Link: Meet Soren Petro, Dumbest AP Voter of the Year

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
I guess it's too much to take into consideration that he still hasn't seen Tua play an entire game this year? The way the second team is getting playing experience, they could probably beat most of the other teams on their own. That experience will pay off down the road.

Roll Tide!

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Yeah, it's the same as every single year nowadays some bozo on each team "guarantees" their team will win the Super Bowl and thinks it will make them the next Joe Namath.
I should've "" blame in that I don't really hold him responsible other than he was the first to accomplish that feat. Of course he did his homework and research, I think these guys throw a dart at a board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not taking anything away from Alabama, but what difference does it make? I just wish the playoff committee would wait until all the conference championship games are completed and have one final poll. No polls during the season.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I heard the interview yesterday after work. The guy first tried to argue that Alabama hasn’t played anyone yet (ignoring the aTm game). Then it was pointed out to him that Clemson hadn’t played anyone either beside the common opponent (aTm). Then his argument was that Clemson beat aTm on the road, and Bama beat them at home.

He argued that Bama lost a lot of players, and Clemson had returned a lot. When it was pointed out that Bama has lost quite a bit of good players in years past, and has proven to come back just as good or better year after year, he makes the predictable deflection of “I’m not voting on past Alabama teams, I’m voting on THIS years team”. The point of Bama earning the benefit of the doubt, seemed to totally go over his head.

PF went on to say that Bama needs to stop scheduling ACC opponents in their openers because obviously the conference sucks according to the claim that Alabama hasn’t played anyone yet this year. He was obviously trying to lure him in to take the bait to turn it around on Clemson, but the guy didn’t bite. The guy just went on to say that everything would take care of itself as the season plays out (duh!).

After it was all said and done, he says that he has had the team’s ranked in this order since the beginning of the year. Clemson would have to struggle a lot in a game, and Alabama would have to totally dominate for him to change his vote. PF then pointed out the aTm game, to which this guy pointed out where the games were played at again. The guy is either a moron, or knew he would create controversy and it would put his name in the spotlight with the mindset of any publicity, is good publicity.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I heard the interview yesterday after work. The guy first tried to argue that Alabama hasn’t played anyone yet (ignoring the aTm game). Then it was pointed out to him that Clemson hadn’t played anyone either beside the common opponent (aTm). Then his argument was that Clemson beat aTm on the road, and Bama beat them at home.

He argued that Bama lost a lot of players, and Clemson had returned a lot. When it was pointed out that Bama has lost quite a bit of good players in years past, and has proven to come back just as good or better year after year, he makes the predictable deflection of “I’m not voting on past Alabama teams, I’m voting on THIS years team”. The point of Bama earning the benefit of the doubt, seemed to totally go over his head.

PF went on to say that Bama needs to stop scheduling ACC opponents in their openers because obviously the conference sucks according to the claim that Alabama hasn’t played anyone yet this year. He was obviously trying to lure him in to take the bait to turn it around on Clemson, but the guy didn’t bite. The guy just went on to say that everything would take care of itself as the season plays out (duh!).

After it was all said and done, he says that he has had the team’s ranked in this order since the beginning of the year. Clemson would have to struggle a lot in a game, and Alabama would have to totally dominate for him to change his vote. PF then pointed out the aTm game, to which this guy pointed out where the games were played at again. The guy is either a moron, or knew he would create controversy and it would put his name in the spotlight with the mindset of any publicity, is good publicity.

His 15 minutes are up.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I don't see an issue with it really. The polls in September are just something to talk about. If we're still beating people like this in November and the others don't look so strong, and he still has us at 3, then it would seem odd. Until that time, it doesn't mean a thing.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
He’s gotten attention for being a contrarian. Isn’t that a significant theme in the media nowadays? Sounds like a “pollster” that wants to become a media personality.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
His rubric is defensible. I disagree, but that doesn’t make him dumb. However, I’m grateful to Mr. Petro for providing me a golden opportunity to quote Ralph Waldo Emerson: “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds...”

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I thought Finebaum was spoiling for a fight and was unprofessional throughout that interview.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
He pretty much epitomizes what most football-intelligent observers have long despised about the polls...

He decided in the preseason that Clemson was number one and he's not going to move them from that spot until he has no other choice, i.e., until they lose.

ETA:
That attitude is one of the primary reasons why, one, the AP Poll now means virtually nothing in the grand scheme of things and, two, the playoff committee doesn't release any rankings until late in the season.
Absolutely the reason the AP poll is no longer relevant.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
His rubric is defensible. I disagree, but that doesn’t make him dumb. However, I’m grateful to Mr. Petro for providing me a golden opportunity to quote Ralph Waldo Emerson: “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds...”

If you're talking about, "I started with Clemson and they haven't lost," that's fine.

But that bonehead is actually trying to argue that Clemson played a tougher schedule when one look at the source he cites proves the exact opposite. Beating ATM on the road is apparently akin to knocking off the 95 Nebraska Cornhuskers in this idiot's view.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's the fact that Clemson is going to have to stumble and take a fall before I just wipe them off the map. Now that doesn't necessarily have to be a loss, and Alabama's going to have to beat someone of consequence .
the follow-up to this from a SMART reporter is, "Okay, whom specifically would Alabama have to beat to be considered "of consequence"?

If Alabama beats LSU.....by ANY margin.....in Baton Rouge, is that enough?

LSU, after all, has beaten two pre-season top five teams, neither at home.

That's what smart reporters ask.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
the follow-up to this from a SMART reporter is, "Okay, whom specifically would Alabama have to beat to be considered "of consequence"?

If Alabama beats LSU.....by ANY margin.....in Baton Rouge, is that enough?

LSU, after all, has beaten two pre-season top five teams, neither at home.

That's what smart reporters ask.
Was waiting for Paul to ask him something along those lines or "so until Clemson and Georgia lose you're going to continue to be the one outlier that has Alabama third?"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Was waiting for Paul to ask him something along those lines or "so until Clemson and Georgia lose you're going to continue to be the one outlier that has Alabama third?"
That would have been provocative, but the fact he's an outlier in and of itself doesn't mean a whole lot.

ESPN savaged Corky Simpson once they let out his name and at that time both Miami and Washington were still undefeated. In fact, they ridiculed us because there were still SEVEN unbeaten teams (three with ties), and the AP even had Michigan ahead of us despite a tie that particular week.

But as I've stated ad Tideseum, it's his argument that makes no sense. "I think Clemson would beat Alabama head to head" would be acceptable, but he hovers around the edges, almost like he's doing it more for the attention it gets him than from any actual knowledge of the subject.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.