RBR: Why Isn’t Skyler Punting Very DeLong?

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Thanks for sharing. Interested thoughts about this style vs. JK. I know that Coach Saban said he had a great week of practice, but didn't had the same confidence in the game. I surely hope he works through this soon and can at least settle in and develop some consistency.

OakMtn4Bama

All-American
Jan 10, 2007
Trussville
He seemed to look better to me on the punts where he just stayed squared up and kicked it. Don't much like the jog right then kick. But the coaches are letting him do it. I guess they have a specific reason.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Who coaches the punters and kickers? Seem like players always gets worst when they get to Alabama.
We have a dedicated special teams coach this year for the first time ever. Jeff Long, I think. He came from A&M last year.

So that was a big change to help special teams. Our punters have usually been fine, as have our coverage and return abilities and kickoff abilities. Just place-kicking really - and now apparently punting.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
We have a dedicated special teams coach this year for the first time ever. Jeff Long, I think. He came from A&M last year.

So that was a big change to help special teams. Our punters have usually been fine, as have our coverage and return abilities and kickoff abilities. Just place-kicking really - and now apparently punting.
The new special teams coach this year is Jeff Banks. He did come Texas A&M.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I said this after the Louisville game and I still believe it: he’s got stage fright.
He either can’t block out the noise, or he’s overwhelmed by being on TV, the number of people present (and watching) and the knowledge that he’s under a microscope.
I saw it in his eyes in the Louisville game; only time I saw him Saturday after his last punt he was walking to the sidelines with his head down - all the way.
He needs a shrink, and fast; this isn’t going to magically get better on its own and it’s obviously not a skill problem. It’s a head problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I said this after the Louisville game and I still believe it: he’s got stage fright.
He either can’t block out the noise, or he’s overwhelmed by being on TV, the number of people present (and watching) and the knowledge that he’s under a microscope.
I saw it in his eyes in the Louisville game; only time I saw him Saturday after his last punt he was walking to the sidelines with his head down - all the way.
He needs a shrink, and fast; this isn’t going to magically get better on its own and it’s obviously not a skill problem. It’s a head problem.

I completely agree!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
The new special teams coach this year is Jeff Banks. He did come Texas A&M.
Banks was VERY well regarded by A&M's former punter Shane Tripuka who I've met several times at a friends house. (Trust me the Kevin "Rumlin" rumors were true... He probably liked the bottle more than Sark or Joey Freshwater.) After it was announced Banks was going to BAMA, he texted my friends son "Jimbo screwed up letting Banks go."

One thing Banks typically did not have at aTm was a freshman punter. I expect him to try and bring in punter who they Redshirt next year so that we get in a pattern of punters winning the job their Jr year. I'd expect Cochran will also put about 20-30 pounds on DeLong helping with his leg strength and distance. It is kind of ridiculous to think punting is our weakest link.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Agree 100%.
You don't kick, hoping you can nail it.
You kick with confidence KNOWING you will nail it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Banks was VERY well regarded by A&M's former punter Shane Tripuka who I've met several times at a friends house. (Trust me the Kevin "Rumlin" rumors were true... He probably liked the bottle more than Sark or Joey Freshwater.) After it was announced Banks was going to BAMA, he texted my friends son "Jimbo screwed up letting Banks go."

One thing Banks typically did not have at aTm was a freshman punter. I expect him to try and bring in punter who they Redshirt next year so that we get in a pattern of punters winning the job their Jr year. I'd expect Cochran will also put about 20-30 pounds on DeLong helping with his leg strength and distance. It is kind of ridiculous to think punting is our weakest link.
The current kicker commit from Hoover does placekicking and punting. Would be nice if Bulovas and DeLong become consistent enough to be able to redshirt him. Not sure if that'll happen, though.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I really don’t get the mental things. I punted in HS and I realize it’s totally different than college, still don’t get it. I’m working with a HS kid now trying to get him to relax and just do what he knows to do. Kid can hit the ball well and put a nice spin on it. He gets in a hurry and mechanics go out the window, because he’s afraid he’s gonna get it blocked. If you have punted long enough to be doing it at the college level, you ought to be able to just focus on your mechanics and do your job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.