Saban on Jalen Hurts 9-26-18

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
When I hear "2 quarterback thing" I think 2 guys of about equal ability but maybe with their own strengths, that get about equal playing time.

We don't have that. We have a starter that is clearly much better than the next guy, and about any other qb in the nation for that matter, with a 2nd string guy that can manage when the other team is blown out. That 2nd string guy may or may not be able to beat the good defenses to win titles. I hope we don't have to find out.
I agree, but I also don't think this is really a "2 quarterback thing." Tua is the starter, and stays in the game until it is out of reach. It just happens that in our first four games that means his day is done really early. We will eventually probably have a game that is competitive for four quarters, and then Tua will get all the snaps, and probably put up some monster stats.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The harsh reality, you probably don't win a championship without Tua this year.
I just can't buy that. The only thing that came between Hurts and a championship against Clemson was a last second score. I don't know how much better Hurts is, and I'd say yes if he lines up against Georgia or Ohio State or the like it could be an issue.

But, Alabama won a championship in a game when G-Mac had broken ribs and was 6/11 passing. Hurts might not have what it takes to win against 5% of Alabama's opponents, that might be true. But he has what it takes to win against 95% of them, so in almost every scenario in which Tua has to miss time, Hurts is a perfectly capable replacement.

it still eats at me.
Doesn't bother me one teeny tiny bit. Alabama lost one SEC game and won a championship. I don't share the obsession with fans of that team.

all the more reason to get Tua off the field as early as is feasible in every game.
And this is Hurts greatest value. Saban knows Hurts won't blow a big lead, considering he never has. So he can keep Tua healthier by inserting Hurts earlier than a normal backup. A healthy Tua is way more important than a 4,000 yard passing Tua.

Last edited:

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
Sorry, but Jalen is not the answer if Tua goes down. Jones might not be either, but I really hope that Saban understands what he has and does not have in Jalen.
I don't know how to tell you how to get in touch with Coach Saban, but maybe he has another opening for an analyst.

Maxbama

1st Team
Oct 16, 2012
Crossville, TN
I don't care to get into the whole "What if Jalen has to lead the team?" or "What if Tua gets hurt and Jalen still can't pass?"

I want to focus on the narrative of a very young man who is mature beyond his years. A man who is younger than Tua but was in college a year before because he qualified early. A young man who is set to graduate in 3 years.

A young man who many thought was spitting in coach's face early in the season, who may have made a verbal misstep or not communicated the way he wanted. But, a young man who, through his actions, has demonstrated consistent selflessness, steadfastness, and dedication to his his teammates, his coaches, and the greater whole of Alabama football.

Through his actual behavior - not his Dad's or his Mom's or what insiders are say - Jalen has demonstrated himself to be a person of strong character. A friend and an ally who stands tall even when the scales are tipped against him.

Is he perfect? No. None of these kids are.

But in this modern age of understandable self centeredness I'm proud of the fact that we have Jalen Hurts on our team. Even if he decides to go elsewhere next season and even if this is all because he thinks it's the best thing for him to do.

He has thoroughly earned the respect of a coach who has the highest possible standards for his players. That really says everything that I need to know about Jalen Hurts.
I don't give a damn about Saban being blinded or not being able to see what he has - he sees all that. But if a young man can give enough of himself to so thoroughly earn the respect of the greatest college coach to ever play the game then I am thrilled to have him on the team in any capacity. Of course this is much easier to say now that Tua is the starter, but...
Well said and I agree completely.

volhater80

Scout Team
Aug 15, 2018
Some of yall seem to be taking offense to B1Gs statement but I would wager he's not wrong and it's not a knock on Jalen. I called the 2016 game before it started. I told my buddies Clemson would win cause of our QB situation. We also had an outstanding defense, better than this years, but give a Heisman QB 99 plays and he's going to beat you if your offense can't move the ball. Truth is its a new year and Jalen is doing the mop up duty now so we still don't know if he's capable of putting enough points up or converting enough 3rd downs to win against the other big 3 in a game from start to finish. He's improved but how much is still a question mark.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Some of yall seem to be taking offense to B1Gs statement but I would wager he's not wrong and it's not a knock on Jalen. I called the 2016 game before it started. I told my buddies Clemson would win cause of our QB situation. We also had an outstanding defense, better than this years, but give a Heisman QB 99 plays and he's going to beat you if your offense can't move the ball. Truth is its a new year and Jalen is doing the mop up duty now so we still don't know if he's capable of putting enough points up or converting enough 3rd downs to win against the other big 3 in a game from start to finish. He's improved but how much is still a question mark.
Agreed. I don't know why people are so up in arms over BIGs comment. Especially since that is true of probably every team with a legitimate shot at the playoff. If their staring QB goes down their backup likely won't be able to win them a Championship.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Your totally right- and so is B1G, but it just doesn't feel like the right time to say it- and we ALL know it already.

