Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
SEC Preview and Predictions: Week 5
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 26th, 2018 02:04 AM
Last week’s record: 6-2 (75.0%)
Season record: 37-8 (82.2%)

When everyone started calling for Vanderbilt to upset South Carolina right along with us, The Predictions Dept. knew it was in trouble in Week 4. Vanderbilt proved to be a mirage, while the Gamecocks bounced back nicely from […]

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks, Jess, yet another weekend of pretty much blah games. The only game, and I hesitate to say this, I see differently is once again the USCe game. They look better but I cannot figure out which team will show up on Saturdays. I think UK is overrated. The outcome of this game should however unmask the pretender.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I always enjoy reading your articles, Jess, but my 12th grade English teacher would be going to town with her red pen on your comma usage.
:biggrin2:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Thanks, Jess, yet another weekend of pretty much blah games. The only game, and I hesitate to say this, I see differently is once again the USCe game. They look better but I cannot figure out which team will show up on Saturdays. I think UK is overrated. The outcome of this game should however unmask the pretender.
Unless they're both pretenders.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks again for another wonderful prediction thread, Jess. I like your thoughts on all the games.

Some good match ups this weekend, for sure!

I keep wondering about the potential upsets. What if Arky beats aTm? Tennessee beats Georgia?

I also feel the MS State/Florida game will be very competitive and as mentioned, the SC/Kentucky game as well.

No way am I proclaiming a Gator win - I have learned my lesson!

However, here's a couple quick notes that may be of interest.

Florida has a freshman running back out of Georgia named Dameon Pierce. He was named freshman of the week in the SEC last week. From 24/7:

Playing in three games this season, Pierce leads the Gators in rushing with 228 yards on the ground on 21 carries with two touchdowns, which are impressive numbers for a freshman, especially with the talented backs in the Gators crowded backfield. Pierce is also averaging an impressive 10.7 yards per carry early in the season.
Tennessee was the first game of the season that we had DE Cece Jefferson and LB David Reese back on defense. Their return had a huge impact on the game, defensively.

Florida still has a ton of work to do on offense. I'm still not sold on Franks being "the one" to get Florida where it needs to go. I also feel we are not utilizing WR Travon Grimes and WR Kadaious Toney, both extremely talented play makers who deserve more touches.

Going up against a veteran dual purpose QB such as Nick Fitzgerald will be daunting and it will be interesting to see what Florida defensive coordinator Todd Grantham puts together. Ultimately, this may indeed be what decides who wins.

Thank you again, Jess. Have a great week and best wishes for the predictions dept! :p

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I always enjoy reading your articles, Jess, but my 12th grade English teacher would be going to town with her red pen on your comma usage.
:biggrin2:

Then I'd have to get my editor's pen out and have a discussion about AP Stylebook "conversational journalism" with her. ;)

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Then I'd have to get my editor's pen out and have a discussion about AP Stylebook "conversational journalism" with her. ;)
So, what you're saying is that comma splices and other grammatical errors are okay in journalism even though they're frowned upon in all other forms of literature and even in business emails?

That would certainly explain why I've noticed grammatical errors on the front page of an estimated 99% of all the newspapers I've ever read.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think Florida beats Miss St and watch out for that Ole Miss/LSU game. La Tech dropped 400 yards on LSU's defense in Tiger Stadium last weekend and the final score wasn't indicative of how close that game really was. This is somewhat of a rivalry game for Ole Miss, not that of the Egg Bowl, but these two teams do have SEC history of hating each other. I figure LSU will ultimately pull away. But if Ole Miss can get on a roll offensively and get a stop here and there, it could put a lot of pressure on LSU's offense.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I think SC beats UK this weekend. I would feel better about it if it was at SC but I think UK will start thinking about their winning streak and it will be out the door.

Also I never noticed the grammatical errors mentioned above. I like your conversational style and there is no doubt your knowledge is unparalleled on this board.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
So, what you're saying is that comma splices and other grammatical errors are okay in journalism even though they're frowned upon in all other forms of literature and even in business emails?

That would certainly explain why I've noticed grammatical errors on the front page of an estimated 99% of all the newspapers I've ever read.
I guess what I'm saying is that what some call "errors," others don't see anything wrong with at all, depending on the format.

Most novels would have "errors" throughout. Thoughts of the narrator, descriptions of scene, quotes of characters (to include use of dialect) all deviate from textbook English. It's also what makes those works interesting. And even within the boundaries of "textbook English," there are writers like C.S. Lewis, who committed the unpardonable sin of writing in second person in many of his books, but it helped draw the reader in.

Speaking specifically of newspapers, if that newspaper is using AP Stylebook, the newspaper is "right" and textbook English is "wrong" in any conflict -- when used in that specific format. And then you have the New York Times, which has its own stylebook (hence why the Times would quote Nick Saban as "Mr. Saban" whereas no other American newspaper uses "Mr.," "Mrs.," etc., when reporting quotes). My first newspaper didn't use AP Stylebook, but my second assignment (with a magazine company) did, and it took some time for me to break habits and adopt that style.

Our previews and wrap-ups are hybrid stories/op-ed pieces, which is how analysis tends to read. In order to make them interesting, we try to inject humor and be more conversational in our approach. Most seem to appreciate it.

That doesn't mean there are never grammatical errors; our staff is small and we're our own editors, proofreaders and uploaders. Mistakes will slip through. The uploader sometimes removes a line of text. But mostly, you read it as I hear it in my head. The three writers most influential to my style were Lewis Grizzard, C.S. Lewis and Max Shulman ("Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys"). What comes out is typically a mash-up of what I want to say, presented in a way they'd say it, as a group.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
On the subject of writing, I am often amazed at how certain authors can bring the reader into a whole new world using words in a certain way - or style.

I spent one summer in college taking some electives I needed to get where I wanted to go with my major, and ended up with a lot of spare time and went through the entire Robert E. Howard "Conan the Barbarian" series. It's about a dozen paperbacks. This was back in the mid 70's. I kept all those books and have since gone through them a second time and am doing so a third time right now. Not everyone appreciates fantasy fiction, but for those who do, the writing of Robert E. Howard is nothing short of amazing.

I enjoy your writing style, Jess. Please do not change.

Thank you!
Baz

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
On the subject of writing, I am often amazed at how certain authors can bring the reader into a whole new world using words in a certain way - or style.

I spent one summer in college taking some electives I needed to get where I wanted to go with my major, and ended up with a lot of spare time and went through the entire Robert E. Howard "Conan the Barbarian" series. It's about a dozen paperbacks. This was back in the mid 70's. I kept all those books and have since gone through them a second time and am doing so a third time right now. Not everyone appreciates fantasy fiction, but for those who do, the writing of Robert E. Howard is nothing short of amazing.

I enjoy your writing style, Jess. Please do not change.

Thank you!
Baz
I am the "King" of run on sentences.

And use commas like they're going out of style...

Not sure what that says about me, but if doing so were an offence, they would've locked me up and thrown away the key long ago...

I too really like Jess' writing style.

Which is certainly not to say that he suffers from the same affliction I do.

And also hope that he remains faithful to it...

Oh and, great win yesterday Baz!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.