Annual TideFans tailgate planning / idea thread

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hey guys (and gals) the TideFans tailgate party that TattooGuy21 organized and funded was a great success - so much so we'd like to start having an annual get-together of TideFans at a game. We learned some things from this one (such as choosing a game later in the season would beneficial due to the heat, the amount of food needed (had way too much), etc).

I'd love to have some of you who attended (as well as those who couldn't) give us some ideas as to what you'd like to see for next year's tailgate. It's early, I know, but we can start putting a plan together based on feedback and that way next fall we can (hopefully) have even more participate.

Any ideas are welcomed, we'll dial it in later.

RTR

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
1- have it on an October game that isn’t Homecoming. Tennessee looks the best right now next year. Homecoming is just too crazy and September is too hot while November is sometimes too cold.

2- probably have a donation system. I kinda agree with uafan’s idea of kickstarter on the other thread

3- have it in the same location. It was perfect

4- the amount of food needed... idk how to fix that.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
4- the amount of food needed... idk how to fix that.
I think this will fix the food planning situation. Let's be honest, this last one was me, 10 days before the game putting together stuff pretty last minute. And yes, some people got lost or ended up not coming by due to the heat.

So starting this far out, putting a date that we can circle in the calendar takes much of the pain out of the planning, ordering, etc. Since catered foods don't have to be ordered until the week OF the game, we should have no problems with having a very real headcount. Also, if people want to bring dishes it would reduce overall cost/ordering. With what I did this year, I just wanted people to have a place to come, relax, and not worry about anything for the most part.

BTW, special thanks to crimsonaudio and uafan4life. Without them, the delicious nuggets and Edgars confectionaries wouldn't have been possible.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Obviously, there needs to be a mechanism for funding it - a way to take donations.

Late October to November seems like a good time for cooler weather.

Loved the pictures.

From afar it looks like TattoGuy21 did a great job organizing this. He or others may want to volunteer to do certain things, but it helps to have one person coordinate as a point person and maybe one other looking over their shoulder to make sure everything is done or to fill in should something happen to prevent them participating. Since we're dealing with money the fewer the better probably.

A TideFans banner on site would be great. Maybe even sell some TideFans t-shirts/hats. Perhaps even a giveaway of some type if donations top the amount needed.

Whatever the case, this was a great idea and I'll eventually make it to one.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
OA TideFans banner on site would be great. Maybe even sell some TideFans t-shirts/hats. Perhaps even a giveaway of some type if donations top the amount needed.
For the record, I had the banner printed and saved it afterwards - it's a heavy duty vinyl print with gusseted rope holes. It's now safely rolled up in it's box and should be usable for a long time to come. If I cannot make it for some reason, I can easily ship it to someone.

Shirts are a great idea, as well.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I think we pick a date etc...Do a little math and figure out what it would cost everyone with a reasonable head count...$20 per person? $25? Whatever it is. Appoint a "treasurer" and start collecting via PayPal/Zelle/venmo sooner than later. I think over the extended period of time folks can "pay" when it fits their budget and not necessarily "on the spot." I think that we would easily cover costs for the tent/TV's/food,etc and give everyone plenty of time to plan to be there.

***I have no idea the cost of this, so please forgive me if I'm out of line with my "prediction" on covering cost. If we did get the expected response/growth for year two, maybe anything extra goes to Nick's Kids??? RTR!!!

...and right on tattooguy21...You should be tattooguy100!!!
Obviously, there needs to be a mechanism for funding it - a way to take donations.

Late October to November seems like a good time for cooler weather.

Loved the pictures.

From afar it looks like TattoGuy21 did a great job organizing this. He or others may want to volunteer to do certain things, but it helps to have one person coordinate as a point person and maybe one other looking over their shoulder to make sure everything is done or to fill in should something happen to prevent them participating. Since we're dealing with money the fewer the better probably.

A TideFans banner on site would be great. Maybe even sell some TideFans t-shirts/hats. Perhaps even a giveaway of some type if donations top the amount needed.