It just feels a little off-color for the moment, and I usually think B1G strikes a good tone.

But with everything going on in football with transfers, the thing to focus on right now is a kid who is sticking with his team and doing everything he can to get better at the game and at his position. That's worth a round of applause and we could leave the obvious at the door.

We all know he ain't the answer, but that feels like piling on at the moment. It sounds like he's a real standup guy who makes others around him better by his example.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Agreed. I don't know why people are so up in arms over BIGs comment. Especially since that is true of probably every team with a legitimate shot at the playoff. If their staring QB goes down their backup likely won't be able to win them a Championship.
Worked well for Ohio State.

Out the following teams, which team would most likely win a title with their backup?:

Alabama (Jalen Hurts)
Ohio State (Tate Martell)
Georgia (Justin Fields)
Clemson (Chase Brice)
Oklahoma (Austin Kendall)
Washington (Jacob Eason)
Auburn (Malik Willis)

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I didnt like losing to Auburn, either, especially as it seems like it was avoidable. But sometimes, lessons need to be learned, and if this was a needed lesson, I'll take the Nattie over the barn any day. My Auburn friends dont talk about it, because they stunk up the joint so bad for the next couple of games, and they pretty much know they are 8 weeks away from a good thrashing, and us probably with another championship.

The worst thing about losing to Auburn has been UCF, and I can handle that.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Worked well for Ohio State.

Out the following teams, which team would most likely win a title with their backup?:

Alabama (Jalen Hurts)
Ohio State (Tate Martell)
Georgia (Justin Fields)
Clemson (Chase Brice)
Oklahoma (Austin Kendall)
Washington (Jacob Eason)
Auburn (Malik Willis)
I mean sure but Ohio State was an outlier. And no idea. Probably us by virtue of us being Alabama and having CNS but idk why that matters.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Have to agree. Jalen might be able to get us through to the SEC championship, but without exponential growth, I don't think we get past UGA there, and if we were to make it to the playoffs, it would be really sketchy making it all the way without a lot of luck.

We don't really know what we have with Jones. I'd really like to see him getting more time so we could see if he can distribute the ball. He might not have to be Tua as long as he can progress through and hit the 3rd and 4th read with some degree of consistency.

Jalen has improved significantly since the Championship game. Don't discount his ability to pass against Georgia if he needs to this year...I think we'd be in better shape this year than last for sure.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
It just means more of what we have seen the first 4 weeks. It means Tua’s stats will take a hit some. But the fact he is doing what he is in only 2.5 QTRs may mean more in the long run than stats alone. It will give him something that no other QB has or has really ever had. He is running away with the Heisman and if we keep winnjng and he keeps getting 250 yds, 3TDs a game he will win it easily. I am for team goals #1 and dont care anything about padding stats. If you are better than everyone else and only playing half as much, its still obvious you are better.

I don't think minutes played will affect Tua's Heisman chances....a 70 percent plus completion rate, amazingly high TD pass percentage per attempt, 3+ TDs in two quarters of play and amazing highlight reel of TD passes should do just fine.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I called the 2016 game before it started. I told my buddies Clemson would win cause of our QB situation.
Here's part of where I get caught up in defending Hurts. I said on this very forum that the game could be a train wreck. I had grave concerns, but they had more to do with the OC situation than anything else.

People still to this day discount what went down, even though it was arguably the worst OC situation a team has found itself in with only one week to prepare for a championship game. Yes, OCs have changed prior to the bowl game, but that typically happens with something like a month to prepare, Hurts and Sark had one week of prep time, one week! This is a true freshman, 18 year old, playing in front of a huge crowd, and he has one week to get used to a completely new play caller?

Now you can say oh well the offense wasn't that different, and Sark was already familiar with the team, but he wasn't and Hurts wasn't used to him calling the plays! And we saw that in the actual game, we saw an issue with timing of the plays, we saw Clemson defenders being ready for the play and Alabama unable to counter that. There's no question at all, 100%, any analysis of the game will show this, that the actual calling of the plays was disruptive. Yet, because Alabama lost 35-31, because Hurts struggled (he did put Alabama in the lead the last time he had the ball, so his poise wasn't the issue) and Clemson scored in the last second to win the game, that Hurts couldn't win that game.

I strongly refute that and I always have! My assertion is and will continue to be, that if Kiffin had been focused and capable of doing his job (unlike the Washington game, which is why he wasn't OC for the Clemson one) that Alabama would win that game, and it would have been with Hurts at quarterback. Kiffin could have and would have beaten Clemson twice in a row.

