Our OL Pass Protection vs TAM was excellent

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I know we did not run block very well but we did not give up a sack and only had 1 QB hurry against A&M. I know Tua was getting the ball out fast but this is a very good sign when you throw the ball 33 times not counting scrambles.

In contrast, our defense had 7 sacks and 12 QB hurries. Appears we are getting our pass rush going.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Three things: I hope the offensive line can improve at run blocking. I am really hoping that we can get Anoma involved rushing the passer. Finally, establish more depth behind Williams, Buggs and Davis on the front.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Wasn't happy with the number of blitzes with lack of results. At least half our sacks came from disguised pressure packages it seemed.

Just a dangerous game to sell out that often with minimal results IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Wasn't happy with the number of blitzes with lack of results. At least half our sacks came from disguised pressure packages it seemed.

Let's just hope the guys with the acumen to take advantage aren't as mobile as Mond is and they get smothered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I know we did not run block very well but we did not give up a sack and only had 1 QB hurry against A&M. I know Tua was getting the ball out fast but this is a very good sign when you throw the ball 33 times not counting scrambles.

In contrast, our defense had 7 sacks and 12 QB hurries. Appears we are getting our pass rush going.
Well, while a factual assertion I suppose, I`m not as down on the O line as I was when I realized what they were up against scheme wise. I`ll reserve judgment moving forward for when they`re not blocking against a loaded box, if that ever occurs. With the way Tua can spin it, I just can`t imagine everybody doing what aTm tried to do for the rest of the season.

I don't know about that. We did send of pressure from Xavier later in the game but the DL was bringing it on just about every play. Buggs 3.5 sacks are a testament to that. The QB runs that Mond had were good but we were right there for the tackle. Then the second half we relaxed.

Tua had all day to through. Danielson had something up where the pocket was formed very well for Tua to through. On one throw he was standing there for a while. He had a lifetime to through it. Run blocking, I am not so concerned about because they sold out to stop the run and we torched them with the pass. You really couldn't say that in previous years. Now, what is the opponent going to do?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Tua had all day to through. Danielson had something up where the pocket was formed very well for Tua to through. On one throw he was standing there for a while. He had a lifetime to through it. Run blocking, I am not so concerned about because they sold out to stop the run and we torched them with the pass. You really couldn't say that in previous years. Now, what is the opponent going to do?
I assume you are using voice to text? :D

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Yes he does have all day which is a credit the OL. He also goes through his progressions exceptionally well.

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I believe this is the first OL we have had that are better at pass protection then run blocking.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
There's a lot of reasons why the pass blocking could appear better. Tua gets rid of the ball quick which helps. Maybe in practice we are calling more pass plays than in the past so the guys are getting better at it. Maybe the OL is just more motivated to pass block for a guy like Tua who's deadly accurate so they are paying more attention to technique and assignments.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
There's a lot of reasons why the pass blocking could appear better. Tua gets rid of the ball quick which helps. Maybe in practice we are calling more pass plays than in the past so the guys are getting better at it. Maybe the OL is just more motivated to pass block for a guy like Tua who's deadly accurate so they are paying more attention to technique and assignments.
I don't think they were as bad as we thought the last couple of years. Jalen nailed early a lot and doesn't slide in the pocket well. Tua does a lot of little things with his feet to move around just enough in the pocket to be able to get rid of the ball.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Have to congratulate TAMU for selling out to stop the run. It worked.

Somebody will need to send a memo to the rest of the SEC that they can sell out to hurt our run game. ;)

TUA SEZ THANKS...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.