Link: Clemson Names Freshman Lawrence Starting QB; Bryant Announces Intent to Transfer

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: Clemson now has a freshman QB as their starter. Dabo names Lawrence starter

I really need to watch more of Clemson and Ohio State. If Lawrence is as good as some think and improves quickly then they could be a problem down the road. If not then Ohio State will remain the one team that scares me a little.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

On a somewhat similar note (or at least a consequence of all these starter changes) ....

Saw where a bunch of guys around the country are now taking redshirts and transferring after the 4th game. Some were even STARTERS but unsatisfied with how much playing time they were getting.

I think this is going to be the new normal.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I don't think Lawrence is ready to be the guy. But the ACC is probably the worst power 5 conference by far, outside of Clemson, so he will have plenty of easy games to get ready for the playoffs.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I don't think Lawrence is ready to be the guy. But the ACC is probably the worst power 5 conference by far, outside of Clemson, so he will have plenty of easy games to get ready for the playoffs.
He is better than Kelly Bryant imo.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

I think Lawrence starting makes Clemson a much more dangerous team. We were easily able to neutralize Kelly Bryant in the playoff last season but if we play them again neutralizing Lawrence will be much more challenging. He's a MUCH better passer than Bryant.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

He is better than Kelly Bryant imo.
I think he has more overall talent, for sure. But I'm not sure they beat A&M without Bryant. It appeared to me Lawrence got a bit rattled. But, whether that's true or not, the ACC is softer than a baby's stuffed animal this year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I think it's similar to our deal with Jalen and Tua except I don't think Lawrence separates himself from Bryant like Tua does from Jalen.

FWIW, I do think Lawrence (in the small amount of PT I've seen) is going to be the real deal. I still like us going head to head with them with Tua slinging the rock. Bring on anybody, IMO!

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

Trevor Lawrence is the real deal. We live about 15 minutes from the high school he attended, and I know several teachers/coaches there. I watched him on TV a few times when his team was playing. Saban took a helicopter there to try to change Trevor's mind once he committed to Clemson. I am glad we have Tua though. I would take Tua over Trevor, but there is a reason Saban tried his best to get him.

Trevor has the rest of the season to improve, and he will be tough to deal with in the playoffs. Of course next year he will be better, as he is still learning.He is not so much dual threat, but is very smart, accurate with a great arm.

Clemson's schedule is so easy... ACC is not that competitive this year. I imagine that Clemson will make it to the playoffs easily the next few seasons.

Last edited:

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017

I wonder if their boards start speculating where Bryant is going to transfer too....

volhater80

Scout Team
Aug 15, 2018

Trevor Lawrence is the real deal. We live about 15 minutes from the high school he attended, and I know several teachers/coaches there. I watched him on TV a few times when his team was playing. Saban took a helicopter there to try to change Trevor's mind once he committed to Clemson. I am glad we have Tua though. I would take Tua over Trevor, but there is a reason Saban tried his best to get him.

Trevor has the rest of the season to improve, and he will be tough to deal with in the playoffs. Of course next year he will be better, as he is still learning.He is not so much dual threat, but is very smart, accurate with a great arm.

Clemson's schedule is so easy... ACC is not that competitive this year. I imagine that Clemson will make it to the playoffs easily the next few seasons.
My exact thought. He's really good and has plenty of games to mature. Bama will have a much harder time scheming for him than Bryant. He's scary accurate and should only improve

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I wonder if their boards start speculating where Bryant is going to transfer too....
Isn’t he a senior who redshirted already? He will probably stay. I know he had health issues a few years ago but can’t recall if he redshirted.

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ

I haven’t watched a lot of Clemson games, but from what I’ve read it seems their defense is the bigger problem.

Perhaps the dline drank too much of the kool aid.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I'm one who thinks Alabama fans often overstate Bama's influence in "breaking" programs, coaches and players but I do think it is possible that in this case Dabo realizes that he has no shot at beating Alabama without taking a chance getting Lawrence as ready as possible. Not that TL does not deserve it but Dabo may have otherwise been content with starting Bryant because of seniority and locker room contentment. But now he feels his hand has been forced.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

I'm one who thinks Alabama fans often overstate Bama's influence in "breaking" programs, coaches and players but I do think it is possible that in this case Dabo realizes that he has no shot at beating Alabama without taking a chance getting Lawrence as ready as possible. Not that TL does not deserve it but Dabo may have otherwise been content with starting Bryant because of seniority and locker room contentment. But now he feels his hand has been forced.
If he is looking ahead to Alabama, Clemson gon' Clemson.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

If Clemson is looking too far down the road to the playoffs, they just might let down their guard and drop one they should have won. To make the playoffs, they need to take it one game at a time.

Right now Georgia will have a collision with Auburn that will knock one of them out. Clemson will likely be #1 or #2 by playoff time if they win em all.
Playoffs may be between Alabama, Clemson, Ohio, and maybe Georgia.
Other teams face longer odds of making the playoffs.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

If Clemson loses one ACC game, then they should go to the back of the line as far as the playoffs are concerned. The conference is that bad. It's worse than the PAC 12 or the Big 12 (although Maryland did knock off Texas so there's that).***

Florida State and Virginia Tech have really let that conference down. Miami has already been pummeled by what is likely to be the 4th or 5th best team in the SEC. So if Clemson drops a game to a Pittsburgh or Syracuse this year, then every other contender deserves to jump in front of them. IMO.

Edited to add: ***LOL, Maryland is in the Big Ten now so I'm giving the ACC credit they don't deserve.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.