News Article: WSJ: Why the left is so consumed with hate

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Breitbart represented the worst of the right and Bannon took it even further. They and others had profound influence on their audience. When alive, he made known his intent to do just that. So yes, he was a member of the right who created his media outlet to influence politics in the guise of being a member of the media. In a sense, it is media by definition but it is also a propaganda of sorts.
You are asking Does Steve Bannon and Robert Mercer represent the Right?

Those guys are the media.

Not the people. Doesn't matter if they are right, left, middle....they do not represent me or anyone else. They are what's wrong with the political climate in our country.

If you want to make the point that the far right media is a problem, I'm OK with that.

Leave the people out of it. They are who we should be embracing and supporting.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
It used to be that a Buckley or a Reagan or "name your own conservative" would make an intellectual argument. They held optimism for all the American people. And so on.

Then people like Breitbart came along and said outright that conservatives had to fight fire with fire. They looked for the most extreme examples of "incivility" of the left and matched or exceeded the tone and tenor. This was done purposely and has added to the poisonous nature of politics and allowed the rise of Trump, who is essentially the culmination of all that effort.

That criticism is before I even begin to tear down that article as tripe - which it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxHjjJK3BUk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Those guys are the media.

Not the people. Doesn't matter if they are right, left, middle....they do not represent me or anyone else. They are what's wrong with the political climate in our country.

If you want to make the point that the far right media is a problem, I'm OK with that.

Leave the people out of it. They are who we should be embracing and supporting.
the far right "media" is the problem in large part because the crap they spew gets passed along as valid information by people. many of them "just looking for information" or "just asking questions"

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
Trump speaks to people that haven't been political in any way. Things that transcend politics like "making America great again". Both sides of the aisle should be able to get behind that. "Draining the swamp", all sides of the political aisle are against that.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Trump speaks to people that haven't been political in any way. Things that transcend politics like "making America great again". Both sides of the aisle should be able to get behind that. "Draining the swamp", all sides of the political aisle are against that.
trump is a carnival barker con-man. always has been. he is not transcending anything and is not resonating with anyone but marks and other con-artists. all that is coming into focus is how many of them are in our country.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
trump is a carnival barker con-man. always has been. he is not transcending anything and is not resonating with anyone but marks and other con-artists. all that is coming into focus is how many of them are in our country.
"There's a sucker born every minute" PT Barnum

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
the far right "media" is the problem in large part because the crap they spew gets passed along as valid information by people. many of them "just looking for information" or "just asking questions"
Thanks for making my point. The media continually attempts to divide us as a country. It's from both sides too, not just the right.

The good news is most people don't let the media dictate their opinions.

There are kool-aid drinkers, I'm sure. But no one I know does that. That's the barometer I use.

YMMV....

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I actually watch some of both and the networks that are not Fox are the same as Fox just on the opposite side. So, to be fair whichever political leaning you have seems to make me-you-whomever think the others are terrible and a bunch of liars. I think to some extent they are both right and both wrong and truth lies somewhere in the middle. I don't mean this toward you 92 just my thoughts on all of us.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Ted Cruz and his wife being shouted down/forced out of restaurant by the intolerants is a prime example of what the author was alluding to. It's just complete stupidity going on. But, I'm afraid, that will end sooner than later.

Seriously, why bother someone having dinner and be a complete a-hole. There's a time and place, but that ain't it.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Ted Cruz and his wife being shouted down/forced out of restaurant by the intolerants is a prime example of what the author was alluding to. It's just complete stupidity going on. But, I'm afraid, that will end sooner than later.

Seriously, why bother someone having dinner and be a complete a-hole. There's a time and place, but that ain't it.
Now see......this post is about the "people" - not the media.

There is a difference.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I actually watch some of both and the networks that are not Fox are the same as Fox just on the opposite side. So, to be fair whichever political leaning you have seems to make me-you-whomever think the others are terrible and a bunch of liars. I think to some extent they are both right and both wrong and truth lies somewhere in the middle. I don't mean this toward you 92 just my thoughts on all of us.
i disagree that they are just the same as fox. fox pimps stories like pizza gate, seth rich, etc. and all sorts of ridiculous conspiracies constantly. granted, some of that is put forward in their "totally not news, entertainment" shows like tucker carlson and sean hannity's.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Thanks for making my point. The media continually attempts to divide us as a country. It's from both sides too, not just the right.

The good news is most people don't let the media dictate their opinions.

There are kool-aid drinkers, I'm sure. But no one I know does that. That's the barometer I use.

YMMV....
i didn't make your point.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
i disagree that they are just the same as fox. fox pimps stories like pizza gate, seth rich, etc. and all sorts of ridiculous conspiracies constantly. granted, some of that is put forward in their "totally not news, entertainment" shows like tucker carlson and sean hannity's.
fox & friends was still pushing the Kavanaugh Doppleganger BS the day after the guy that started it apologized as you said same as Seth Rich. They are State media of the right, period. They only have a couple of actual news people and those are just tokens so they can act like they are real journalists

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
fox & friends was still pushing the Kavanaugh Doppleganger BS the day after the guy that started it apologized as you said same as Seth Rich. They are State media of the right, period. They only have a couple of actual news people and those are just tokens so they can act like they are real journalists
but whatabout cenk uyger

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Karl Popper said:
Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.
If an idea is antithetical to American principles, the people who are speaking out against those ideas aren't the intolerant. They are people who are willing to stand up for principles, that are now being replaced with patriotic pageantry by the right. I've seen a whole lot of "the party of Lincoln" references as of late, as an attempt to try and distance the right from the white supremacists that have been so excellently courted since 2016. It is funny that the idea that it was the Republican Party that released the slaves, is the same party that elected Trump is even gaining any traction. However, it is a popular soundbite because when people forget that most issues are nuanced, its easy to attempt to drop such soundbites as an end to the conversation.

I am tired of being expected to not call a spade a spade when it comes to bad ideas. Just because someone is willing to fact check you or doesn't agree with your position, doesn't mean they are being intolerant. It means that either come up with a better argument in favor of your ideas or figure out how to package them in a more appealing format. The right has been doing the latter for years.

All this coupled with the right decrying their oppression at the hands of the "hateful, intolerant" left is absolutely laughable. Last I checked, any measure of progress is attained through compromise. I will give you one guess as to the party that has systematically attempted to restrict rights of minorities time and again. Now many may attempt to bring up the so called oppression of the right, and even more particularly the christian conservative right. Last I checked there was no other "oppressed" group that had their slogans on the US currency, enjoyed tax benefits for Sunday club houses, and national holidays that are celebrated/pushed in the public mind 24/7 for the two months leading up to them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.