Alabama's offense will lead the defense to have its worst rank in a decade

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Saban has often said "every play, if properly executed, can go for a touchdown." Taking that into consideration, what do some want the offense to do? If the defense can't defend the plays, are the Alabama players supposed to not score just to give the defense some rest?
To be fair there was at least one drive where this did seem like the strategy ;)

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Saban has often said "every play, if properly executed, can go for a touchdown." Taking that into consideration, what do some want the offense to do? If the defense can't defend the plays, are the Alabama players supposed to not score just to give the defense some rest?
Personally, I would like to see them mix up the explosive plays in the passing game with power football. This offense has the ability to be one of the best in NCAA history if the coaches play their hand right. Alabama has always been at its most dominant by running the ball but normally with so so QB play. Now, we have a transcendent player at QB but at the same time a potentially nasty power run game. This group of linemen are nasty. As great as Jonah Williams is, I think Will may be better. Of course the talent is there at running back. Alabama has the ability to be quick strike but also sport a power running game that opponents should fear.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Personally, I would like to see them mix up the explosive plays in the passing game with power football. This offense has the ability to be one of the best in NCAA history if the coaches play their hand right. Alabama has always been at its most dominant by running the ball but normally with so so QB play. Now, we have a transcendent player at QB but at the same time a potentially nasty power run game. This group of linemen are nasty. As great as Jonah Williams is, I think Will may be better. Of course the talent is there at running back. Alabama has the ability to be quick strike but also sport a power running game that opponents should fear.
In an ideal world, that happens. However, Nick Saban isn't going to do it.

In the first four games, Alabama has averaged 7.75 drives and 38.5 plays in the first half. The average score has been 37-5. Saban isn't going to continue to work the 1s when the score is like that. When the team is averaging under 5 plays per drive, there's not much time to work on the run game. Locks can call two straight run plays and get a 3rd and 6 to only have Tua pick apart the defense for a TD.

That's my point. With as fast as this offense scores and puts the game away, the coaching staff hasn't been able to work on the "flaws."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Personally, I love what the offense is doing. My only complaint is the stifling that occurs when Tua leaves. And it's not all on Jalen either. We've so thoroughly dominated the opponent by that time that we are shutting the offense down. Still, I'll take it because it allows us a better chance to stay healthy for the crunch time of November.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Personally, I love what the offense is doing. My only complaint is the stifling that occurs when Tua leaves. And it's not all on Jalen either. We've so thoroughly dominated the opponent by that time that we are shutting the offense down. Still, I'll take it because it allows us a better chance to stay healthy for the crunch time of November.
He's reverting back to how he ran the offense with a backup when Greg and AJ were starters.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
In an ideal world, that happens. However, Nick Saban isn't going to do it.

In the first four games, Alabama has averaged 7.75 drives and 38.5 plays in the first half. The average score has been 37-5. Saban isn't going to continue to work the 1s when the score is like that. When the team is averaging under 5 plays per drive, there's not much time to work on the run game. Locks can call two straight run plays and get a 3rd and 6 to only have Tua pick apart the defense for a TD.

That's my point. With as fast as this offense scores and puts the game away, the coaching staff hasn't been able to work on the "flaws."
We need to figure out a way to do it because the last part of the schedule will feature teams that can possibly slow Tua down and force us to run the ball. It will be an interesting chess match against defensive coordinators like Dave Aranda and Kevin Steele. Those guys are two of the best at what they do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.