Whatever the case, this was a great idea and I'll eventually make it to one.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
^^^This^^^

Committees don't work for these type of ventures. One person needs to be in control, who can delegate various tasks, as they deem necessary.

Since the guy with the tatts has done such a good job with this one, and has already demonstrated the ability to take on this sort of activity, on his own, we should make him the Big Cheese, by acclimation. He has undoubtedly learned from his initial venture, and this is one case where "youth and a bad haircut beats age and guile". (Apologies to P. J. O'Rourke.)

Can't expect our unpaid Mods to take on more work. So, let's designate tattooguy21 in charge, and start in on planning the next one, including a fundraising mechanism.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I've told crimsonaudio in our text that I have no problem with handling the planning. I've been doing stuff like this for about 18 years at least once or twice a year, so it's not really a hassle.

I know for a 99% fact that I'll be abroad the duration of our regular season next year (returning at the end of November/beginning of December.) I can still plan this 100% though as everything I did was online with a voice follow up/confirmation. I have no problem with it at all.

And how much fun would it be going to a thing that a guy put together from another continent?!

Regarding sales of items, I'd REALLY need to check with the UA people. I have no doubt that there is policy on that. It may have to be one of those, "meet me in back" deals. Not something we really "advertise" on gameday.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
***I have no idea the cost of this, so please forgive me if I'm out of line with my "prediction" on covering cost. If we did get the expected response/growth for year two, maybe anything extra goes to Nick's Kids??? RTR!!!!
No reason why we can't have an annual TideFans "fundraising" campaign, to include folks (like me) who are unable to attend. All overage would go to Nick's Kids.

So, let's say we make the "donation" $20-25. That should be sufficient to cover everything, especially when non-attendees will also be contributing.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've told crimsonaudio in our text that I have no problem with handling the planning. I've been doing stuff like this for about 18 years at least once or twice a year, so it's not really a hassle.

I know for a 99% fact that I'll be abroad the duration of our regular season next year (returning at the end of November/beginning of December.) I can still plan this 100% though as everything I did was online with a voice follow up/confirmation. I have no problem with it at all.

And how much fun would it be going to a thing that a guy put together from another continent?!

Regarding sales of items, I'd REALLY need to check with the UA people. I have no doubt that there is policy on that. It may have to be one of those, "meet me in back" deals. Not something we really "advertise" on gameday.

To openly sale at the game you need a permit from the City of Tuscaloosa, and it can only be stuff with collegiate licensing if it has words like “Bama”, “ Roll Tide”, “ Tide”, etc on the shirt. Atleast that is how they do us when we sell stuff at the game on Bryant drive.

I think it would be better if y’all went that route to sell before the game and folks pick it up at the tailgate or have it mailed.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Figured this would come up...................you think we want someone in the Air Force should do it instead?

Just because they are better organized, and don't eat and live in mud?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I definitely will make a trip back to Tuscaloosa for this. Proper planning has to happen for my family but I’m sure we can do it.
Next years event will have a downloadable everything (map with on foot directions), times, and a few other things such as a cornhole tournament (you should be able to sign up in advance for teams), sign up list for items you'd like to bring.

But back to the core questions posed by crimson,

Any additional feedback from this year. Particularly the catering?

Was there anything anyone DID NOT like or thought was inferior, so we don't waste money on them in the future?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was there for almost 4 hours and didn't eat a bite of food - too hot for me to eat. That would change if it were cooler outside. I did have a few beers (props to those who brought the IPAs). I think that something besides water to drink for those who are looking for alcohol free options would be a plus (maybe Coke or Gatorade).

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I was there for almost 4 hours and didn't eat a bite of food - too hot for me to eat. That would change if it were cooler outside. I did have a few beers (props to those who brought the IPAs). I think that something besides water to drink for those who are looking for alcohol free options would be a plus (maybe Coke or Gatorade).
We had Coke, Coke Zero, and Sprite in 2-liter bottles plus cans of Coke Zero in the coolers.
In fact, this is what I have leftover

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.