News Article: America doesn’t actually lead the world in mass shootings.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
For those interested, here is Snopes' take on it:

Snopes says Mixture.

They have no issue with the accuracy of the data; their primary beef is simply that they believe it is misleading. I'm pretty sure that's an opinion, not a fact, but nevertheless...

The first issue they have is with the study's definition of a mass shooting, though they admit there is not a consensus on that point. The study's definition, focusing on public mass shootings, is a shooting involving “four or more people killed in a public place, and not in the course of committing another crime, and not involving struggles over sovereignty.”

The second issue they have is that the study uses the mean rather than the median number of related deaths in a year, making a more significant statistical difference for smaller countries being compared to the much larger population of the United States. Their opinion is that the average number of people murdered in such a way over a period of time is less important than how typical - or how often - these events occur. On the other hand, a median figure is always going to have a larger statistical margin of error for smaller sample sizes - likely putting a larger sample size at a statistical advantage or disadvantage, depending upon whether the median on the smaller sample sizes tends to fall on the positive or negative side of the error.

Basically, they say it's misleading because - while more people per capita were killed in several European countries as compared to in the U.S. over the given time period - most of the European countries in most years experienced no mass shootings over the given time period. On the other hand, the same thing can be said of most of the States in the U.S. - a closer population comparison to most European countries than the U.S. as a whole.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
For those interested, here is Snopes' take on it:

Snopes says Mixture.

They have no issue with the accuracy of the data; their primary beef is simply that they believe it is misleading. I'm pretty sure that's an opinion, not a fact, but nevertheless...

The first issue they have is with the study's definition of a mass shooting, though they admit there is not a consensus on that point. The study's definition, focusing on public mass shootings, is a shooting involving “four or more people killed in a public place, and not in the course of committing another crime, and not involving struggles over sovereignty.”

The second issue they have is that the study uses the mean rather than the median number of related deaths in a year, making a more significant statistical difference for smaller countries being compared to the much larger population of the United States. Their opinion is that the average number of people murdered in such a way over a period of time is less important than how typical - or how often - these events occur. On the other hand, a median figure is always going to have a larger statistical margin of error for smaller sample sizes - likely putting a larger sample size at a statistical advantage or disadvantage, depending upon whether the median on the smaller sample sizes tends to fall on the positive or negative side of the error.

Basically, they say it's misleading because - while more people per capita were killed in several European countries as compared to in the U.S. over the given time period - most of the European countries in most years experienced no mass shootings over the given time period. On the other hand, the same thing can be said of most of the States in the U.S. - a closer population comparison to most European countries than the U.S. as a whole.
Yeah it has been pretty obvious to most folks for awhile now, but it doesn’t fit the narrative that this is a US only problem and that individual gun ownership is bad.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
The ease with which the irresponsible can obtain a gun is a fault.
I can certainly agree with this statement. Now, I'm not smart enough to have the answer that will make everyone happy. I really believe that people who are diagnosed with certain mental illnesses should not be able to purchase guns or ammo, at the risk of violating ones personal right and freedoms. I do think that the safety of everyone (strictly in cases like this) are more important to that of the few. That having been said, I think that if you go down this road then the parameters have to be clearly defined and very strict standards applied so that one can't be diagnosed with a "mental illness" on the whim of a doctor.
Truth of the matter is that I truly do not see any kind of fool proof system of preventing these types of things from happening.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.