Saban on Jalen Hurts 9-26-18

Kpro

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 5, 2018
If there were remaining questions about Jalen Hurts' status, Nick Saban answered it Wednesday.

The same day news of former Clemson starter Kelly Bryant's transfer went public, Saban said they are "going to play him as much as we possibly can" moving forward.

How will this affect Tua's playing time and what do you guys think about this?

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
If there were remaining questions about Jalen Hurts' status, Nick Saban answered it Wednesday.

The same day news of former Clemson starter Kelly Bryant's transfer went public, Saban said they are "going to play him as much as we possibly can" moving forward.

How will this affect Tua's playing time and what do you guys think about this?
It just means more of what we have seen the first 4 weeks. It means Tua’s stats will take a hit some. But the fact he is doing what he is in only 2.5 QTRs may mean more in the long run than stats alone. It will give him something that no other QB has or has really ever had. He is running away with the Heisman and if we keep winnjng and he keeps getting 250 yds, 3TDs a game he will win it easily. I am for team goals #1 and dont care anything about padding stats. If you are better than everyone else and only playing half as much, its still obvious you are better.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sorry, but Jalen is not the answer if Tua goes down. Jones might not be either, but I really hope that Saban understands what he has and does not have in Jalen.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Sorry, but Jalen is not the answer if Tua goes down. Jones might not be either, but I really hope that Saban understands what he has and does not have in Jalen.
So if Jalen isn't the answer and if Mac isn't the answer then who is that answer? We can't put Taulia in a #13 jersey either.

Really though, somebody brought up the possibility of Jalen never leaving and becoming a grad assistant under Saban.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So if Jalen isn't the answer and if Mac isn't the answer then who is that answer? We can't put Taulia in a #13 jersey either.

Really though, somebody brought up the possibility of Jalen never leaving and becoming a grad assistant under Saban.
The harsh reality, you probably don't win a championship without Tua this year.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The harsh reality, you probably don't win a championship without Tua this year.
Have to agree. Jalen might be able to get us through to the SEC championship, but without exponential growth, I don't think we get past UGA there, and if we were to make it to the playoffs, it would be really sketchy making it all the way without a lot of luck.

We don't really know what we have with Jones. I'd really like to see him getting more time so we could see if he can distribute the ball. He might not have to be Tua as long as he can progress through and hit the 3rd and 4th read with some degree of consistency.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
It just means more of what we have seen the first 4 weeks. It means Tua’s stats will take a hit some. But the fact he is doing what he is in only 2.5 QTRs may mean more in the long run than stats alone. It will give him something that no other QB has or has really ever had. He is running away with the Heisman and if we keep winnjng and he keeps getting 250 yds, 3TDs a game he will win it easily. I am for team goals #1 and dont care anything about padding stats. If you are better than everyone else and only playing half as much, its still obvious you are better.
When we get a big lead Coach Saban will take the air out of the ball if Tua is in our not. I agree with getting the starters out with a big lead. If Tua gets hurt in garbage time all you will hear is why was he in the game with the second and third team o-line. I have full faith and confidence in Coach Saban. Most of the guys he puts his faith in eventually come around. Coach sees something the novice can't its why he is the greatest coach in the BCS and now the playoff era.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I really hope Saban knows what he’s doing, too.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Have to agree. Jalen might be able to get us through to the SEC championship, but without exponential growth, I don't think we get past UGA there, and if we were to make it to the playoffs, it would be really sketchy making it all the way without a lot of luck.

We don't really know what we have with Jones. I'd really like to see him getting more time so we could see if he can distribute the ball. He might not have to be Tua as long as he can progress through and hit the 3rd and 4th read with some degree of consistency.
All I have been yammering about all last year was for Coach to start the best QB. Coach is doing that now. If Tua goes down and we don't win 'em all then I know we have done the best we could do and I am content with that. If we can't win with the two backups then so be it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really hope Saban knows what he’s doing, too.
It is not about that. It is about the things that made it so hard for Saban to name Tua the starter to begin with. There is a reason that you lost to Auburn last year, and it isn't because Auburn had the better team or because of your injuries at LB.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It is not about that. It is about the things that made it so hard for Saban to name Tua the starter to begin with. There is a reason that you lost to Auburn last year, and it isn't because Auburn had the better team or because of your injuries at LB.
Indeed, we committed suicide at Auburn, and I will never get over that. Even though we went on and won it all, it still eats at me.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I'm very happy he is staying. It is the best thing for Alabama, and I hope that it is the best thing for him also. This is not the moment to criticize his throwing skills. Jalen's throwing is much improved - mostly because he's watched Tua throw it trusting his 5 star receivers to make a play. Probably, the ball placement has improved a bit also.

