Question: Your thoughts about improving our running attack

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
None. We will be fine. You have to remember that TAMU had extra men in the box and that played a role. Even that, we couldn't get a push. If there was going to be a change, It would probably be at guard position. Womack in place of Cotton? Unlikely, but who knows? But right now, I think it would be best to keep it as it is because they did just fine in pass protection. We have few games to clean up some stuff before LSU and Auburn. If we can't run against Arkansas, then we have serious issue.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think we are running too much RPO. I'd like to see our running back in a deep pro-set behind the QB pistol OR our QB under center more. Would even love to see some I-formations with a blocking back.

That'll not only help our running game IMO, it'll put more pressure on opposing DBs and LBs when Tua fakes the play action and drops to throw.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
None. We will be fine. You have to remember that TAMU had extra men in the box and that played a role. Even that, we couldn't get a push. If there was going to be a change, It would probably be at guard position. Womack in place of Cotton? Unlikely, but who knows? But right now, I think it would be best to keep it as it is because they did just fine in pass protection. We have few games to clean up some stuff before LSU and Auburn. If we can't run against Arkansas, then we have serious issue.
Did TAMU put extra men in the box because they thought they could cover our TNWO? (Truly Nasty Wide Outs) [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Did TAMU put extra men in the box because they thought they could cover our TNWO? (Truly Nasty Wide Outs) [emoji13]
Yep - that's what DCs are up against now - they have to pick which aspect of the O they want to try to stifle. A&M's secondary isn't very good but their DL is legit, so they hoped they could make Bama one-dimensional enough to have a chance. Obviously that didn't work out well.

Every DC is going to have to solve that puzzle, but I don't see anyone who can do it. Even with a sick D top to bottom, Tua is gonna get his yards and points, but if you drop eight into coverage Bama will rush for 300+.

I just don't see a college D that can stop Bama's O. Right now the only way Bama's O gets stopped is by injury or lack of preparation.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think we are running too much RPO. I'd like to see our running back in a deep pro-set behind the QB pistol OR our QB under center more. Would even love to see some I-formations with a blocking back.

That'll not only help our running game IMO, it'll put more pressure on opposing DBs and LBs when Tua fakes the play action and drops to throw.
The RPO actually does help Offense. It benefits the offense in many way. The run play that may not work... could be the same play with a pass. I just thought we have wide diverse play books that identify our playmakers.. the only issue I have is the fake toss sweep QB draw play. I really do hate that play. We haven't had many negative plays this year.....

We have to keep that in mind that we really have cracked the playbook open at this point in the season and we may not have to until the playoff.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Yep - that's what DCs are up against now - they have to pick which aspect of the O they want to try to stifle. A&M's secondary isn't very good but their DL is legit, so they hoped they could make Bama one-dimensional enough to have a chance. Obviously that didn't work out well.

Every DC is going to have to solve that puzzle, but I don't see anyone who can do it. Even with a sick D top to bottom, Tua is gonna get his yards and points, but if you drop eight into coverage Bama will rush for 300+.

I just don't see a college D that can stop Bama's O. Right now the only way Bama's O gets stopped is by injury or lack of preparation.
Any team on the remaining schedule that has legit DL and Secondary ?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

I agree with this but I also agree with what JustNeedMe81 said in reply to it.

I think it's a mix. Our running strength has always been deep I zone runs. We ruin people's cupcakes runnin that scheme. The RPO gives people utter fits BUT I don't see the need to completely abandon our bread and butter run game. Give the RBs a little space to examine the line and build some speed as they approach. With the RPO the RB's choices, and time to make those choices are minimized compared to our traditional run game. There were a few plays that, had it been run out of the I, the RB would have had enough time to read the line and react by bouncing it outside. AS it is, it takes so long for the play to develop that by the time they have the ball in their hands their time and distance for making decisions is narrowed. So it's a little boom or bust.

I'm not saying scrap the RPO, I'm just saying I'd like to see a little more of the traditional pro-style offense.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Any team on the remaining schedule that has legit DL and Secondary ?
National total defense ranking of the remaining SEC teams (non-conference teams are cupcakes):
Arky: #47 (346.8 ypg)
Mizzou: #85 (396.0 ypg)
tenn: #22 (315.5 ypg)
7SU: #39 (335.3 ypg)
MSU: #8 (269.3 ypg)
barn: #23 (315.8 ypg)

MSU is the only team that could potentially slow Bama down, but I don't see them stopping Bama, especially in Tuscaloosa.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I think Jimbo was living in the past and felt like if he could stop the BAMA run game, they would be okay. He must have forgotten who is back the at QB now. The did load the box a lot, and I thought we were a bit unimaginative in our run calls. We seemed to keep plowing the middle when I thought a good sweep would work great. (what ever happened to the old toss sweep). Look at the one "sweep" that went to Ruggs. It's considered a pass, but is really just a fancy end around. The outsides looked open to me, so I don't know why we didn't just try to contain everyone inside and hit the outside lanes a few times.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
National total defense ranking of the remaining SEC teams (non-conference teams are cupcakes):
Arky: #47 (346.8 ypg)
Mizzou: #85 (396.0 ypg)
tenn: #22 (315.5 ypg)
7SU: #39 (335.3 ypg)
MSU: #8 (269.3 ypg)
barn: #23 (315.8 ypg)

MSU is the only team that could potentially slow Bama down, but I don't see them stopping Bama, especially in Tuscaloosa.
Sagarin's schedule rank for each team to show the competition:

Arky: 74
Mizzou: 47
tenn: 131
7SU: 22
MSU: 109
barn: 41

Alabama: 10

Truthfully, I'm not sure how Alabama has had a tougher schedule thus far than LSU or Auburn.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think Jimbo was living in the past and felt like if he could stop the BAMA run game, they would be okay. He must have forgotten who is back the at QB now. The did load the box a lot, and I thought we were a bit unimaginative in our run calls. We seemed to keep plowing the middle when I thought a good sweep would work great. (what ever happened to the old toss sweep). Look at the one "sweep" that went to Ruggs. It's considered a pass, but is really just a fancy end around. The outsides looked open to me, so I don't know why we didn't just try to contain everyone inside and hit the outside lanes a few times.
D. Harris' one long run was also to the outside.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I do think TAMU loaded the box in hopes of stopping the run and bringing pressure on Tua. They pretty much stopped the run, but our OL did a good job in pass protection. I will say it appears that the running plays took an inordinate time to develop. As most have said, an opposing DC has to pick his poison.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I asked that question throughout the game. They didn't have the speed to handle us on the outside...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
That is a bit of a puzzler. I also remember a time or two when we angled off tackle ( instead of between the tackles ) and picked up good yardage. Tua`s TD was a sweep , I think, too.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I do think TAMU loaded the box in hopes of stopping the run and bringing pressure on Tua. They pretty much stopped the run, but our OL did a good job in pass protection. I will say it appears that the running plays took an inordinate time to develop. As most have said, an opposing DC has to pick his poison.
I agree. The running plays from the spread have been late developing and the RPO to Damien where Tua pulled the ball was slow and probably a wrong decision on Tua's part. Damien has proven that if he gets the ball on a straight hand off he can see cut back lanes and make something happen. There are some things to work on in the run game no doubt.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.