And just go back and review, consider the plays that the calling of the plays (not necessarily the play calling itself, but the timing) disrupted the offense, and consider how different the outcome would have been. All it would have taken is one or two offensive plays to turn out differently, and you can find more than that, that were disrupted. That's not even counting the fact that I consider Kiffin to be a better play caller in the first place. So... that's one that's always stuck with me, Alabama wins if Kiffin does his job! Period.

Last edited:

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Here's part of where I get caught up in defending Hurts. I said on this very forum that the game could be a train wreck. I had grave concerns, but they had more to do with the OC situation than anything else.

People still to this day discount what went down, even though it was arguably the worst OC situation a team has found itself in with only one week to prepare for a championship game. Yes, OCs have changed prior to the bowl game, but that typically happens with something like a month to prepare, Hurts and Sark had one week of prep time, one week! This is a true freshman, 18 year old, playing in front of a huge crowd, and he has one week to get used to a completely new play caller?

Now you can say oh well the offense wasn't that different, and Sark was already familiar with the team, but he wasn't and Hurts wasn't used to him calling the plays! And we saw that in the actual game, we saw an issue with timing of the plays, we saw Clemson defenders being ready for the play and Alabama unable to counter that. There's no question at all, 100%, any analysis of the game will show this, that the actual calling of the plays was disruptive. Yet, because Alabama lost 35-31, because Hurts struggled (he did put Alabama in the lead the last time he had the ball, so his poise wasn't the issue) and Clemson scored in the last second to win the game, that Hurts couldn't win that game.

I strongly refute that and I always have! My assertion is and will continue to be, that if Kiffin had been focused and capable of doing his job (unlike the Washington game, which is why he wasn't OC for the Clemson one) that Alabama would win that game, and it would have been with Hurts at quarterback. Kiffin could have and would have beaten Clemson twice in a row.

And just go back and review, consider the plays that the calling of the plays (not necessarily the play calling itself, but the timing) disrupted the offense, and consider how different the outcome would have been. All it would have taken is one or two offensive plays to turn out differently, and you can find more than that, that were disrupted. That's not even counting the fact that I consider Kiffin to be a better play caller in the first place. So... that's one that's always stuck with me, Alabama wins if Kiffin does his job! Period.
Bro, no disrespect intended WHATSOEVER - but, I think your take on this has been printed in more places than the bible.

I show up to a Best Western, open the drawer by the bed and there's a copy of your defense for Jalen's championship performance.

Don't get me wrong, there's some good stuff in there - I just don't know if it's for me. Ya know?

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Speaking of good books, 5-to-1 every Vegas oddsmaker would still make 'Bama the favorite for the NC even with Hurts starting at QB the rest of the season.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Speaking of good books, 5-to-1 every Vegas oddsmaker would still make 'Bama the favorite for the NC even with Hurts starting at QB the rest of the season.
I don't know about that, but our running game and defense would have to improve. Problem is, without #13, our running game would be under more pressure than now because the passing game wouldn't be as efficient.

Voodoo on all that anyway. Don't put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I see no reason to play Jalen as many snaps as possible, except for misplaced loyalty. OTOH, I see no reason not to play Tua as few snaps as possible. Perhaps the two aren't that far apart...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Bro, no disrespect intended WHATSOEVER - but, I think your take on this has been printed in more places than the bible.

I show up to a Best Western, open the drawer by the bed and there's a copy of your defense for Jalen's championship performance.
I keep seeing people argue he couldn't beat Clemson though, like the whole offensive coordinator thing didn't happen. I'm not defending his performance, I'm saying you don't pull the rug out from under the guy and he plays better, you don't screw up when you get the plays in, and it makes it harder for Clemson to do what they did. I can watch and pinpoint plays where the play calling was an issue, where Clemson sniffed things out, etc.. So yeah each time I see someone act as though the coordinator situation central to the performance, wasn't an issue, I'm probably going to point out what I think should have been obvious and yet remains a consistent omission.

Jalen could have beaten Clemson. That's not a defense of his performance, that's just derived from watching the game and pointing out an issue that was obvious.

Edit: Just so we're clear on what happened, the way some people talk about it is like Alabama got beat by three touchdowns or something. Alabama got beat on the last drive of the game after taking the lead with very little time remaining. Yes, I can point out numerous things, including Jalen's play that would have resulted in a win if done differently, but it's just categorically false to come to the conclusion he couldn't win, because he obviously could have. To draw the conclusion that you knew all along Jalen wouldn't be able to win is to ignore the very obvious fact that he could.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.