Any team that takes an injury at QB has a difficult path through the playoffs against elite defenses. We are better off with Jalen than without. I am grateful for this decision.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
It looks like Jalen will stay.. we will know for sure when he goes in the game Saturday. I am glad he is staying but in blowout games I would like Mac Jones to play at least half, if not all, the 4th quarter after Jalen plays in the 3rd quarter.

Mac needs experience passing. If Tua does get hurt (I pray that does not happen), we will need both Jalen and Mac to get us to the playoffs.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
I have dogged Jalen pretty hard since about the middle of the 2016 season. I said pretty often since about the middle of last season that Tua was the better qb (I caught a lot of flak for that too). That said, Jalen has improved. I assume the credit, at least in part, is due to Enos, and though I thought Jones had a much better spring game, I am not sure he's the better qb now.

In any event, Saban also said this...“He deserves to play. He’s a good player. And there may be a time in the future where he becomes the guy if something happens. So, we’re not hoping for that narrative, certainly, but I think it speaks volumes of his character to stick with his teammates, be a part of this team, finish the season. And I’ve always said how much respect I have for both the guys. But Jalen has -- and how you handle things when you’re in a difficult situation, I think, speaks volumes of who you are."

Hopefully Tua is healthy all year long, but if not, we could win it all with Jalen. I don't think it's likely, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'm counting on a healthy #13. Though I don't really like pulling him so early, he's naturally going to be less likely to go down if he's on the sideline in a blowout.

oh, and the article...https://247sports.com/college/alaba...lay-him-as-much-as-we-possibly-can-122537264/

Last edited:

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
On the surface, I take CNS' comments to mainly apply to this season. Maybe JH has already communicated his post-December plans when he graduates, I have no idea, and I'm not going to speculate. JH's comments made in the summer aside, I'd say that JH has acquitted himself well in regards to how this situation has been handled, and he clearly sees the benefit of staying at Alabama and learning under Enos, Locksley, and Tua. Make no mistake, this is Tua's team, and I concur with others that if Tua goes down to injury for an extended amount of time, it'll be very, very tough for Alabama to win the national championship.

We don't necessarily know what this is going to look like once JH graduates, just as much as we didn't really think the situation would've played out as it is right now. To be honest, CNS persistence to his message appears to be paying off better than at Clemson (for example); I hope it works out for the rest of the season, and I also hope that Tua will get more and more snaps. That'll mean the score has to be closer by halftime than it has been thus far, and I think it'll happen; there is always an extremely close game by the national champions each year.

Bamafan in BGKY

3rd Team
Jan 1, 2005
Bowling Green, Ky
In our world of “Me” culture, it’s refreshing and I think needs to be celebrated when a kid chooses Team over self. Way to go Jalen. RTR. You are s great example of a true Crimson Tide!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
In our world of “Me” culture, it’s refreshing and I think needs to be celebrated when a kid chooses Team over self. Way to go Jalen. RTR. You are s great example of a true Crimson Tide!
It certainly appears that Jalen`s character is an unfortunate rarity in these days and times. You talk about role models for young people? There`s one. I certainly don`t pretend to know, but it wouldn`t surprise me if that`s not Jalen`s ultimate purpose for being on the planet. I personally like the thought of him understudying under Coach Saban and becoming a coach himself down the road.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
It certainly appears that Jalen`s character is an unfortunate rarity in these days and times. You talk about role models for young people? There`s one. I certainly don`t pretend to know, but it wouldn`t surprise me if that`s not Jalen`s ultimate purpose for being on the planet. I personally like the thought of him understudying under Coach Saban and becoming a coach himself down the road.
Speaks of good character certainly but perhaps more so of good judgement. IMHO, this is the best for the team AND Jalen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.