Saban on Jalen Hurts 9-26-18

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
I keep seeing people argue he couldn't beat Clemson though, like the whole offensive coordinator thing didn't happen. I'm not defending his performance, I'm saying you don't pull the rug out from under the guy and he plays better, you don't screw up when you get the plays in, and it makes it harder for Clemson to do what they did. I can watch and pinpoint plays where the play calling was an issue, where Clemson sniffed things out, etc.. So yeah each time I see someone act as though the coordinator situation central to the performance, wasn't an issue, I'm probably going to point out what I think should have been obvious and yet remains a consistent omission.

Jalen could have beaten Clemson. That's not a defense of his performance, that's just derived from watching the game and pointing out an issue that was obvious.

Edit: Just so we're clear on what happened, the way some people talk about it is like Alabama got beat by three touchdowns or something. Alabama got beat on the last drive of the game after taking the lead with very little time remaining. Yes, I can point out numerous things, including Jalen's play that would have resulted in a loss, but it's just categorically false to come to the conclusion he couldn't win, because he obviously could have.
Maybe I missed something before yours, but I reviewed back and it was you that brought up the Clemson game that was nearly 2 years ago. Your post...

KrAzY3

BamaNation Hall of Fame Join DateJan 2006Posts8,006Post Thanks / Like

I just can't buy that. The only thing that came between Hurts and a championship against Clemson was a last second score.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Maybe I missed something before yours, but I reviewed back and it was you that brought up the Clemson game that was nearly 2 years ago. Your post...
Volhater wasn't quoting me though and both that statement and his were in response to B1g. The previous post was a specific response to this statement: "I called the 2016 game before it started. I told my buddies Clemson would win cause of our QB situation."

My point all along was that Hurts has his flaws, but the criticism shouldn't descend into hyperbole. I even saw someone here say if Hurts was the starter Alabama would have lost to Louisville. He could have beat Clemson, he beat them the following year, and I've made my other point but it doesn't all rest on his shoulders either.

There's no debating who is better between Tua and Hurts. It's not even a fair comparison, Tua is even better than last year, and Hurts is modestly improved at best. If Hurts continues to improve, he could be a real weapon, but he's never going to be the passer Tua is. I just never saw the doom and gloom some people saw. Alabama was a contender with JPW, they won a championship with broke ribs GMac. Hurts is still an above average quarterback, as people pointed out he has more TDs than Stidham, as analysts pointed out he's a take for most teams. He has flaws and has issues, but he's about as good a backup as you could hope for and should be be pressed into duty it'll look a heck of a lot better than when Brodie got hurt, that's for sure.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I see no reason to play Jalen as many snaps as possible, except for misplaced loyalty. OTOH, I see no reason not to play Tua as few snaps as possible. Perhaps the two aren't that far apart...
I agree, except it means that Jones isn't given the same chance to develop that Tua got last year. I understand that Tua was a special talent and that probably led to the steps taken to develop him last year. But after the spring game I had hoped to see Jones get meaningful snaps of the same type this season.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I agree, except it means that Jones isn't given the same chance to develop that Tua got last year. I understand that Tua was a special talent and that probably led to the steps taken to develop him last year. But after the spring game I had hoped to see Jones get meaningful snaps of the same type this season.
Big surprise here, I'm pretty keen on defending Hurts. Having said that, to me the idea of redshirting Hurts and using him as an emergency backup never really appealed to me. I could tolerate it, but I'm still kind of crossing my fingers and waiting to see Hurts play his fifth game. I do not like the idea of burning that playing time on someone then putting them on ice. If that was the plan, I'd prefer Mac get the snaps all along, so I'm halfway there.

Bryant0086

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2009
Bless Jalen, Tua and Nick's hearts !! Not only are they doing what is best for the team, but I think they are also doing what is best for the players as well. Now that Jalen has been watching Tua, he really seems to be developing more into a passer and a QB who can go through his progressions better. MOST importantly, he isn't scared to pull the trigger. I think Tua has probably learned how to protect the ball and limit turnovers better by studying Jalen while he plays. I think Nick is also learning that a prolific offense and defense can co-exist. Jalen may not get but one more shot at being a starter, but he will be VERY prepared. He could go to a team like TCU that is really a QB away from conference champions and make a huge difference.

Bryant0086

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 1, 2009
I agree 100 %. We should never start a 26-2 Jalen Hurts if Tua goes down, nor awhat appears to be an efficient passer in Mac. We should let Josh Jacobs just run the wildcat offense like he did in high school.

Sorry, but Jalen is not the answer if Tua goes down. Jones might not be either, but I really hope that Saban understands what he has and does not have in Jalen.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Maybe Jalen will shock everyone and play for Bama next season as well. He would probably get more national exposure being a backup at Bama than starting for some second-tier school. He could get media exposure playing at some perennial Top 10 team but I don't know how many will be looking for a QB. I assume if he does leave he'd want to stay in the South somewhere and play. Next season Penn State will need a replacement for McSorley but I can't see Jalen heading that far north to play.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I'm glad Jalen is getting the snaps that he is. I don't think it hurts Tua in the Heisman race. Tua can keep from getting worn out and taking too many big hits over the course of a season.
A more important reason for my thoughts is this: I like the loyalty I see in CNS. JH has been a great team mate, leader and person during his time at Bama and regardless of anything else he (in my opinion) has earned some loyalty. The team likes him and the coaches like him and while he's not as good as Tua as a qb he has made much improvement from last year to this year. We're in a very good place right now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.