and started with no whistle. The ball is ready for play once the umpire spots the ball and steps away.

Two new rule changes this year are to use the regular 40 second clock after a TD/before the try and after a kickoff/before the first play of the next series. Teams need to have their units ready to go in both cases. The ball is ready once the umpire places it and backs away.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.